The Bolshoi's season of live cinema transmissions started today with Le Corsaire. Please use this thread to discuss the performances.

I have to say, I thought the production looked stunning on screen, and that the dancers were generally framed pretty well - no parts of bodies escaping the frame during the dancing.  I was a little surprised to find two dancers being interviewed about the roles of Conrad and Medora and then two completely different dancers performing the roles, though!   Oh, and I still covet those beautiful white tutus from the Jardin Anime scene, even more so having seen them up close :)

• Like 2

I absolutely loved Le Corsaire ❤️ I thought that Conrad and Medora worked so well together and really made me believe that they were in love, I had tears in my eyes three times! What a beautiful ending! And what a beautiful pas de deux! And the orchestra was so beautiful too! I also liked Gulnare, I though she was an exceptional actress and great dancer. Nearly everybody had an extremely winged foot, especially in arabesque... Is this a Russian thing? 

But it was so so so lovely, I would see it again in a heartbeat! I want to be a ballerina so much!

p.s does anybody know how tall the Pasha was? He looked huge!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Amelia said:

Hurry up! Those who missed Le Corsaire in cinema can watch it now on the Bolshoi's website. It is easy to register there:

http://media.bolshoi.ru/play/#/vod/mcat/5

Hi Amelia. Thanks for this - I’ve just registered. I missed the broadcast as it wasn’t showing at any of my local cinemas this time. Do you know how long it will remain online? I’m at work now and tonight is Royal Ballet live broadcast! 

So different from ENB's version which was purchased from the Bolshoi many moons ago. Despite Ratmansky emphasising the dance aspects in his interval interview, I feel that his and Burlaka's reliance on reconstruction has limited the storyline, the dancing and the characterisation - as compared with the ENB and Mariinsky productions. For example, Lankendem is not a dancer but a character actor hobbling around; the first 'slave' pas de deux is danced not by Lankendem and Gulnare but by a couple who appear from nowhere; Birbanto (the leader of the pirates) is very sketchily drawn so his plotting against Conrad gets lost in the pirates' skirts. But I'm sure this kind of thing was said (possibly by me!) when the Bolshoi was in London last year.

However, the dancing was glorious, especially from the women. Is there anyone else anywhere who can fouettee like Krysanova? And the corps in the Jardin Animee - WOW!

Another marvellous Bolshoi cinema relay, Igor Tsvirko (I know how to pronounce his name now, plus some others, it's never how you expect) was even better than when I saw him in London, and although Olga Smirnova was to have danced Medora, Ekaterina Krysanova was the perfect partner for him. I had forgotten how long the ballet is but so pleased to be able to stay to the end and not rush out, my only wish was for some higher up camera work, especially in the Jardin Animee, how beautiful that looked on the huge stage.

I do love this production, in particular the jardin anime. Wonderful dancing - I did enjoy the leads, lopatkin and stashkevich. Thought that Zhigansina was charming as the third odalisque. This ballet offers opportunities for many dancers - sevenard and shrainer in the jardin scene.

i would be happy to see it again.

30 minutes ago, Shade said:

I did enjoy the leads, lopatkin and stashkevich. 

Unless I am very much mistaken, Shade, the leads were Ekaterina Krysanova and Igor Tsvirko. The two wonderful dancers you mentioned only performed the slave pas de deux in Act 1.

45 minutes ago, Shade said:

the leads, lopatkin and stashkevich.

Capybara is right, Vyacheslav Lopatin (not lopatkin) and Anastasia Stashkevich were dancing  the slave pas de deux in Act 1. She is btw Mrs. Lopatina.

http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/persons/ballet/1092/

http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/persons/ballet/1326/

Edited by Amelia
To shorten the Quote.

2 hours ago, capybara said:

It's gone now. MIssed the opportunity to watch again!

Blast.  I was intending to watch the rest of it tonight :(  I can't quite work out the logic of putting it up for such a short period.

On 10/23/2017 at 00:00, Amelia said:

Hurry up! Those who missed Le Corsaire in cinema can watch it now on the Bolshoi's website. It is easy to register there:

http://media.bolshoi.ru/play/#/vod/mcat/5

I was so deeply appreciative for this opportunity.  A most generous gesture.  I can't think of another Company who offers similar largess in this regard in the name of effective education for the whole without worrying about the cost against future commercial gain - as limited as that may I'm sure sometimes be. 

Bravi Bolshoi.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...

In case anyone is going to see the Ratmansky Romeo and Juliet on Jan 21st I thought I would mention DS is cast as one of the chevaliers at the ball. Might be difficult to spot as they are masked but I do know he has a green doublet. He made us laugh complaining about how difficult it is to pirouette in the capes (made us think of the immortal line from Edna Mode in The Incredibles - 'No Capes!!!')..

