Prix de Lausanne 2018

invisiblecircus

• 2 months later...

Amazing! I've just caught a glimpse of the girls' class and as usual the standard is incredible. I understand there are eight 14 year olds this year, reflecting the fact that some of the partner schools accept students from 15 years old.

I've always thought it was a shame they don't extend the upper age limit to 19 as 17 is really young to be graduating into a company. This is especially true from a British perspective of course, where many 17 year old students would be less than half way through their first year of upper school at the time of the prix so understandably not ready to compete for professional contracts.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, drdance said:

If you're interested - number 104 is Audrey Freeman, from Australia. She won the YAGP semis in Paris recently and was offered a place at RBS US starting in September, but she's only 14!!!! :-O

Is that really good though? I mean obviously she must have huge talent. But she is a child! Of course children mature at different rates, but I can't help but wonder about the wisdom of one so young being put in this situation. A bit like the young academic geniuses you hear about being accepted into Oxbridge degree courses whilst their peers are still thinking about GCSEs. It seldom seems to go completely smoothly as whilst they may have the ability they are socially isolated. Just thinking aloud really, as I have a (non dancing) 14 Year old and the thought of him leaving home  now is completely inconceivable to me! But then I guess these exceptional children aren't at home with their peers either so it must be hugely difficult to manage. I'm honestly glad my children are pretty average - I don't envy the super talented or their parents at all.

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, invisiblecircus said:

I don't know when her birthday is but she might be less than a year younger than some of the other students who will have only just turned 16 when the autumn term starts. Even 16 is very young to be living independently in a foreign country, or even in your own country!

In the article I read it stated that her parents will be moving to the UK to support her ... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kat09 said:

In the article I read it stated that her parents will be moving to the UK to support her ... 

Did she not get a scholarship to the RBS? I presume not, otherwise she would not be competing at the prix would she?

Having her parents in the UK will be a huge advantage, but I think US students are all expected to live in the same accommodation aren't they?

I know quite a bit about Audrey Freeman as my friends over from OZ recently .....went back today....know her well.....my friends DD attended same dance school in Sydney. 

And yes parents ( very keen mum apparently) are coming to UK when she takes up her place.

I haven't seen her dance yet but been told to look out for her.....and anyway won't miss her as she is incredibly flexible etc etc!! 

Im usually playing catch up with the Prix so haven't seen any yet. 

She gets an incredible amount of coaching but it's a precarious line sometimes or burn out can occur.

As far as I know she IS on a scholarship as the RB scouts went out to Australia and spotted her in auditions there.

She doesn't really need to do Prix as has a place at RB already but it is a place to be generally seen by lots of ballet company directors and so on so perhaps it was felt it would be good experience for her anyway.

45 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Don't some of the pupils at RBS upper school do three years? Perhaps.....if it works out of course....she could be one of these.

It's a three year course so everyone does three years unless they leave before the end of the course or are accepted directly onto the 2nd or 3rd year.

46 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Oh and they have lowered the age to attend the prix now so may be other 14 year olds there this year

As far as I know, there are eight.

• Like 2

She has been given a place for Upper School but RBS themselves arent allowed to compete and therefore aren’t seen at these competitions by other Directors so offers of other schools can’t be made to the unlucky students who don’t make Upper School. It also lowers the available places for other students who can’t access the competitions for various reasons. That said, I wouldn’t want me DD dancing for 40 hours a week to the exclusion of everything (including a good education). I’m glad a have a well rounded DD who loves to dance but also loves to do other things in her downtime. 

• Like 5

Well as I said it does run the risk of burn out down the line.

Im sure that's what happened to Miko Fogerty 

If you've danced all the solos there are ....at hundreds of competitions from a young age ...then by the time you get into a Company in your 20's you must feel you've sort of done it all and dancing around in the corps will just not be satisfying enough. It's almost like you've had a career before you've even started.

Everybody is different of course and maybe some can take it all!! 

• Like 6

Yes I think that's what my friend was hinting that she is extremely flexible!! And that I would probably spot her because of this.....however they ALL seem extremely flexible to me!! She has just emailed to say she is no. 104 but the balletcoforum got their first on this!!

Ive only seen her so far in a group doing a contemporary piece ( a rather boring piece I thought) nobody stood out in that for me.

I was thinking that having already had what has almost certainly been an intense and competitive "career" as a Rhythmic gymnast, now training 40 hours a week aged 14 and taking part in major competitions, the risk of burn-out must be considerably higher.   

• Like 4

All the live feeding is available on Arte Concert here https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/080207-004-A/46eme-prix-de-lausanne-4eme-jour-d-entrainement/

I haven't managed to watch much of it but there was some nice coverage fo the girls' class yesterday. Lots of talent in the younger girls' section - a total of 35 dancers!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anna C said:

I was thinking that having already had what has almost certainly been an intense and competitive "career" as a Rhythmic gymnast, now training 40 hours a week aged 14 and taking part in major competitions, the risk of burn-out must be considerably higher.   

I would have thought that ballet training would be somewhat less intense than RG training (of which ballet forms a major part of course) so she may be less likely to burn out!

I spotted Audrey in the girls' class and thought that she moves like a rhythmic gymnast before I read here that she has trained as one.

Really looking forward to selections tomorrow morning!

• Like 1