sorry if I have missed a post on this but looking back I could only find older books.

I have just bought a few new dance books for my daughters (age 8 and 9) and thought others might be interested in checking them out. They haven't read them yet so i can't comment on how good they are.

The Tsar's Ballet Slippers by Angela A. Riley

Born to Dance by Jean Ure which is apparently the first of three

The Secret of the Ballet Book by Navita Dello

Any other recommendations for this sort of age? We have Lorna Hill, Noel Streatfeild and Drina.

Thanks

Edited by Mrs Brown
correcting spelling of Streatfeild

One or 2 Rumer Godden titles of which I have Thursdays Children about a boy trying to make his way in ballet. Also Veronica Tennant, ex principal ballerina with Canadian Ballet. I have On Stage, Please. Don't know if she wrote any others. Felicity Dances by Arnold Haskell the ballet critic. A Time to Dance by Robina Beckles Willson. Helen Snow The Ballerina Mystery. Finally, the Mara Kay book; A Circling Star set in an historical ballet school in St Petersburg where the discipline is very strict. She also wrote Masha, and The Youngest Lady in waiting though they're set in the Smolni Institute in Russia and aren't directly connected to ballet. I think the Helen Snow and Mara Kay titles would be better for slightly older children. They are all old titles; 1950s to 70s so probably not in print. Good hunting!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Might I suggest this lovely new book, written and beautifully illustrated by Roslyn Bertram.

Petrova and the Swan based on a true story of a young girls dream to become a ballet dancer. 

Available on Amazon.co.uk and Lulu.com 

Book launch and signing at Danceworks see the post above.