Markova-Dolin Company (Archiving)

Hi all! It's been a while. I had to move from London to Portsmouth and we've got very little in the way of ballet here so I'm feeling rather out of the loop.

However, I'm doing some archiving work at the King's Theatre, Southsea, and I wanted to know if anyone had any old programmes or cast sheets or anything from performances by the Markova-Dolin company. They toured to Portsmouth in '36 and while I have the programmes from that run, they don't include a lot of cast information and I'd quite like to sort out the soloists from the artists and so on, as well as find out more about the company. So any reading recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I have one from the Empress Hall in Earls Court but it's from 1949 so probably not much help for you? In fact, I'm not even sure their company was officially Markova-Dolin by then. This programme is 'Alicia Markova, Anton Dolin, with full corps de ballet'.  

• Like 1

Some suggestions for sources of information about the company and apologies in advance if you have already thought of them.Even if the following publications don't say anything about who danced what in Plymouth they may give you some idea about who was in the Markova-Dolin company and their place in its hierachy.

1) The  V and A has  an extensive theatre museum holding. The staff might be able to help you as you are able to be specific about the information you want.

2) The Local Newspaper. Does it have an archive of some sort? Perhaps its not housed locally but is at Colindale.

3) The Dancing Times. It may not say much about performances in Plymouth but it will probably contain   details about the London performances the company gave which may give you some idea of the company's personnel. I doubt that its back numbers have been stored electronically but you never know. Does someone know if there is any UK library which has its back numbers as part of its stock?

4) J.P. Wearing's "The London Stage 1930-39" which I believe chronicles all theatrical activity in London during the period and may provide information about the company's personnel when it appeared in London. 

There should be public libraries in the UK which hold it.

5) A recently published book about the development of ballet in Britain during the war, "Albion Dances", it covers events nearly a decade later but the Bibliography might give you some useful hints about where to look for the sort of information you want.

6) I believe that all of Alicia Markova's personal papers are held at the Gotlieb Centre Boston University. The staff there might be willing and able to assist you. If not the bibliography in the recent (2014) Markova biography might assist. 

As I said before I apologise if you have already considered these potential sources of information. I shall be interested to know how you get on. I am particularly curious about how helpful "The Dancing Times" proves to be and how accessible its archive is.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, FLOSS said:

The Local Newspaper. Does it have an archive of some sort? Perhaps its not housed locally but is at Colindale.

What a wonderful list of sources! I'm copying and pasting Floss's list for future reference.

May I just add that Colindale is now closed. Local newspapers are accessible at The British Library Newsroom as far as I'm aware. I believe notice is needed to view original volumes.

https://www.bl.uk/help/researching-newspapers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FLOSS said:

Some suggestions for sources of information about the company and apologies in advance if you have already thought of them.Even if the following publications don't say anything about who danced what in Plymouth they may give you some idea about who was in the Markova-Dolin company and their place in its hierachy.

1) The  V and A has  an extensive theatre museum holding. The staff might be able to help you as you are able to be specific about the information you want.

2) The Local Newspaper. Does it have an archive of some sort? Perhaps its not housed locally but is at Colindale.

3) The Dancing Times. It may not say much about performances in Plymouth but it will probably contain   details about the London performances the company gave which may give you some idea of the company's personnel. I doubt that its back numbers have been stored electronically but you never know. Does someone know if there is any UK library which has its back numbers as part of its stock?

4) J.P. Wearing's "The London Stage 1930-39" which I believe chronicles all theatrical activity in London during the period and may provide information about the company's personnel when it appeared in London. 

There should be public libraries in the UK which hold it.

5) A recently published book about the development of ballet in Britain during the war, "Albion Dances", it covers events nearly a decade later but the Bibliography might give you some useful hints about where to look for the sort of information you want.

6) I believe that all of Alicia Markova's personal papers are held at the Gotlieb Centre Boston University. The staff there might be willing and able to assist you. If not the bibliography in the recent (2014) Markova biography might assist. 

As I said before I apologise if you have already considered these potential sources of information. I shall be interested to know how you get on. I am particularly curious about how helpful "The Dancing Times" proves to be and how accessible its archive is.

FLOSS, the National Library of Scotland holds back issues of The Dancing Times. I’ve looked at them from the 20s and 30s before. I’m guessing the British Library  (much more convenient for Portsmouth!) also holds them.

Edited by RHowarth
  • Like 3

There's a long (20 pages ) piece about the Markova Dolin Ballet, by Kathrine Sorley Walker, in the magazine Dance Now dated Summer 1999. I'd guess that's the most informative history you 'll find anywhere. There's a chapter about it in Dolin's book 'Markova, her Life and Art' but that's written from a very personal point of view though it does include a list of the original company soloists. He concludes that "The two years that the Markova-Dolin Ballet existed have passed to a great extent unnoticed in the chronicles of English balletby many critics and writers", though the KSW piece quotes lots reviews, including some from the Dancing Times.

(Totally off topic but I'm always happy to look at the Dolin book as my copy has a handwritten dedication from Markova starting "For dear Erik..")

• Like 5

6 hours ago, FLOSS said:

As I've mentioned a few times over the years, Westminster Reference Library.  At least, I assume its holdings go back that far - I can't see why they shouldn't.  Possibly a kind forum member might even be able to call in and have a look on Tatiana's behalf if necessary?

Also, its stock of old ballet books is, I'd guess, almost unparalleled, so there might be more information in those.  I believe you can request them to be sent to other libraries these days, if you want to ring them and check.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You are all absolute gems. I hadn't even thought of the Dancing Times, though I've combed The Stage pretty thoroughly. I'd love to go look in the Westminster Library - I'm presenting a lecture in London next week on ballet documentation, so perhaps I'll have the time to go and enquire!

@FLOSS - I read Albion Dances a few months ago and absolutely loved it - would recommend it to anyone.

@Jane S - Thank you, I will definitely look that article up.

On 10/18/2017 at 15:46, alison said:

Hi Tatiana, good to see you back.  That sounds an interesting job you're doing, though I'm sorry about the lack of ballet.  Can you get to Southampton at least relatively easily?

Not as easily as I'd like! Saw a dreadful version of TSB two weeks ago here, but I've got tickets to (finally) see Ballet Black in a few weeks and I'm really excited for that.

21 minutes ago, Tatiana said:

I'm presenting a lecture in London next week on ballet documentation,

Hi, Tatiana!

I have two friends, who have been serious collectors of ballet memorabilia for many years. They will be very interested in the subject of your lecture. Is it possible to attend your lecture?

@Amelia Hi! I'm on the programme for Documenting Performance 2017 at City, University of London. It's spread over two days (I'm on the second day), and there are going to be some FANTASTIC speakers, all talking about how we document theatre, live events, and ballet. (It's also my first ever time presenting and I'm terrified, but looking forward to it!) I think there are still some tickets left -would you please send them this link? It's got information on speakers and tickets. https://documentingperformance.com/ 

If they (or you, or anyone here) come I would love to meet them - I spent months interviewing and surveying ballet memorabilia collectors and still haven't got bored of it. Such a fascinating subject.

PS: My talk is on social documentation and I do use this forum as an example, so come along if you want to see your username in lights!

Edited by Tatiana
  • Like 2

Dear Tatiana, thank you very much for your reply. It is very kind of you to suggest us to meet. I forwarded your information to my friends. The 6th and 7th of November in my diary, alas, have already been full for weeks.

I wish you a very successful presentation. There is no need to be terrified. Keep reminding yourself: I did this work myself and I know what I am talking about. Good luck!

• Like 3