Reference book on ballet (for child)

I'm sure I've seen a particular encyclopaedia of ballet recommended on here, but all my advanced searching isn't finding it. Dd is asking for books for Christmas (though I'm sure other ballet-related presents would be acceptable) so I've been looking on Amazon, but I can't tell which are any good. Has anyone got one they'd recommend? She's 9, but a good reader so it doens't need to be particularly easy to read. Thanks!

Dorling Kindersley have (or had) 'My Ballet Book' by Kate Castle. Its in association with English National Ballet School and endorsed by them. My dd got it when she was about 9 or 10.

I love 'the ballet book' by Darcey Bussell. It is co-written with Royal Ballet School and I must have read it 100 times! It is really good for looking up steps, learning about notation/choreography, how to sew ribbons etc etc! And also talks about becoming a professional and useful school addresses! I love the pictures too. 

For or an older person, I definitely recommend Gaynor Minden's book the Ballet Companion - contains absolutely everything a dancer will ever need. 

❤️

Edited by ArucariaBallerina
  • Like 5

Ballet Spectacular is definitely one you should consider as indicated by Nina G. As well as being a beautiful gift book with some lovely photos, it arranges information in an appealing way - for example, a section called Creating a Ballet begins with an article on choreography which includes a lively piece by Kristen McNally about what is involved in being a choreographer, some short biographical information about leading choreographers and a piece on ballet notation with good images to support the explanation. The section then proceeds with articles on music for the ballet, set and costume design. Interspersed between these articles are features on the most well known ballets on the classical repertoire.