ROH Lucia di Lammermoor

Carol

Royal Opera: Lucia di Lammermoor on Thursday, 2nd November at 7.15pm, ends 10.20pm

The revival includes at least two production tweaks which, for me, vastly improved two scenes which I disliked in the original outing of this production.

Two Stalls Circle Standing at £11 each. SCS 12 & SCS 13
eticket , so I can easily forward it. I am there on the night.

I will sell them separately.

Please send me a PM. It is helpful if you would also post here, please.

Carol 

Oh good!

I don't need a ticket, but am pleased to hear about the production  tweaks.

(Surely you might find more of an audience for the ticket if you post this in the ticket exchange section...) (edited to add - oh, you did :))

Edited by RuthE

Gosh I just loved the performance last night.  I think Lisette Oropesa is sensational and will go very far.  Her vocal range is gorgeous, her coloratura incredibly accomplished, and she can act.  

I also really liked the production.  I didn't see it last time around, so the more controversial bits seemed to be excised, but I thought it was very clever to split each scene in two so that we could see what was actually happening behind the scenes (e.g. the murder of Arturo).   I usually prefer to use my imagination in these situations, but I thought this worked really well.  

The friend I was with was very disappointed that they have excised the sex scene in Act 1.  She said it wasn't for the lack of a sex scene;   she had simply been in awe last time at how both singers had been able to sing beautifully whilst in strange positions.....that is why she was fascinated by it.  Does anyone know whether this scene was cut for artistic reasons or whether it is because this cast couldn't perform the duet whilst simulating sex?  Dramatically, I guess it would make it very clear why Lucia is pregnant for the rest of the opera......but as I said to my friend, now we just have to assume that they have been sleeping together!  She was very happy, on the other hand, because they have turned off the water in the final scene!!  

A real shame that I will only get to see this once, but I am very pleased and grateful that I at least got the chance to see Lisette.  Next time she sings here, I will dash to get a ticket.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sim said:

Does anyone know whether this scene was cut for artistic reasons or whether it is because this cast couldn't perform the duet whilst simulating sex?

This is very second hand, but I gather that Oropesa has referred publicly to adjustments to the production making it possible for her to perform in it - the way the person who told me that understood it, it was to do with her being a devout Christian rather than being physically unable.

Happy to have this put right if it's not the case.

• Like 1

Thanks Lizbie.  Funnily enough, I was wondering last night whilst I was watching whether there might be a religious aspect to the cuts.  I wonder if they will be restored for the next cast?  It will be interesting to see.

• alison changed the title to ROH Lucia di Lammermoor

I really ought to look more closely at the various threads as I had no idea there was one on Lucia.  I do so agree with Sim - Thursday's performance really was sensational.  I've tended to shy away from Opera as we were absolutely spoiled when living in Kent in the 1970s to early 2000s with Solti, Davis, Haitink, Kleiber etc.  There have been a few too many run of the mill performances/productions with cast members flying in for curtain up and no real sense of collective purpose.  But Lucia was one of those exceptional nights which will live long in the memory.  I did get a DVD of the first run so will at some point see the original production but I'm sure it will be Lisette Oropesa's coloratura, the wonderful flute accompaniment, and Michele Mariotti's conducting that will stay with me, supported by a strong cast and purposefully intelligent production.  

• Like 3

Just out of tonight's performance and - wow!  I could watch it all over again right now.  Oropesa's voice and phrasing are both extraordinarily beautiful (though I'm not sure how well she'd have carried to the rear amphi); Castronovo was fabulous (so ardent and so unusually heroic of voice for this repertoire); Maltman was terrific.  And it was brilliantly acted throughout - you really felt for all of them.

Also, as JohnS remarked, huge credit to Mariotti in the pit - he stuck to Oropesa like glue throughout the Mad Scene (no simple task) and throughout balanced supporting his singers with keeping up the momentum while enabling the orchestra to give an outstandingly musical performance.

• Like 2