This makes me slightly cross

taxi4ballet

I have just been reading a review (under the Dance Links tab - Royal Ballet and Company Wayne McGregor) in which the reviewer refers to the male dancers as 'men' and the female dancers as 'girls'.

They are not girls, they are women.

Is it just me, or do other people find this somewhat annoying too?

• Like 2

And not only in dance, either.  I've spotted it several times in other things such as tennis and probably gymnastics.  Come to think of it, probably every other sport women participate in, too.

Not that I'm not guilty of doing it myself at times too, of course :(

• Like 1

7 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

I have just been reading a review (under the Dance Links tab - Royal Ballet and Company Wayne McGregor) in which the reviewer refers to the male dancers as 'men' and the female dancers as 'girls'.

They are not girls, they are women.

Is it just me, or do other people find this somewhat annoying too?

incredibly common  to mix this  in situations  where  it's not  appropriate or  necessary to  ...  part of the  systemic biases  that  are  there  and which many people claim  aren't a problem usually becasue they are on  the powerful side of the equation or  are sufferign a form of stockholm syndrome ... 

ladies and  gentlemen ,  men and  women ,  boys and girls ,  choose one  pairing and stick to it; Unless you are  talking about  where  one  component  of the pairing is an adult and the other a  child. 

if your whole class / gorup are adults  it;s just a matter of idiom if you make reference to the 'boy' work and the 'girl ' work ... 

1 hour ago, zxDaveM said:

in sport its common to refer to teammates as 'the boys' in mens' competitions

however  the  phraseology is not as loaded as it  with the referenceto adult women as  girls

, and it;s rare to hear reference to  boys and  women in the  same breathe , unless  it's  a comparison of  performance ... 
i.e. in certain sports the   elite  women  or  elite  paraathletes  perofroance / scores are in line with the top 'boys' age group  ( i.e. the 16 -18s)

15 hours ago, mph said:

ladies and  gentlemen ,  men and  women ,  boys and girls ,  choose one  pairing and stick to it; Unless you are  talking about  where  one  component  of the pairing is an adult and the other a  child. 

I agree, this makes sense, and would soon stop the females being referred to in a way that suggests they are a lot younger than the males.  

At the all-girl school where my husband teaches, they have been banned from referring to the students as  "girls" or "ladies."  Apparently it is to do with the LGBTIQ issues; some of them may be considering gender re-alignment.

Shame, I have always found "ladies" a very workable way of getting the attention of a group of young females - I always worked on the principal if it worked for my favourite ballet teacher it would work for me.  It has sufficient novelty value to make them stop and it is entirely non judgemental.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, meadowblythe said:

At the all-girl school where my husband teaches, they have been banned from referring to the students as  "girls" or "ladies."  Apparently it is to do with the LGBTIQ issues; some of them may be considering gender re-alignment.

Out of curiosity, if a student at an all-girls school follows through on the gender-realignment, do they have to leave?  

On 31/08/2017 at 15:36, meadowblythe said:

Oh good lord! 

• Like 1

I remember, years ago, there was some criticism of the use of "boys" to refer to male members of ballet companies regardless of their age. Apparently that seems to have been sorted, but the female equivalent still needs to be worked on.

As for not referring to students as "girls" or "ladies" in an all-girls' school - that sounds a bit idiotic. There may be students considering gender realignment surgery (although, is it really that common these days?), but while they're in the process of considering it, they're still girls and there shouldn't be a problem referring to them as such.

• Like 5

I guess you could just say "right folks time up finish the sentence you're on!" 

Interestigly have been referred to as "guys" in ballet class before now!! Didn't bother me ....though most of us were "ladies" but I think it has sort of become the new word for " all of you lot" 

• Like 1

On 31/08/2017 at 15:36, meadowblythe said:

Oh good heavens!  This is ridiculous.  Have we really come to the point where we cannot refer to someone by gender?  Or indeed, to ban it?  Sorry, this is like a red rag to a bull for me.  I went through all the uproar at University, where the militant PC brigade brutally and publicly insulted anyone who dared to use any terms that implied gender.  Hence the insistence on the word Chairperson, which still grates on me.  

I already find it stupid that the Oscars decided that the word Actress was demeaning in some way, although I have no idea how.  So now they have awards for Best Male Actor and Best Female Actor.  How long before they are not allowed to use the words Male and Female?  "Best Actor with a Penis.  Best Actor without a Penis.  Best Actor who has neither.  Best Actor who can't decide whether or not they want one......"  Still, I suppose it increases the number of awards available.

Oh, and while I am ranting.  What do the letters I and Q stand for in LGBTIQ stand for?  Anyone care to enlighten me, in case I get arrested for using the incorrect term while addressing someone?

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Oh good heavens!  This is ridiculous.  Have we really come to the point where we cannot refer to someone by gender?  Or indeed, to ban it?  Sorry, this is like a red rag to a bull for me.  I went through all the uproar at University, where the militant PC brigade brutally and publicly insulted anyone who dared to use any terms that implied gender.  Hence the insistence on the word Chairperson, which still grates on me.  

I already find it stupid that the Oscars decided that the word Actress was demeaning in some way, although I have no idea how.  So now they have awards for Best Male Actor and Best Female Actor.  How long before they are not allowed to use the words Male and Female?  "Best Actor with a Penis.  Best Actor without a Penis.  Best Actor who has neither.  Best Actor who can't decide whether or not they want one......"  Still, I suppose it increases the number of awards available.

