Facebook

Melody

I'm on travel at the moment and we have a new laptop, so of course when I tried to log into Facebook it told me my account was temporarily blocked and I'd have to prove in one way or other that I was really me. Apparently according to the explanation I could enter my date of birth or answer a security question or identify tagged photos from friends or get someone already designated as a trusted friend to send me a code. 

Well - I go to actually try one of these, and it turns out that the date of birth option, which would be the most simple, wasn't there. Nor was the security question. But what was there was an option to see a set of 10 comments from FB threads and identify which four were mine. So I tried that and it was fairly obvious which were my comments, so I clicked them and got told, sorry, didn't work, try again. Tried again, found my comments, clicked them submitted them, got rejected. I was then shut out of being able to verify my identity for 24 hours. The 24 hours were just up, I just tried again, same thing - it wouldn't accept that I knew my own comments. So apparently I'm locked out of FB till we get home and the bloody thing recognises my ID.

Seriously - just entering date of birth would have fixed this, unless of course they refused to accept that. And of course FB doesn't have any sort of helpline or chat or anything useful. You'd think, if they refused to provide real-time help, they'd have the automated stuff in working order.

FB seems to operate on a 'do as it pleases' basis. I have reported vile racist comments before and always receive a bland response clearly generated by a computer saying they don't consider it breaches their standards. Heaven only knows what WOULD breach their 'standards', as I replied. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Legseleven said:

FB seems to operate on a 'do as it pleases' basis. I have reported vile racist comments before and always receive a bland response clearly generated by a computer saying they don't consider it breaches their standards. Heaven only knows what WOULD breach their 'standards', as I replied. 

sometimes you have to  re -report or  appeal the computer generated  message for actio nto get taken 

however they  seem to have a novel interpretation of 'ma's freeze peach ' means 

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 14:11, Legseleven said:

It must depend on whether they have a liberal or restrictive algorithm for things, since I gather that actual human beings don't tend to get involved in these decisions. A friend of mine on FB has drawn the ire of hard-core Diana fanatics when she goes to their groups to defend Charles and Camilla, and they report all her posts as being offensive. In one case they also reported her for posting nude photos, which she's never done. And she always seems to get infractions from FB for all these imagined slights; she was banned for a couple of weeks and had every single one of her photos deleted after the nude-photo episode. They never even checked - apparently when you get on the FB naughty list, you're fair game.

Anyway, after three days of trying they finally let me verify my identity with my date of birth so I got back on. But when my husband tried to log in from the remote location he was just let right in. Obviously consistency isn't their strong suit.

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 17:21, LinMM said:

So annoying!!

its like those voice recognition setups which then don't recognise your voice grrrr

Try having a Scottish accent when you encounter voice recognition software!!

Our smart TV at home will only respond to my son - apparently it doesn't recognize anything my husband, DD or I say!

Heaven help anyone with a strong accent as ours isn't that 'broad'.  Very frustrating.

• Like 1

I was listening to a programme which reported that this voice recognition is not without its problems!

For example it couldn't tell the difference between some twins voices in tests and even some brothers or sisters!

I always think some mothers and daughters can sound quite alike too but it is a little worrying that even some strangers may sound alike enough to fool this system.

I will give it to Barclays though that in the effort to sort it out was on the phone a long time and continually same thing going wrong so in the end a few days later  ( still not having achieved what I wanted to) I got a phone call saying they were reimbursing me for £20 for all the stress and time involved!!

• Like 1