Categories of Friends at the ROH

The ROH magazine popped through the door today. One thing that caught my eye was something that I had meant to query before.  On the "when to book" page it gives a date for "Friends (including Standard, Senior and Insiders)". 

What exactly is a "Senior" Friend or an Insider ? I have looked on the ROH web page but not found anything that explained it, or how one could sign up for it. 

Is it possibly a concessionary rate for older people ? I wonder because of a possible comparison with the National Trust which has a cheaper rate for pensioners, but only if you specifically ask them for it, otherwise your direct debit continues at the same price. 

I believe the ‘Senior’ category is no longer available.  It used to be available to Seniors who had been Friends of Covent Garden for a specified number of years before reaching 60.  I’m afraid I don’t remember how many years this was.   If you became a ‘Senior’ Friend before the category was removed, you were able to retain this status.  I think there was originally quite a sizable discount for Senior Friends but this was gradually eroded till it became a discount of a few pounds only.

As for ‘Insiders’, I believe this is also a discontinued category.  I found the following in a 2013 article on the ROH website:

Friends membership is available across a number of levels. Beginning at £50 per year for ROH Insiders (under 30s) and £85 for those over 30. Supporting and Premium memberships offer exclusive events and access.

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/watch-what-does-it-mean-to-be-a-friend-of-covent-garden

Edit:  I just clicked on 'Insiders' in the above article and was led to the current page which now uses the term 'Young Friends' instead of 'Insiders'

http://www.roh.org.uk/memberships/young-friend

Edited by Bluebird

1 hour ago, bangorballetboy said:

Insiders are the 16-30 category (was Overture in my day) - see here.

No idea about Senior...

It was 'Junior Associates' in my day. And you got a certain number of vouchers towards the cost of tickets. It was largely because of that scheme that I was able to go to the number of performances I went to in my late teens/early 20s (though I still don't quite understand how I managed it!).

• Like 2

Thank you Bridiem.  I recall Junior Associates being under 26 and remember Upper Slips places being in effect free or 50p for many performances when using the vouchers, including Jon Vickers in several unforgettable Tristan performances.

• Like 1