BRB Sleeping Beauty Casting?

Hi everyone,

When might we know casting for the delightful BRB Sleeping Beauty? I would love to see divine Delia Mathews and Brandon Lawrence dance it, but I imagine we won't know casting until a month or so before?

It's just that I'd like to buy train tickets, actual tickets, book hotel etc whilst all are affordable!

Otherwise I will have to gamble by booking a Friday, and two Saturday shows, hoping D&B will be dancing in one of those 😓

• Like 1

BRB is not alone in announcing its casting late in the day for those who want to book for specific dancers, need to travel to do so, and want decent seats within their price range.

The RB reveals the details later than it used to but still in time for when booking opens. I'm not sure that I understand the problem for other companies unless the work is new to the rep. or is returning after a long absence, in which case the way the rehearsals pan out will obviously have an impact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nickwellings said:

Hi everyone,

When might we know casting for the delightful BRB Sleeping Beauty? I would love to see divine Delia Mathews and Brandon Lawrence dance it, but I imagine we won't know casting until a month or so before?

It's just that I'd like to buy train tickets, actual tickets, book hotel etc whilst all are affordable!

Otherwise I will have to gamble by booking a Friday, and two Saturday shows, hoping D&B will be dancing in one of those 😓

If you are very lucky you might have  them by the second week in January 

Do we know if either dancer would even be doing SB? I would think they would be but it's pot luck end of the day. At least w ENB you can more or less bank on Alina on opening night (excl.maternity leave) and Irina Takahashi invariably does their Saturday matinees. BRB are much less predictable!!

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, nickwellings said:

Thanks,both. I imagine it's "just the way it is" with BRB! I imagine they truly can't commit principals to it until very close to the time!

IF that's the case, I wonder why not?  The RB can commit principals months in advance!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sim said:

IF that's the case, I wonder why not?  The RB can commit principals months in advance!

BRB used to do exactly that in the Peter Wright days.

This is one of my greatest beefs about BRB, along with if you have a first night subscription you tend to get the same first cast regardless of the ballet.  Now Joe Caley has left this might not be such a prominent feature of the season.

BRB have at least 4 experienced Auroras and I expect the first night will be Nao Sakuma, Momoka Hirata or Jenna Roberts, depending which princes are available.  There is also Maureya Lebowitz who gave a lovely performance with Mathias Dingman about 3 years ago.   I am sure Delia will do it, not least as it is her photo on all the publicity material, and it would be just fab if she did it with Brandon Lawrence but David Bintley has odd views about regular partnerships.

Personally I would be very disappointed if Celine Gittens and Tyrone Singleton don't get a shot.   I have my ticket for the opening night but I would be more than happy to stump up for another one if I had a reasonable chance to getting the cast(s) I really want to see.  However I make the point, yet again, that if the performances are heavily sold when the casting is announced I am not prepared to pay a lot of money for an indifferent seat.

• Like 5

In fact it was the image of DM as Aurora which prompted me to ask this question, TwoPigeons! 😊 I thought the same: if she's in the publicity shots, she must be dancing it. I really don't know what to do. Southampton is my favoured venue, due to good ticket prices and an Ibis hotel in town! I think waiting for Birmingham casting or two weeks before won't work...what a bother!

• Like 2

I agree it is a real pain with BRB announcing casts so late. ENB have improved since TR took over so it is possible to plan a little more in advance. Royal Ballet and ABT cast months in advance which is very helpful for those traveling. At least with BRB you are more or less guaranteed a stellar performance whoever dances though! 

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

I agree it is a real pain with BRB announcing casts so late. ENB have improved since TR took over so it is possible to plan a little more in advance. Royal Ballet and ABT cast months in advance which is very helpful for those traveling. At least with BRB you are more or less guaranteed a stellar performance whoever dances though! 

More stellar than RB or ABT? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SwissBalletFan said:

More stellar than RB or ABT? 

Not as far as I'm concerned, I'm afraid. Although I love the BRB's SB production, I like to be able to pick who I am going to see - including dancers new to roles.

Surely, there are many people on this Forum who are Friends of BRB and might, collectively, be able to press the importance of knowing casting in advance?