Oh, and while I am ranting.  What do the letters I and Q stand for in LGBTIQ stand for?  Anyone care to enlighten me, in case I get arrested for using the incorrect term while addressing someone?

Can't help with "I" but the other day I discovered that the "Q" stands for Queer.  I'm still scratching my head over that because I always thought it was a derogatory term for a male homosexual.  

• Like 1

I work in a sixth form college and we have to have training in this. LGBTIQ is Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Questioning. Intersex is somebody with characteristics of both sexes. As far as I understand it, Questioning is a Christian person who says they are something that their religion says is wrong.  Missing however is Asexual. I questioned this in the last training session and I did not receive a suitable answer. Be prepared for more letters to be added to this - excluded are Gay & Lesbian Muslims and others.

Where I work, if I'm address a group of female students, I say "girls" and for a group of male students, I say "boys". For a mixed group, I am very imaginative - "girls and boys".

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, trog said:

I work in a sixth form college and we have to have training in this. LGBTIQ is Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Questioning. Intersex is somebody with characteristics of both sexes. As far as I understand it, Questioning is a Christian person who says they are something that their religion says is wrong.  Missing however is Asexual. I questioned this in the last training session and I did not receive a suitable answer. Be prepared for more letters to be added to this - excluded are Gay & Lesbian Muslims and others.

Where I work, if I'm address a group of female students, I say "girls" and for a group of male students, I say "boys". For a mixed group, I am very imaginative - "girls and boys".

Thank goodness it's "Questioning" and not "Queer"!  I obviously misread - how embarrassing.

Actually, I looked it up, and it did give the Q as Queer.  As in "I am one of the LGBT group, but I don't care to have a specific label, as I identify with all of them"

Where is that facepalm smilie when I need it?  

I would like to make it quite plain that I have every sympathy for those who may have real gender problems.  It must be a terrible thing to have to live with.  I just wonder how many of the population of Britain actually fall into that category?  I have many gay and lesbian friends who are quite bemused by this sudden lumping together of all these groups, as none of them have any issues about their gender at all.  

• Like 4

LGBTQIA

Definitions and short explanation of why these terms are being used from US organization, NOW (National Organization for Women): http://now.org/blog/now-updates-acronym-lgbtqia/

Lesbian

Gay

Bisexual

Transgender

Queer

Intersex

Asexual

A bit of a memory test as well as a tongue twister.  Perhaps if they reordered, we could come up with something easy to say and remember like RADAR or SCUBA...

In certain TV programmes (Location; Escape to....; A Place in ..... for example), a same sex couple are frequently and repetitively referred to as "the boys" or "the girls". I have often wondered whether the participants are comfortable with this when they watch the show.

7 hours ago, capybara said:

In certain TV programmes (Location; Escape to....; A Place in ..... for example), a same sex couple are frequently and repetitively referred to as "the boys" or "the girls". I have often wondered whether the participants are comfortable with this when they watch the show.

I know what you mean - although you hear "girls' night out" or "one of the boys" used fairly frequently, so it probably isn't much of an issue that way. It is much more irritating when it is used in a professional/work context.

On 9/2/2017 at 14:26, dancemom2 said:

LGBTQIA

Definitions and short explanation of why these terms are being used from US organization, NOW (National Organization for Women): http://now.org/blog/now-updates-acronym-lgbtqia/

Lesbian

Gay

Bisexual

Transgender

Queer

Intersex

Asexual

A bit of a memory test as well as a tongue twister.  Perhaps if they reordered, we could come up with something easy to say and remember like RADAR or SCUBA...

UK Use  tends to  place Q as questioning 

interestingly  enough there is  debate at  times aobut moving  to  GRSM or GRSD as  the umbrella  terms  ( gender, relationship, sexuality minorities /  gender,relationship, sexuality  diverse )  -  although this  starts fights as it  could also include   cis gender hetereosexuals  from the Poly and  Kink  communities  ... 

longer   versions than LGBTQIA or  LGBTQ+  tend to be used for  somewhat  satirical  purposes. 

wi the regard to use of language in schools etc.  there are  various figures floating around , often depending on definitions as well that put  gender none conformity any where between 0.5 % to  couple of % of the population  and  the  figures for  notbeing  heterosexual and monogamous   are all over the place, often dependiong on  whether   it;s a 'have you  ever'  figure ... 

9 hours ago, mph said:

interestingly  enough there is  debate at  times aobut moving  to  GRSM or GRSD as  the umbrella  terms  ( gender, relationship, sexuality minorities /  gender,relationship, sexuality  diverse )  -  although this  starts fights as it  could also include   cis gender hetereosexuals  from the Poly and  Kink  communities  ... 

longer   versions than LGBTQIA or  LGBTQ+  tend to be used for  somewhat  satirical  purposes. 

My IQ isn't up to following any of this.

• Like 4

The press has been full of stuff about John Lewis, who have "introduced new non-gender specific John Lewis stitched labels and combined 'Girls & Boys' swing tags to clothing for John Lewis own label collections in 2016."

If they wanted to be non-gender specific, why didn't the label simply say Children's?

• Like 6