December -

28:  Cesar Morales, Momoko Hirata, Karla Doorbar

29:  Matinee - Brandon Lawrence, Celine Gittens, Arancha Baselga

29:  Evening - Tyrone Singleton, Jenna Roberts, Laura Day

30:  Matinee - Mathias Dingmann,  Miki Mizutani, Karla Doorbar

30:  Evening - Brandon Lawrence, Celine Gittens, Arancha Baselga

31:  Matinee - Tyrone Singleton, Jenna Roberts, Laura Day

31:  Evening - Momoko Hirata, Cesar Morales, Karla Doorbar

Some nice casting, but I'm a bit disappointed that London isn't going to get the chance to see the Lawrence/Matthews partnership in this ballet, which is just magical.  Ah well, fingers crossed for Sleeping Beauty!

• Like 2

This REALLY does annoy me as there is no casting up for the season at the Hippodrome which would indicate that the company views the loyal Birmingham audience as somehow less important than the London one.   I am afraid it just illustrates how the home audience is taken for granted.

I am getting to the stage that if the Birmingham casting is not up by the weekend I will cancel all my direct debits by which I support the company.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

This REALLY does annoy me as there is no casting up for the season at the Hippodrome which would indicate that the company views the loyal Birmingham audience as somehow less important than the London one.   I am afraid it just illustrates how the home audience is taken for granted.

I was about to say maybe as a far larger venue, and without a Christmas ballet tradition, they felt it necessary to announce RAH casting first.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

Could it be that they're contractually obliged to release casting for the RAH performances by a certain date?  When the Bolshoi and Mariinsky tour to London they release casting far in advance of their intervening "home" performances (or at least they used to), presumably at the behest of the Hochhausers.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

I am getting to the stage that if the Birmingham casting is not up by the weekend I will cancel all my direct debits by which I support the company.

I'm slightly surprised at this reaction.  A difference of a couple of hours in announcing the casting for what are essentially different productions is not really an indication of how audiences are seen (nor is there any such indication from historical actions).

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I'm slightly surprised at this reaction.  A difference of a couple of hours in announcing the casting for what are essentially different productions is not really an indication of how audiences are seen (nor is there any such indication from historical actions).

And it's probably worth throwing in here that the casting for the two recent BRB Sadler's Wells shows was announced with barely a week to go in each case (I've just checked).

You may feel  that I am overreacting but the lacking of casting is a perennial problem with BRB.  I would suggest that if follows of the Royal Ballet had to make significant investments for tickets when they do not know the casting they would be slightly more sympathetic. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, alison said:

Now all I want is for them to make gallery standing available so I stand (no pun intended) a chance of being able to afford to go :(

Yes.....the tickets for this run are very expensive so sadly I will be giving it a miss.  I might have splurged for a Brandon/Delia cast, but hey ho.  I will add that Brandon and Celine are also lovely together, but in Nutcracker there is special magic between him and Delia.  Actually, there is in everything they do together!

I'm very sympathetic - I see BRB infrequently enough that I'm happy to take pot luck with the casting (as others have said, whoever you get, they'll be worth seeing), but it must be very frustrating if you've developed favourites and can't book for more than a performance or two.  I just don't think that they relax this policy especially for Londoners, at least not by choice.

As an aside, it might be a case of familiarity breeding contempt but there are/have been some RB dancers - including at Principal level - who I more or less actively avoid, whereas there are no BRB dancers who bring out this impulse in me.  So there's another reason why I'm more complacent about BRB delaying their announcements than RB :)

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

You may feel  that I am overreacting but the lacking of casting is a perennial problem with BRB.  I would suggest that if follows of the Royal Ballet had to make significant investments for tickets when they do not know the casting they would be slightly more sympathetic. 

I'm sympathetic to people having to book without casting (and FAOD I tend to wait until BRB and ENB announce casting before booking, even though that often means I don't get the precise seat I want).  I'm not sympathetic to people who fly off the handle and start throwing around unwarranted accusations.