The Friends of BRB really tried when David Bintley first took over the company but this is something on which the management will  not be moved.

I remember Keith Longmore in whatever incarnation he was at the time, Head of Publicity of something similar, said they all thought it was sad that people were not happy just to see the company, regardless of who was dancing.  I understand Bintley didn't want people just booking to see Robert Parker.  

The company has now, for me, two stellar partnerships.  It will surprise no one when I say that these are Tyrone Singleton with Celine Gittens and Delia Mathews with Brandon Lawrence.  Personally I would be almost equally happy to see Tyrone and Delia, Brandon and Celine dancing with each other.   It seems odd to me if the management are taking the view they don't want to company dominated by a few dancers that we seem to get Momoko Hirata and Joe Caley so much last year.   I am still reeling from the failure to promote Brandon at the end of last season.  I think that could rebound on the company in the future.

The company has one other partnership which has led in the classics for many years and Janet will never forgive me if I do not mention Chi Cao and Nau Sakuma.  However, I would suggest gently that they are do not have the box office draw of the others I mention.

There is one big difference between RB and BRB.  The Royal Ballet has an audience which contains a significant number who will go to see each production a number of times.  BRB has an audience which in the main is likely to go only once, in Birmingham or on tour.   However frustrating some of us may find this if they have a 'banker' production such as one of the classics or Romeo and Juliet as long as there are bums on seats I cannot see anything making the management changing their casting policy to please those of us who would like more choice over which performances we would like to see.

• Like 2

P.s.  I was secretary of the BRB Friends when David Bintley took over the company.   The season opened with a newly designed Birthday Offering and Carmina Burana .   We wanted to send flowers to the principal ladies and I kept asking for a list of the people concerned.  When none was forthcoming I wrote a letter pointing out that we didn't want to send a number of bouquets labelled 'to whom it may concern'.  

In the end I was faxed a list to my office which just gave me time to write and attach the cards.  It was a portent of things to come.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Two Pigeons said:

There is one big difference between RB and BRB.  The Royal Ballet has an audience which contains a significant number who will go to see each production a number of times.  BRB has an audience which in the main is likely to go only once, in Birmingham or on tour.  

....... which is precisely why the casting needs to be published in advance.

Thank you so much, Two Pigeons, for explaining what has been done in the past to try to move minds on this issue. BRB does rather come across as not appreciating that there are different segments and different needs among its audience and that loyal 'travellers' need nurturing alongside the others.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Two Pigeons said:

The company has one other partnership which has led in the classics for many years and Janet will never forgive me if I do not mention Chi Cao and Nau Sakuma.  However, I would suggest gently that they are do not have the box office draw of the others I mention.

Although of course Nao and Chi did not always dance SB together.  Nao was partnered with Robert Parker and Chi with the wonderful Ambra Vallo.

It is always very well having casting well in advance but of course casting can never be guaranteed and I know of people (including on this board) who have ended up disappointed.  While everyone knows who my favourite male dancer is at BRB, primarily I book to see the company and have, over the years, often booked extras to see him (and even then sometimes suffered a disappointment).

Of course this is all speculation at the moment.  As far as I am concerned BRB currently has 4 extant Auroras in Nao, Momoko, Jenna and Maureya (all wonderful). Given that the tour is Sleeping Beauty and there are nearly 2 weeks of performances in Birmingham I would expect there may be six casts so I would think Delia and Celine but maybe also Yaoqian, Miki or Carla in the mix.  I do not know if the incomparable Marion will still be performing Carabosse but I assume Samara will be reprising the role and I would love to see Celine give it a go.  My dream come true would be to see Chi cast in the role (not unprecedented as David Morse was a terrific Carabosse).  As for Princes ... Tyrone (born to dance a Prince), Mathias, Chi, Iain, Brandon, Lachlan...

• Like 1

Miki?

Sorry, Jan, not everyone is as familiar with the BRB dancers as you are :)

As a rule of thumb - when able to go and see them anyway :( - I never book for BRB until casting is out, so the later they leave it, the later I leave it.  Particularly when you tend to be almost guaranteed a repeat cast sometime on the Saturday.

