Sergei Polunin - news and discussions - cont'd

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes she is dancing. And yes I love watching her. But this was quite an impromptu trip out and as its already been pointed out performances are nearly always sold out. Although when it's only one ticket you're after you can get lucky. As I said I may see if it's possible tomorrow 

• Like 1

On 18/01/2019 at 21:24, BeauxArts said:

The reason this Google translate link came up with garbage is simple: it thinks it's being asked to translate from Russian. If you change the link to read "de" instead of "ru" In this part

translate.google.com&sl=ru

It will translate properly. The hack someone suggested of changing Russian to German in the drop-down didn't work for me on mobile so I examined the url 😀

• Like 1

Well. Even allowing for Google translate, he comes over as an arrogant tosser. Sorry. And using his ballerina as a quasi-human shield. I’m due to see the MacGregor triple bill in February, but after that I’ll give Munich a rest if he continues to dance. It won’t hurt Munich or Polunin, but it’ll make me feel better. 

Edited by Vanartus
  • Like 8

The interview Polunin gave on Monday morning is available on Youtube - I will post a link when next able. I have been told by a friend in Munich who went to both performances that he did not appear at the stage door at all, leaving many disappointed fans/admirers - some waited for 2 hours apparently before being told he was not going to be appearing. He seems to have an unerring ability to disappoint on so many levels. 

• Like 3

Such a great shame that someone with a Vladimir Putin tattoo on his chest, who posted on Instagram "to slap fat people" and who had a serious go at the gay community gets so much attention.

There are so many wonderful, intelligent, disciplined dancers who have far more interesting messages to send out into the world, constructive messages for our young people... but they barely get any press attention.

Polunin is not a good role model for our young people and as far as I am concerned Polunin has next to nothing wise or constructive or intelligent to say. 

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

Such a great shame that someone with a Vladimir Putin tattoo on his chest, who posted on Instagram "to slap fat people" and who had a serious go at the gay community gets so much attention.

There are so many wonderful, intelligent, disciplined dancers who have far more interesting messages to send out into the world, constructive messages for our young people... but they barely get any press attention.

Polunin is not a good role model for our young people and as far as I am concerned Polunin has next to nothing wise or constructive or intelligent to say. 

Honestly, this.

And I feel like dancing is one of those things where separating the artist from the person is not at all easy. He'd be out there dancing Spartacus with that hideous tattoo and as an audience, we're supposed to not care? Nah I'll pass. 

There's a bouquet of incredibly talented, charismatic dancers who can project far more positive, enlightening, delightful things onstage than he can. I often feel that Polunin dances for himself anyway, while a lot of other dancers dance with the audience, so to me that's way more valuable. 

• Like 10

I’m starting to be almost as disappointed with Zelensky as I am with Polunin. Even if he wants to remain loyal to him and still feels sorry for him, allowing him to dance is indulging him. I’m not sure how much he’s distanced himself and by association the company from Polunin’s views, or condemned them in the latest press release, but it’s not good. And I was shocked that the Times describes Zelensky as a friend of Putin which is depressing. Sigh...

• Like 8

This Putin stuff is  tough one.  I hold no brief for the master manipulator, but Polunin has every right to support him if that floats his boat.  What bothers me is when he muddles it up with his art.  There is no way a dancer carrying a face of a famous person on their body can ever be fully in character for roles they play.  

• Like 6

On 20/01/2019 at 02:54, Naomi M said:

Now his Instagram account is hacked and has nothing left inside.

https://www.instagram.com/sergeipolunin/

Call me cynical but the timing of the “hack” is interesting...

How long is it going to be before we’re told that he hasn’t posted himself for months; the hackers must have been making the offensive posts and now they’ve deleted everything? 

• Like 7

It's all such a joke and an insult to so many people. Soon the Polunin camp will declare it all Fake News ( Polunin stated he is a Trump supporter after all) and they will state he hasn't said anything at all.

The interview clearly demonstrates Polunin DID say what he said via his Instagram account: he answered the journalist's questions about him saying "to slap fat people" and "to man up". If it wasn't him, Polunin should have made this clear during the interview. He didn't. 

Lasting damage has been done and cannot be smoothed over simply by deleting his Instagram account and pretending for it to have been hacked. 

Edited by Xandra Newman
typo
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, Anna C said:

There’s a fitting gif/meme used on Twitter - a waiter bearing a tray, saying “Here’s that attention you ordered”.  Surprised nobody posted it on Polunin’s IG account (pre hack).

The oxygen of publicity is not doing him any good.  If the press, public and audiences just totally ignored him he might find that he actually has to man-up and do some proper work for a living.....be it creative or otherwise.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

There is no way a dancer carrying a face of a famous person on their body can ever be fully in character for roles they play.

Lowering the tone somewhat, I know, but what about his poor girlfriends? Having to gaze at Putin's face must be such a joy during those intimate moments.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Anna C said:

Call me cynical but the timing of the “hack” is interesting...

How long is it going to be before we’re told that he hasn’t posted himself for months; the hackers must have been making the offensive posts and now they’ve deleted everything? 

Except that he's already admitted the account was hacked and (I think) that the postings were his.

20 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Lowering the tone somewhat, I know, but what about his poor girlfriends? Having to gaze at Putin's face must be such a joy during those intimate moments.

He was actually asked about that by one of the journalists in the interview :)  Perhaps his next girlfriend will share his political views - that may have been what his answer was trying to imply (although since the text is in German and I doubt he speaks the language perhaps we shouldn't judge by it)

2 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

There is so much I could say that would lower the tone even further.....but I can't!!  :)

• Like 6

2 hours ago, alison said:

Except that he's already admitted the account was hacked and (I think) that the postings were his.

Ah, ok. Mind you, people seem to conveniently forget what they’ve said so they can change their mind at a later date and deny all knowledge.