I am quite excited to see the Ratmansky  version as it is hard to find any footage on YouTube and I have to confess R&J is one of the few ballets I have genuinely enjoyed (I'm not really a ballet person, shhh don't tell)..... DS says it is very challenging to dance...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Juliet, the daughter of Capulet    -  Ekaterina Krysanova
Romeo, the son of Montague    - Vladislav Lantratov
Mercutio, Romeo’s friend    - Igor Tsvirko
Benvolio, Montague’s nephew and Romeo’s friend    -  Dmitry Dorokhov
Tybalt, Lady Capulet’s nephew    - Vitaly Biktimirov

The full cast list can be found here:

https://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/4008/roles/#20180121180000

As a side comment on the Romeo & Juliet live transmission today, I appreciated the regular moderator Novikova (astonishing as always) giving a shout out in one of the intervals to Victor Hochhauser, who was in the audience. I for one would be short many dozen ballet performances were it not for the Hochhausers amazing efforts over the last decades.

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, Geoff said:

As a side comment on the Romeo & Juliet live transmission today, I appreciated the regular moderator Novikova (astonishing as always) giving a shout out in one of the intervals to Victor Hochhauser, who was in the audience. I for one would be short many dozen ballet performances were it not for the Hochhausers amazing efforts over the last decades.

I agree Geoff. I know there has been complaints sometimes about the Hochhauser prices but we would have ben deprived of so many great Russian performances without them. They organise things so well we perhaps take them for granted and it's only when someone like Derek Block comes along in the 1990s and tries it and nearly bankrupts himself because he's used to dealing with pop stars not ballet companies that you realise how good they are and how lucky we are in this country to have them. I just hope they can find someone to continue their fine tradition as the time they can do it personally must be fast running out. Incidentally I assume you meant he was in the Bolshoi audience in Russia and not a cinema audience. if so that is pretty amazing for a 94/95 year old and you wonder if he is there to discuss a future visit (she says hopefully!!!)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, jmhopton said:

I agree Geoff. I know there has been complaints sometimes about the Hochhauser prices but we would have ben deprived of so many great Russian performances without them. They organise things so well we perhaps take them for granted and it's only when someone like Derek Block comes along in the 1990s and tries it and nearly bankrupts himself because he's used to dealing with pop stars not ballet companies that you realise how good they are and how lucky we are in this country to have them. I just hope they can find someone to continue their fine tradition as the time they can do it personally must be fast running out. Incidentally I assume you meant he was in the Bolshoi audience in Russia and not a cinema audience. if so that is pretty amazing for a 94/95 year old and you wonder if he is there to discuss a future visit (she says hopefully!!!)

Thirded. When you consider that the Russian seasons are completely unsubsidised and at the Hochhausers' own risk the prices don't seem that high. And I don't think they get enough credit for ensuring that a good proportion of seats, though higher than we're used to from subsidised companies, are within reach of most: many would be tempted to offer a far higher starting price for all but the worst seats.

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

The regular moderator Novikova (astonishing as always)

She's pretty amazing isn't she? I've not seen any of the Bolshoi cinema relays, but really enjoy her skill and knowledge during World Ballet Day. I first noticed her in an interview she had with Kevin O'Hare for the RB's Bolshoi visit: for a Russian she was conspicuously knowledgeable as well as curious about British ballet and it remains the best interview I've seen with KO'H as a result. Well worth seeking out if you have some time to spare.

• Like 2

There's never an encore screening (although I wouldn't like to bet it wouldn't be repeated in a year or two, since they seem to like doing that now).  You could try the Bolshoi website, but if it is up there it won't be for long, to judge by experience.

3 hours ago, Geoff said:

Wasn't it Lilian?  And definitely in the audience in London - which probably narrows down the choice of venues quite a lot.

I did find the talking did rather go on and on today, though.  Especially when you process the French version before the English one ...

Vladislav Lantratov, Ekaterina Krysanova and Igor Tsvirko gave unbelievably intense, passionate and committed performances yesterday. The enormous red minimalist sets looked terrific on the Bolshoi stage. Typically Ratmansky, the choreography is very busy; a lot of small movements made very quickly, as Tsvirko said in the interval. It takes some getting used to a different version when you know another like the back of your hand (MacMillan in my case) and whilst occasionally I longed for some MacMillan style choreographic stillness there were some immensely powerful moments to more than compensate: Juliet rushing on in the balcony scene took my breath away. When I saw the National Ballet of Canada dance this at Sadlers Wells in 2013 I was uncomfortable with Ratmansky's choice of ending, but yesterday it felt astonishing and brilliant. I only wish there was an encore showing. 

• Like 5

On 21 January 2018 at 22:49, alison said:

There's never an encore screening (although I wouldn't like to bet it wouldn't be repeated in a year or two, since they seem to like doing that now).  You could try the Bolshoi website, but if it is up there it won't be for long, to judge by experience.

There seem to fewer cinemas screening these this winter, and those who do it's often in tiny, so sold out, screens, sadly. I'll try to find it online or wait for it to be re-screened before too long.