Royal Ballet Spring 2018 Casting

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the casting hasn't even been put up for the dancers yet, so they themselves don't know who is going to be dancing him.  Like Jackie, I sooo hope that Bennet Gartside gets what may be a last go at the role, as he is one of the finest interpreters of it for many a year.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 6

I enjoyed this interview so much Sim, thank you. It brought back so many memories and taught me a lot. I loved watching him dance and how lucky we are he has passed on so much skill and wisdom. Made me wonder who is dancing now will follow his great example when they retire from performing. Suggestions?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry Buflesse not sure what you mean here?  Torn between seeing them in Giselle?  Not sure what the trios are??

If you mean Giselle, I think that most performances are sold out so you will have to try Friday Rush, returns, or indeed this forum!

• Like 1

Ah.  In which case I can't help you with a choice as both of those Manon casts bring something interesting to the piece.  I'm not always the biggest Osipova fan, but I loved her Manon;  she did it her way, as always, and I loved her approach.  I have never seen Hallberg in the role of Des Grieux so I can't comment,  but he is her favourite partner and they always have great chemistry so I can imagine this will be the same, and be very emotional at the end.  Yasmine is lovely in just about everything she does so I can see that she will be a good Mistress.  

For the other cast, I saw Frankie's debut in the role and I thought she was excellent, and will be even better this time around.  She seems to be taking very well to the MacMillan repertoire.   Ed Watson is one of the foremost male MacMillan dancers of the past 20 years and his DG will be marvellous.  Alex Campbell as Lescaut is also very effective in what can be a difficult role to pull off.  

So my recommendation is to see both casts if you possibly can.....I just can't choose between them!!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Sim said:

Ah.  In which case I can't help you with a choice as both of those Manon casts bring something interesting to the piece.  I'm not always the biggest Osipova fan, but I loved her Manon;  she did it her way, as always, and I loved her approach.  I have never seen Hallberg in the role of Des Grieux so I can't comment,  but he is her favourite partner and they always have great chemistry so I can imagine this will be the same, and be very emotional at the end.  Yasmine is lovely in just about everything she does so I can see that she will be a good Mistress.  

For the other cast, I saw Frankie's debut in the role and I thought she was excellent, and will be even better this time around.  She seems to be taking very well to the MacMillan repertoire.   Ed Watson is one of the foremost male MacMillan dancers of the past 20 years and his DG will be marvellous.  Alex Campbell as Lescaut is also very effective in what can be a difficult role to pull off.  

So my recommendation is to see both casts if you possibly can.....I just can't choose between them!!

I'll second that.  I saw Hayward and Watson in Manon and she was sensational on debut night.  Watson - well, what can I say?  For me he is the ultimate.  I am seeing them again and also Osipova Halberg.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

And given the superb Mayerling with Morera and Bonelli I wouldn't miss them in Manon for anything! 

Given the superb Manon with Morera and Bonelli I wouldn't be wanting to miss them in it again :)

• Like 3

But before we get to Manon we've got Winters Tale, with some very interesting casting for Leontes, Hermione and Polixenes!  I actually booked the Watson matinee by mistake, needless to say whether. I noticed it I certainly didn't return my ticket! Also seeing Bonelli as Leontes - will be fascinating to see how two such different dancers interpret the role. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Really?  He will, of course, be excellent but I don't honestly think its the role best suited to him.  Hard to beat Watson

Did you not see Muntagirov dance Des Grieux at the beginning of the 2014/15 season, then? I think that his performances in that role contributed to his receiving the Best Male Dancer accolade for that season.Outstanding dancing (complete mastery of that very tricky opening solo) and characterisation which rang absolutely true.

But each to his or her own, of course.....................

• Like 8

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Did you not see Muntagirov dance Des Grieux at the beginning of the 2014/15 season, then? I think that his performances in that role contributed to his receiving the Best Male Dancer accolade for that season.Outstanding dancing (complete mastery of that very tricky opening solo) and characterisation which rang absolutely true.

But each to his or her own, of course.....................

Well,  I saw him and couldn’t agree more, Capybara. I’m very much looking forward to seeing him dance it again. Like you, penelopesimpson, I wasn’t sure it would be “his” type of role but I very quickly realised that it was, and was blown away. An extremely moving and incredibly technically accomplished performance.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Really?  He will, of course, be excellent but I don't honestly think its the role best suited to him.  Hard to beat Watson

Muntagirov as Des Grieux moved me to tears within about 3 seconds of him starting to dance.  His elegance, grace, musicality and technique were off the scale.  Astounding dancing.  You simply couldn't take your eyes off him.  He left me literally breathless in that role. 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Muntagirov as Des Grieux moved me to tears within about 3 seconds of him starting to dance.  His elegance, grace, musicality and technique were off the scale.  Astounding dancing.  You simply couldn't take your eyes off him.  He left me literally breathless in that role. 

You and me both, Anna.  I remember mentioning on here that there was one point where he was begging Manon not to leave him, and he slowly let his outstretched hand wilt.  That small movement was a small but very significant physical manifestation of the sorrow and dejection he was feeling.  I still can't get my head around how someone's wrist movement could reduce me to tears!  Very special indeed.

• Like 4