• Like 1

I really do think it is bad form not to announce principal casting ahead of booking.  I have just read through this thread and my impression is that the BRB management need to re-think their current policy.  I am sure that the "powers that be" at BRB would not want to book for a play or classical concert without knowing who would be taking the leading roles in the play or be the violinist/pianist in the concert ??  Most ballet goers need to watch their budgets, and as such, need to spend wisely and therefore need to make the right selection.  It seems to be a very negative and short-sighted policy from management.  I do hope that in the not too distant future, this policy will be rectified - we can but hope. 

• Like 1

it is more the rule than the exception amongst ballet companies worldwide to wait till a couple of weeks before opening (loooooong after booking has opened) to announce casting. 

At New York City Ballet they used to announce casting THE WEEK BEFORE performances. It was a Balanchine principle that people should come to see the choreography, not specific dancers. Not that I agreed with that, especially as I was trying to book flights to see a particular dancer! But that was the principle.  Now NYCB announces casting two weeks before, but that was because the dancers' union demanded it, because the dancers were unable to plan their lives with such short notice about casting!)

And National Ballet of Canada also had the same concern that David Bintley had about people only booking to see Robert Parker: audiences would only book to see Karen Kain. And then how would the audiences ever discover the NEXT Robert Parker or Karen Kain? (Don't get me wrong, I LUUUUHHHHVed Robert Parker!)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, toursenlair said:

And National Ballet of Canada also had the same concern that David Bintley had about people only booking to see Robert Parker: audiences would only book to see Karen Kain. And then how would the audiences ever discover the NEXT Robert Parker or Karen Kain? (Don't get me wrong, I LUUUUHHHHVed Robert Parker!)

I think you might be 'preaching to the converted, Katherine. Ballet goers on this Forum seem to want to book for debutantes and dancers they haven't seen in particular roles as well as their favourites. Maybe, if BRB and other companies have a problem, they need to do more to ensure a higher public profile for more of their Principals and Soloists. They could, for example, turn the spotlight onto a different leading couple at each touring venue.

• Like 1

Indeed capybara,  I think the principals and promising soloists at BRB could well benefit from a higher public profile.  When Yasmine Naghdi was promoted it made the front page of The Times.  I have absolutely no argument with that and say bully for her.  I think the chances of any of the BRB dancers, even those who are British /London born, making the front page under any normal circumstances are negligible.  

It slightly grates on me that even Kevin O'Hare now seems to speak as though he went to the Royal Ballet and not BRB.  There are times when it seems as though the company only exists when it is appearing at a London venue.  Sir Peter Wright touches on the lack of publicity in his autobiography.  

• Like 2

I cannot decide whether I am envious or a little annoyed (tongue in cheek) about contributors who are able to pick and choose performances to see their favourite BRB dancer. When I lived in Birmingham I always went to the first night and following day matinee in order to see two casts. It was not at all unusual to see a better performance by the 'second' cast than the 'first'. Now, due to age and living in Wales I have to content myself with a matinee of each production. Frankly,I am thrilled to be able to see whoever is dancing. I believe that for a few seasons the company has been better than ever and I haven't seen a below par performance for a very long time.Of course I have favourites but I have been thrilled to support a rising star and often astonished at an unexpectedly brilliant performance.  I don't mind who is dancing - it's BRB and they are going to be great !

• Like 11

5 hours ago, capybara said:

I think you might be 'preaching to the converted, Katherine. Ballet goers on this Forum seem to want to book for debutantes and dancers they haven't seen in particular roles as well as their favourites. Maybe, if BRB and other companies have a problem, they need to do more to ensure a higher public profile for more of their Principals and Soloists. They could, for example, turn the spotlight onto a different leading couple at each touring venue.

But how do you suggest they turn the spotlight on.  Reviewers from the national press quite often see more than one cast at RB but only ever see (if we are "lucky") one BRB performance (or NB performance for that matter).  Quite often these days in Birmingham a stellar cast is put on for the Thursday matinee so the critics from London can attend on a day trip - not the "fault" of the critics but of newspapers cutting back and not funding overnight stays where they would be necessary.