Also a bit peeved at the implicit suggestion that "followers of the Royal Ballet" only spend their money at the ROH and don't see other companies as, with almost every other regular I know, that is not the case.

• Like 5

I don't know what all the fuss is about.  Let's get to the important stuff - like our local newspaper telling me today that a couple of local "ballet nuts ... are ready for a crack at stardom," having been selected to appear in the show from some 336 youngsters auditioned.

I don’t think you flew off the handle or made any unwarranted accusations, Two Pigeons and I sympathise with your frustrations at the late casting announcements for BRB. It may be, as suggested, that there is a contractual obligation to announce casting earlier for RAH performances, but that doesn’t negate the irritation you understandably felt at the distinction between casting announcements at the different venues. Late casting announcements have been an annoyance for BRB followers for some time and your feeling that this showed that the home audience was possibly being take for granted is also understandable. 

• Like 3

I guess the question is perhaps what proportion of the audiences at the various venues really care anyway?  We have to remember that the serious ballet fans like us who prioritise casting are probably in the minority.

• Like 5

I have earlier made a point about not being in the fortunate state of being able to see particular dancers in particular roles and that with BRB I know that I will see excellent dancing whoever is doing what but I would also like to endorse the opinion given by Sim that Celine and Brandon are lovely together.

To answer Jane S -  it is unlikely that the Birmingham Nutcracker is a total sell out but most performances are almost full houses with Saturday evening having the most availability for late booking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Maybe you mean Cesar Morales, Sim?

Omg yes!  Was sneaking this in at work so not paying attention!  Apologies and duly corrected!  I got it right the second time at least...... 😕

• Like 2

On 09/11/2017 at 16:58, Two Pigeons said:

Well I feel very strongly about this but given the comments stated above I will keep my feelings to myself and not post any further.

I have to agree where BRB is concerned their late posting of casts is a right pain especially when traveling a distance etc ENB, RB are much better as are some other companies.  I'm sorry you feel you can't express your view here, it was just an opinion I didn't read it as flying off any handles. You are entitled to your opinion and you just stated yours.

Incidentally I was approached recently by someone researching ballet habits and to paraphrase one  of the questions: "do you think ballet companies are focusing on attracting new audiences to the detriment of their existing fan base?" 

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, aileen said:

I've noticed a queuing system (a moving person walking on a pavement) on a couple of other sites recently. I wonder whether they are new as I haven't registered them before.

It always reminds me of the "artwork" in Infra :)

(and is really annoying in that it suddenly makes a very loud noise when you get to the head of the queue.  Can be very embarrassing if you're somewhere like a library :(

• Jan McNulty changed the title to BRB London & Birmingham Nutcracker Casting 2017

Sorry I'm a bit late publishing this press release about the Birmingham casting ... I'm just home from a mini-break in Tavira!

9 November 2017
PRESS RELEASE

The Nutcracker - Principal casting 2017
Friday 24 November – Wednesday 13 December 2017, Birmingham Hippodrome

Birmingham Royal Ballet performs Sir Peter Wright’s magical production of The Nutcracker at Birmingham Hippodrome from 24 November to 13 December. This world-acclaimed production with its classic story, glorious dancing and instantly recognisable music, played by the Royal Ballet Sinfonia, has captured the hearts and imaginations of generations of theatregoers, becoming an annual tradition.

The Nutcracker was Sir Peter’s gift to the city of Birmingham in the year he led the Company from London to its new home at Birmingham Hippodrome.

PRODUCTION CREDITS-
Music: Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Choreography: Peter Wright, Lev Ivanov, Vincent Redmon
Production: Peter Wright
Designs: John F. Macfarlane
Lighting: David A. Finn

PERFORMANCES - Birmingham Hippodrome

Friday 24 November – Wednesday 13 December 2017 (Press night: 24 November, 7.30pm)
Tuesday – Saturday evenings, 7.30pm; Tuesday and Thursday matinees, 2pm; Saturday matinees, 2.30pm; Sunday 26 November, 3 December and 10 December, 1pm
Tickets from: £19
www.birminghamhippodrome.com / 0844 338 5000

