This makes me slightly cross

taxi4ballet

When dd was an associate at Central, the school referred to the top/Pre-Senior class as "Ladies" and "Men".  Christine Woodward, the Pre-Senior Ladies' teacher,  always addressed her students as "Dancers".   I thought all those terms were fine.  

I agree re John Lewis, Fonty.  What on earth would have been the problem with "Children"?

• Like 2

In case the pedantic wonder why I added the apostrophe, I misread the original label, I thought the clothing range was labelled Boys' and Girls'  rather than Boys and Girls. without the apostrophes. :) Apparently, they also have labels that read Girls and Boys.  Phew, that's a relief.  

Edited to add the smilie.  I would hate anybody to think I was having a go at pedants!

Edited by Fonty

5 hours ago, Fonty said:

The press has been full of stuff about John Lewis, who have "introduced new non-gender specific John Lewis stitched labels and combined 'Girls & Boys' swing tags to clothing for John Lewis own label collections in 2016."

If they wanted to be non-gender specific, why didn't the label simply say Children's?

They can label it however they like in the shops, but they seem to have forgotten to change things on their website....:D

Oops. Epic fail there, JL.

6 hours ago, Anna C said:

When dd was an associate at Central, the school referred to the top/Pre-Senior class as "Ladies" and "Men". 

But that's wrong as well :) Either ladies and gentlemen, or men and women, but not a combination of the two :)

Signed,

Linguistic Pedant No. 2

• Like 6