Yes, I know I am going over old ground but a good example is some years ago when Chi Cao was nominated for best newcomer in the National Dance Awards.  He had been with the company a good 10 years and had been a principal for at least 3 years but was never reviewed.  When Robert Parker and Iain Mackay disappeared for a while he suddenly got press performances...

Do ENB usually have multiple performances in London reviewed?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

But how do you suggest they turn the spotlight on.  

I wasn't thinking only about reviews but about publicity for dancers in the touring venues prior to the Company's arrival. Doesn't BRB have a PR section among its staff which could turn its mind to this in such a way as to build interest in its amazing artistes?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, capybara said:

I wasn't thinking only about reviews but about publicity for dancers in the touring venues prior to the Company's arrival. Doesn't BRB have a PR section among its staff which could turn its mind to this in such a way as to build interest in its amazing artistes?

Some years ago when the company was touring midscale to Hull the audiences were tiny.  I spoke to the then media representative.  They had had 2 interviews with Robert Parker (from Hull) in local papers, an interview on local radio and a small feature on the local TV news.

The nearest the company came to a good splash of publicity was when Celine and Tyrone danced Swan Lake together (it was Celine's debut season in the role but Tyrone had previously performed the role).

It's a sad fact that if a company isn't London based then the national press is not interested.  Local press can only do so much.  

I think that the company has recently been using a PR company but I couldn't say if that has made any difference.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, capybara said:

I think today so much emphasis in our world has shifted.  Now often it is considered part of the fabric of an employee's own package to promote themselves and feed such into the whole.  Now self promotion - or the capacity to enrich such - is sometimes a key aspect in the actual hiring considerations.  When it comes down to the wire I'm entirely confident things like Facebook friends or Instagram likes are - or certainly could be - much more immediate judges.  No longer is it in so many ways - (regardless of what Radio 4 might have us otherwise believe) - 'For Whom the Broadsheets Toll'.  

Big up Brandon Lawrence is what I'm humming from off the ipod of my mind's ear at the moment!

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Well I wouldn't blame him either.  His current company has, in my opinion, shown a gross error of judgement in not promoting this immensely talented artist.  What great PR for BRB that would have been....a world-class artistic partnership (him and Delia) both getting promoted and going on to even greater things. 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, toursenlair said:

At New York City Ballet they used to announce casting THE WEEK BEFORE performances. It was a Balanchine principle that people should come to see the choreography, not specific dancers. Not that I agreed with that, especially as I was trying to book flights to see a particular dancer! But that was the principle.  Now NYCB announces casting two weeks before, but that was because the dancers' union demanded it, because the dancers were unable to plan their lives with such short notice about casting!)

I always thought that it was only the public announcement that was made such a short while before.  It never occurred to me that the dancers themselves didn't know!  Thinking about it, I suppose they couldn't if the whole idea is to get people to book, no matter who the performer is.  Somebody would always leak that information.  But it does seem very hard indeed on the dancers themselves, who will want to do other things on their nights off.  

I don't see the problem with having sell out performances for certain dancers.  Surely this generates interest amongst the general public?  A sign saying, "Book quickly, many performances sold out" indicates how popular it is, and the casual audience member who isn't particularly knowledgeable about the individual dancers might be more inclined to get a ticket?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fonty said:

I don't see the problem with having sell out performances for certain dancers.  Surely this generates interest amongst the general public?  A sign saying, "Book quickly, many performances sold out" indicates how popular it is, and the casual audience member who isn't particularly knowledgeable about the individual dancers might be more inclined to get a ticket?

It's true that sellouts can drive sales, but at the time the NBOC was performing in a 3000 seat theatre, so actual sellouts, even for Karen Kain, were rare.

Also, here's a cautionary tale. I used to volunteer in the ballet shop at NBOC performances. I was in charge of videos and DVDs. People would come up and say "Do you have Swan Lake?" and I'd say "yes, here we have the Royal Ballet, Paris Opera Ballet, and the Mariinsky". They would say "Don't you have Karen Kain?" and I'd say "sorry there is no video of the NBOC Swan Lake but look it's the ROYAL BALLET or PARIS OPERA BALLET or the MARIINSKY. These other companies are considered to be QUITE GOOD [nudge, nudge, wink, wink]". And the customer would walk away.

• Like 1