Additional events:
FREE pre-performance talk: Fridays 2 & 9 December, 18.30
Audio described performance: Saturday 26 November, 14.30 (Touch tour: 10.30)
Company class on stage (Tickets: £10): Saturday 26 November, 11.15
FREE Audience open day: Saturday 26 November, 12.30 – 14.30

CASTING - Principal dancers for the 2017 production of The Nutcracker are as follows:

Friday 24 November                     Evening               Hirata / Morales / Doorbar
Saturday 25 November                 Matinee               Gittens / Lawrence / Fuchigami
Saturday 25 November                 Evening               Roberts / Singleton / Day
Sunday 26 November                   Matinee               Mizutani / Dingman / Doorbar
Tuesday 28 November                  Matinee               Roberts / Singleton / Day
Tuesday 28 November                  Evening               Sakuma / Cao / Parma
Wednesday 29 November             Evening               Hirata / Morales / Doorbar
Thursday 30 November                 Matinee               Knight / Atsuji / Mizutani
Thursday 30 November                 Evening               Gittens / Lawrence / Fuchigami
Friday 1 December                        Evening               Lebowitz / Monaghan* / Doorbar
Saturday 2 December                   Matinee               Sakuma / Cao / Parma
Saturday 2 December                   Evening               Mizutani / Dingman / Day
Sunday 3 December                     Matinee               Zhang / Lawrence / Fuchigami
Tuesday 5 December                    Matinee               Doorbar / Chou / Day
Tuesday 5 December                    Evening               Knight / Atsuji / Mizutani
Wednesday 6 December               Evening               Zhang / Lawrence / Fuchigami
Thursday 7 December                   Matinee               Shang / Dingman / Mizutani
Thursday 7 December                   Evening               Doorbar / Chou / Day
Friday 8 December                        Evening               Sakuma / Maslen* / Parma
Saturday 9 December                    Matinee               Mathews / Da Silva* / Mizutani
Saturday 9 December                    Evening               Downs / Atsuji / Fuchigami
Sunday 10 December                    Matinee               Lebowitz / Monaghan / Doorbar
Tuesday 12 December                   Matinee               Sakuma / Maslen / Parma
Tuesday 12 December                  Evening               Mathews / Da Silva / Mizutani
Wednesday 13 December            Matinee               Downs / Atsuji / Fuchigami
Wednesday 13 December            Evening               Shang / Dingman / Day

*  Debut
Please note that all casting is provisional and subject to change.

NOTES TO EDITORS:

Birmingham Royal Ballet 
Based at Birmingham Hippodrome since 1990, Birmingham Royal Ballet is the United Kingdom’s leading classical ballet touring company performing a range of traditional, classical and heritage ballets as well as ground-breaking new works with the aim of encouraging choreographers of the future.

The company’s Director is the award-winning David Bintley, CBE, Chief Executive is Jan Teo and Music Director is Koen Kessels. Birmingham Royal Ballet performs at Birmingham Hippodrome for approximately ten weeks of the year and the remainder of the year tours throughout the United Kingdom and overseas.   

The Royal Ballet Sinfonia is Britain's busiest ballet orchestra, playing for Birmingham Royal Ballet's wide-ranging programme in the UK and abroad. The Sinfonia also plays frequently for The Royal Ballet and many of the world's other leading ballet companies, including regular performances with; The Royal Ballet, Paris Opéra Ballet, New York City Ballet, Australian Ballet, Les Grands Ballets Canadiens, the Kirov, Norwegian Ballet, Atlanta Ballet, San Francisco Ballet and La Scala Ballet.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 18:34, Don Q Fan said:

I have to agree where BRB is concerned their late posting of casts is a right pain especially when traveling a distance etc ENB, RB are much better as are some other companies.

RB are much better, yes, announcing the basics of principal casting for repertoire pieces before booking opens.

I'm not sure I agree about ENB!  While anything is better than BRB's last-minute announcements, ENB tend to announce only four to six weeks before the event, which is generally months after booking has opened, with certain things already sold out by the time casting is announced, and far too late to get the best advance travel and hotel deals.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 3