BRB London & Birmingham Nutcracker Casting 2017

I wish there were a trailer that represented what the BRBs Nutcracker in the round at the RAH was going to be like, instead of a few shots of Clara dancing around, although I perfectly understand why there isn't, but I am trying to persuade friends to go, whilst being a bit unsure myself of what to expect....  I am only basing my enthusiasm on the ENB's Swan Lake and R and J in the round, which were lovely experiences.  I am hoping that there will be 60 twirling snowflakes, but maybe I have got it all wrong!  Does anyone else have a better clue?

seems to me that' the this a balance to be struck #

tell people the casting early  - those who  want to see / not see a particular  dancer  are happy UNLESS

illness / injury /  massive dummy  spit  causes a change of casting  ( and not just of the your favoured / disfavoured dancer regardless of rank  -  as  the  loss of  one  performer doesn;t necessarily mean a straight substitution as it seems to be straight theatre or MT  , but a whole reshuffle  based on the  choreographer / director /  company   preferences and pressure  and  a domino effect  as a solosist steps  up to cover a leading  or principal  and a  junior  or coryphee steps up to cover them  and  so on  and so on )

tell people the casting late - those with preference to cast   moan  , but you don;t have to  deal with  questions and moans if the casting has changed  ( and  speculation  as to whether someone has had a dummy spit or  is pregnant  etc etc  when it might be that  they've  just   twisted something or had a  dodgy curry  and got food poisoning and be advised to take a few days / weeks off  full on work )

I am afraid that I missed you at the Friend’s Doooooo Janet.

Spoiler alert ....... I leant from David Bintley that the audience wil be included in the snowfall at the R A H. You have been warned !

More importantly he told me that Hobson’s is due back the season after next. Whopeee!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, George C said:

Spoiler alert ....... I leant from David Bintley that the audience wil be included in the snowfall at the R A H. You have been warned !

More importantly he told me that Hobson’s is due back the season after next. Whopeee!

Am already thinking about who will dance Maggie Hobson. Always difficult though to follow the wonderful Karen Donovan in this role.

• Like 3

No clue there I’m afraid Tony but Mr.Bintley did mention Will and Lachlan in the same breath. My feeling is that new boy Hamish Scott is going to climb fast and to my mind looks very much like the young Robert Parker. Plus he tells me that ‘ Mr ‘ Parker is his role model.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George C said:

Whoopee indeed!

14 hours ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Am already thinking about who will dance Maggie Hobson. Always difficult though to follow the wonderful Karen Donovan in this role.

My money would be on Samara Downs.  She and Lachlan were great together in Slaughter on 10th Avenue so this should work.  

I have terrific memories of Karen but I also cherish the performances of Marion Tait and Ambra Vallo amongst others in the role.

• Like 2

I've just seen online that BRB's performance of The Nutcracker today (Sunday 10th December) was cancelled because of the snow. Such a shame for all the audience for whom this would have been a Christmas treat and a pity for the dancers, especially those in the leading roles, who will have missed a show.

• Like 3

On 10/11/2017 at 03:19, Two Pigeons said:

You may feel  that I am overreacting but the lacking of casting is a perennial problem with BRB.  I would suggest that if follows of the Royal Ballet had to make significant investments for tickets when they do not know the casting they would be slightly more sympathetic. 

Try being a follower of The Australian Ballet. Casting never available until just before each run, sometimes a week ahead, mostly two or three days. Unless you live in Melbourne or Sydney, there are also significant investments in travel and accommodation and sometimes time away from work (yes I know they dance occasionally in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth).

• Like 3