Auditions and away from home eating out

sarahw

I thought it would be handy to be able to share any special offers/codes for eating out etc. The cost of food soon adds up on these trips. Unfortunately I don't have one to kick off with but am in Glasgow in half term if anyone has any ideas?

• Like 1

A few rough notes from some material I'm preparing on this topic:

- A useful initial resource (along with local newspapear ads) is moneysavingexpert.com. Start with their Restaurant special deals: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-restaurant-deals. Also look at the rest of their site e.g. for discounts at supermarkets and for other ways to save on cafe spending (e.g. cashback, loyalty and student cards).  

- You can also Google "[name/type of place] [location] [month, year] coupon" for special deals including Groupon etc. deals and apps.  Just be careful when going to unknown sites for coupons: Many coupons are in fact out of date or fake, and some 'coupon' sites contain malware.  If in doubt, call the cafe to check which deals they accept. I'd suggest checking that a coupon is valid BEFORE you place you order - It's not much fun to be half way through eating a delicious 'free' fancy cake only to glance at your smartphone and find that the cafe only takes printed coupons, or that the coupon is valid only on weekdays or at a different branch of the chain...

- There are some interesting substitutes for traditional cafes - e.g. the Virgin Money Lounge (Sarah, they have one in Glasgow - see https://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/store-finder/99.jsp ). It's free to use if you set up a simple account with them (Last I checked, you could set up just a £1 savings account).

-  There are also services that let you buy surplus restaurant food at huge discounts  e.g. Too Good To Go http://toogoodtogo.co.uk/ Sarah, I believe they also operate in Glasgow.

• Like 5

If you are travelling by train, national rail do 2 for 1 offers at some restaurants in a number of cities. Also, quite often you can get one off discounts for pub chains if you sign up for their emails (and then unsubscribe! ;) ) We have done this recently for All Bar One and Nicholson's pubs. X

• Like 2

A watchout for eating at licenced premises in Scotland - rules about under 18s and dining are much stricter than in England. Unless they have a 'Childrens Certificate' under 18s may not be allowed in at all, and even when they are permitted there are often time restrictions such as not allowed after 7.30pm. Always check with them beforehand, we had issues when on holiday in Argyll with a 15 and a 17 year old.

If you go in to websites of chains such as Bella Italia, Prezzo, Bill’s, Cafe Rouge etc, and sign up, you will get loads of email offers. You can often use the codes direct from your phone with no need to print off vouchers. 

• Like 3

If you register with Groupon you can search for offers in the city you're going to be visiting.

There's also www.bookatable.com - they have some pretty good deals at times.

Not sure of what type of food you're looking for but if you're going to be in Glasgow shopping during the day I can thoroughly recommend the Horseshoe Bar in Drury Lane.  A Glasgow tradition - old school type pub with fab food to build you back up for a few more hours of shopping - mains all under £10 and I think if you sign up for their newsletter you also get a money off voucher.

There's also the Chippy Doon the Lane, just off Buchanan Street - down a lane up some windy stairs, yes the entrance leaves a lot to be desired, but definitely worth a visit.

DD and I will be frequenting both of these again in the coming weeks when she is home from Taynuilt and we are shopping for her birthday presents and starting our Christmas shopping.  Maybe we'll see you there sarahw.  :)

• Like 2

Oooo right, places to eat in Glasgow - so so many! I've gotten great offers from 5pm.com, Groupon/Itison and if you have an ATG theatre card you can get some good discounts. 

Butterfly & Pig Tearooms on Bath Street - best value afternoon tea & meals, amazing cakes & lovely home cooked style good. 

Antipasti (Sauchiehall St) yummy & good lunch, pre theatre etc menus, good value.

Sloans is quite nice & not too expensive. Roasters Deli, Smoak nice, about a million fancy burger places, loads of pub restaurants....that's just the city centre! Merchant City has a few slightly fancier places, vegan places, cake cafes, and also Tron Theatre Cafe is nice. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! May need to pay an extra trip to Glasgow to try out all the ideas!!!

I realised today you can swap Tesco £2.50 vouchers for £10 of Pizza Express or other restaurant vouchers.

Nectar are a bit similar. I've put the app on my phone - their offers seem to change weekly.

Try and obtain a student ID card. My eldest used hers when she was in yr11 for dining out when some eateries offer student discount. As well as the obligatory retail therapy required on these occasions. 

Not too sure if all schools provide them, we were lucky with hers as it carried a photo as well.  Saved us a few ££.

There are more than one type of student ID cards. The NUS card is for 16+ and not just university students - apply online and it gets sent to the school.£12 a year (sending it to the school and not a home address is the validation part). The international student card is also £12 , again apply online I think and it is for aged 12+ in full time education. You have to provide proof of education but it says a copy of a letter on headed paper so not sure it is validated in the same way.

11 minutes ago, meadowblythe said:

Here's a link to the NUS scheme - pays for itself many times over.  You have to be in the sixth form to get one, but school is fine, doesn't have to be college.

https://www.nus.org.uk/en/nus-extra/festudentdiscounts/

sixthforms didn't used to be able to access that  scheme  on FE  and HE  colleges / unis

21 hours ago, Flit_and_float said:

Oooo right, places to eat in Glasgow - so so many! I've gotten great offers from 5pm.com, Groupon/Itison and if you have an ATG theatre card you can get some good discounts. 

Butterfly & Pig Tearooms on Bath Street - best value afternoon tea & meals, amazing cakes & lovely home cooked style good. 

Antipasti (Sauchiehall St) yummy & good lunch, pre theatre etc menus, good value.

Sloans is quite nice & not too expensive. Roasters Deli, Smoak nice, about a million fancy burger places, loads of pub restaurants....that's just the city centre! Merchant City has a few slightly fancier places, vegan places, cake cafes, and also Tron Theatre Cafe is nice. 

I second the Butterfly and Pig recommendation (great breakfasts there too!) but would like to add a recommendation for the fairly new Ardnamurchan, opposite the stage door of the Theatre Royal and just round the corner from RCS - their set lunch menu is amazing value for money.  I had a 3 course meal with a large glass of wine one Sunday (yes it's even available on Sundays) earlier this year and paid less than £20 including service.

• Like 1

Don’t know what mobile provider you use but Three has an app called Wuntu for customers and it has new offers each week you can claim. This week has a completely free pasta from Bella Italia or burger at Cafe Rouge! You literally just add your email and get a code to show in store on the app. Also had a free coffee last week at Costa and lots of other little discounts on there too. Of course only helpful if you are on Three...

• Like 2