Company Wayne McGregor: Autobiography, London, October 2017

Not ballet, but a notable premiere tonight at Sadlers.. I have a 50% hit rate with Mr McGregor's creations, but this was definitely one of the ones that worked for me (though not my neighbours, who slipped out).  The music was performed live, though backstage, as far as I could tell from the back of the second circle. It's by Jlin, who creates striking electro music, sometimes industrial and rhythmic, sometimes more lyrical.  The dancing was quite virtuosic and mostly high energy - I'm amazed at the stamina of this company and not surprised they all look like walking anatomy diagrams. It was in a very different style to his trademark angular ballet repertoire (though I did spot a couple of those leg shakes, like a dog leaving a lamppost), with elements of street dance and even some moves reminiscent of kung fu techniques. I don't know if there's a hierarchy in this company but the dancer who always catches my eye is Fukiko Takase, who is extraordinarily compelling.  

I didn't get a programme so I have no clue what was supposed to be going on - I expect it was something about DNA and quantum physics  - I just sat back and enjoyed the dancing!

Edited by Quintus
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I didn't get a programme so I have no clue what was supposed to be going on - I expect it was something about DNA and quantum physics 

That's so funny, Quintus! I'm giving this a miss because my hit rate with McGregor is a lot lower than yours and the concept sounded horribly narcissistic so I probably would have started off with the wrong mind set. But I'm glad you enjoyed the dancing (which is after all all that matters).

• Like 1

we had a short photo shoot in the afternoon before the opening night, so here are some photos. Looks stunning (though the photos don't do it justice)! Can't wait to see the whole thing myself, Friday evening.

37463441606_2bf5b0c565_z.jpg
Jacob O'Connell
©  Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

37480390342_e8994aeb02_z.jpg
James Pett, Fukiko Takase, Travis Clausen-Knight, Jessica Wright
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

37252874450_dbbaf8f26c_z.jpg
James Pett, Fukiko Takase
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

See more...

Set from DanceTabs: Company Wayne McGregor - Autobiography (first 3 sections)
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 2

• John Mallinson changed the title to Company Wayne McGregor: Autobiography, London, October 2017