Good Lunches in Covent Garden

richieN

Good, how? Quality of food? Atmosphere? Value for money? Speed of service (can be a factor if one is chasing curtain up)?

A quick search of this forum will show this has been discussed in general terms in the past, maybe those old posts will help you, but if you let us know what really matters to you I'm sure we can come up with some suggestions.

And I suppose it depends what "lunch" means! To,me lunch is more of a snacky type meal...soup and toasted sandwich sort of thing.

In Covent Garden I like Wings cafe just before the junction with Drury Lane and Longacre....just past Bloch 

its not very big and is very basic etc but cheap and perfect for certain types of meals. They do get very busy at times but the staff are very efficient and keep the tables cleared and clean....so never too long before you are eating etc.

Just round the corner in Longacre is Patisserie Valerie ....again good for what I call lunch ....however I do think this chain as a whole has deteriorated somewhat in the last couple of years...and sometimes service is VERY slow ....usually because only ONE person trying to serve everybody....not good when busy.... so a management problem really...it's the same in Brighton I'm afraid....and in Salisbury where we ate recently .....However the food is still good once you've been served and is reasonably priced etc.

Apart from the usual Neros, Costas and Prets etc There are so many places to eat in Covent Garden now I just cannot keep up with them so I'm sure there are new places which are very good. If you like fish and chips by the way there's a very good cafe in Endell St...about half way down ...sorry can't remember the name ..but good value anyway! 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Some good ideas here. Thanks so much.

More info..

DD is observing a final rehearsal at Covent Garden as part of the RBS Mid associates. Parents aren't invited, so my Wife and I will be wondering around until pickup time. This is over lunchtime and early afternoon. Meal should not be too large as we are all going for something with DD after the show later. 

Speed of service is not important, as it will be a few hours before we need to pick her up. 

There's a comparatively new place in Drury Lane again practically next door to Wings ....a sort of bar/cafe type place...can't remember name but will be going past it on Wednesday so could let you know. 

If you want a bit more style but also a bit more expense there is a place just further down from the big Apple shop which is called Palm Court( I think) it's waiter service etc but if you want to kill a bit of time the food is good there and it's quite relaxing to sit in ...a little old fashioned but in a nice way.

• Like 1

I'll add a vote for Cicchetti, though I haven't had lunch there - only a late-night post-show meal and wine. it looks tiny on the outside but goes all the way through to Catherine Street with a vast interior!  The food and wine are delicious.

I still miss the late, lamented Food for Thought, though - Covent Garden's fantastic no-frills vegetarian restaurant where you could be fed an enormous amount for under £10.  It closed down in 2015 :(

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RuthE said:

I'll add a vote for Cicchetti, though I haven't had lunch there - only a late-night post-show meal and wine. it looks tiny on the outside but goes all the way through to Catherine Street with a vast interior!  The food and wine are delicious.

Plus - and a big plus - the waiters look after you without hovering menacingly. I did a looong night there with two friends from the USA. Our waiter went off duty at 11.30 and introduced his replacement before he went off. And the bill was way less than we thought.

i was going to suggest The Stock Pot, but I see, like Food for Thought, it has gone. How sad! There is 26 Grains in the very pretty Neals Yard. Healthy food and a unique experience. Not cheap but I suppose the rent has to be covered otherwise we’d loose this lovely place too. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

If you are short on time as I often am between work and performances (generally not matinees), a new vegan fast food place has opened just down the road from the ROH. It's a 2 min walk. It's not as expensive as a proper sit down restaurant but is definitely not fast food prices!  Make sure you schedule in time to wait - it's not so fast from order to picking up at the counter but they give you a beeper so you can go and find a table while you wait.  

Menu here https://eatbychloe.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/byCHLOE_UK_TakeOut_Menu_Web_2018-R4.pdf

The address is 

Drury House
34-43 Russell Street
London WC2B 5HA

• Like 1

Sorry Blossom can you it sit in as well as takeaway? Sounds interesting. I'm not a real veggie or vegan but do like the food!! Especially anything with cashew nut cream.

As this thread seems to have been resurrected, I'd like to add a recommendation for Farmstand, on Drury Lane just round the corner from Broad Court.  I discovered it thanks to a friend who was working at ROH last summer, and it's been a favourite of mine ever since for lunch and pre-theatre dinner.  You get a meat (or other protein) item and two side dishes for around £7-£8, with counter service (so no service charges) and plentiful free water available.  https://farmstand.co.uk/ Though I'm told they are not the best for breakfast (overpriced/disappointing).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2018 at 18:53, LinMM said:

Sorry Blossom can you it sit in as well as takeaway? Sounds interesting. I'm not a real veggie or vegan but do like the food!! Especially anything with cashew nut cream.

Yes you can sit in. Also not a veggie or vegan but it caters gluten free which I do need.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...