Bolshoi ballet school building, pre-Soviet

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help with some research (about a ballet school, but its history and architecture, so not really appropriate for 'Doing Dance'). I've been trying to find images of the Bolshoi ballet school in Moscow but can only find photos of a Soviet-era building in the Frunzenskaya district. I can't find any information about when that building was erected, or where the school was and what it looked like in pre-revolutionary times. I'd also be interested to know whether, in the past, the Bolshoi company rehearsed in the old school building (as the imperial ballet rehearsed on Theatre Street in Petersburg). Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! 

The present building of the Moscow State Academy of Choreography (commonly known as the Bolshoi Academy) at 2nd Frunzenskaya Street was constructed in 1968. Architects V.Lebedev and A.Larin.
Images of the building: http://www.old.balletacademy.ru/www/fotoexs.shtml

The previous home of the Academy (Moscow Imperial School before 1917) was very close to the Bolshoi Theatre, at the corner of Pushechnaya Street and Neglinnaya Street. It is situated inside the courtyard and  not facing the street. This building of the XIX c. was not so grand as St.Petersburgh Imperial Theatre School at 2, Rossi Street (not Theatre Street).

To find out about the rehearsals in the past try to contact the Museum of the Bolshoi Theatre:

Director Lydia Kharina: +7 (495) 692-0642;   Research and information: +7 (495) 692-0025

e-mail: museum@bolshoi.ru

Edited by Amelia
contacts added
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your information and suggestions! Amelia, thanks also for your correction on Theatre Street/Rossi Street. The period I'm researching is around the time (I believe 1923?) it changed its name but of course you're quite right that I'm out of date referring to it by its original name!

Thanks again,

Rebecca