UK ballet summer schools for 2018

leotardmum

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I would drop in here. My DD is currently doing the Professional Dance Experience summer course in Leeds and she is absolutely loving it!!!! I'm so impressed with the organisation of the course, she is loving being in the studios of NSCD, and she says every tea her is approachable and give helpful corrections too. I'm really looking forward to the demonstration on Friday :)

17 hours ago, sunrise81 said:

Just thought I would drop in here. My DD is currently doing the Professional Dance Experience summer course in Leeds and she is absolutely loving it!!!! I'm so impressed with the organisation of the course, she is loving being in the studios of NSCD, and she says every tea her is approachable and give helpful corrections too. I'm really looking forward to the demonstration on Friday :)

Ooo! Can I PM you about this? 

On 05/08/2018 at 20:24, MAK said:

Very true. The two week option is still available so may well be favoured by many for that reason. We got the impression that most of the dancers who had travelled (the majority in attendance) were doing two weeks this year. Dh did remark along the lines of: "just imagine how much dd would improve if she did a whole four consecutive weeks there" which I could not disagree with (although in practise I can't really see it happening for a number of reasons). The tuition we observed was exceptional.

My daughter is currently at ENBss week 4- finishing tomorrow. We found a beautiful b and b a 3 minute walk away from the school. It's cost £250 for 4 nights for 2 of us which I thought was very reasonable for Chelsea. It's actually worked out the same price as a week's residential at RBS would have been. I'm watching the classes tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, ImgyA said:

My daughter is currently at ENBss week 4- finishing tomorrow. We found a beautiful b and b a 3 minute walk away from the school. It's cost £250 for 4 nights for 2 of us which I thought was very reasonable for Chelsea. It's actually worked out the same price as a week's residential at RBS would have been. I'm watching the classes tomorrow. 

Would you mind messaging me the details as I am looking for somewhere to stay and that sounds perfect?!  Thank you 

My 2 dds are just finishing the week at Rugby school with Kings International Ballet Academy. They have loved it and have been worked hard. They have had jazz and contemporary workshops alongside ballet. All of the faculty are professional/ ex professional dancers.

I was surprised though at seeing how many older ones of 16 plus there were. Usually there tends to be more youngsters. One for people to consider.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/10/2017 at 21:07, Annasophia said:

http://www.mastersofballet.org/

https://www.facebook.com/Masters-Of-Ballet-Academy-578290265639441/

My DD really enjoyed the Masters of Ballet SS at the Sadler's Wells theater.  The teaching faculity, organization and the venue were fabulous.  I will apply for her to attend the SS next year. 

What were the class sizes? Do you know if there is any means for residential?

Edited by Mae989
Extra info

To go back to ENB changing to only the 2 or 4 week options, what happens at weekends?  Are there any organised activities or outings?  Are there 5 or 6 days of lessons each week?  What happens about food during the day - is there a canteen?   I'd be very grateful for the info - it will help us decide if we can send a student or not next year. Thank you.

8 hours ago, Dance*is*life said:

To go back to ENB changing to only the 2 or 4 week options, what happens at weekends?  Are there any organised activities or outings?  Are there 5 or 6 days of lessons each week?  What happens about food during the day - is there a canteen?   I'd be very grateful for the info - it will help us decide if we can send a student or not next year. Thank you.

As far as I understand, it will be much the same as choosing the 2 week option this year. Classes are Monday to Friday. You do as you wish during the weekend and there is no provision of a canteen. Packed lunch needed each day although I believe there is a fridge and microwave. Majority of participants were from abroad this year, staying nearby and wanting to sightsee over their weekend.

If you are looking for organised activities

( the full package) then look elsewhere ENB simply use the empty studios during the holidays. 

RAD summer was the full package with accommodation, food, Coach to studios, outings etc that was a few years back though so you will need to check 

One I know ran for 8 days over the weekend if you would prefer an intensive but that doesn’t have accommodation although there’s a cafe on site. 

My DC  always researched where certain qualified teachers were going to teach so we’ve tried a few different ones over the years. 

3 hours ago, Canary said:

RAD summer was the full package with accommodation, food, Coach to studios, outings etc that was a few years back though so you will need to check 

The ten year old did that this year and that’s correct. Had a ball and suited him nicely.

On 15/08/2017 at 04:12, leotardmum said:

Iam over in Australia but wonder if a website/list/topic already on here  exists of all summer schools offered in dance in the uk.....

looking at UK summer 2018 for a 11 year old dance crazy girl

So far iam aware of

RBS

Elmhurst

Yorkshire ballet summer school

do others exist which are RAD ballet focused?

any tips wrt numbers applying for these would be very helpful

thanku x

The London Ballet Company Young Dancers Intensive for 2019! - http://www.thelondonballetcompany.com/courses/

Those mentioned above also:-

The RAD do Summer Intensives on Individual Syllabus at vocational level I believe with opportunity to take exam at end most years I believe plus of course Summer Schools in London & in Dartington (Devon?) DD has done RAD week summer schools when much younger 9though not residential)

The Hammond offer a Summer School  - one of them is with either a Classical or a Musical Theatre option but check ages (my DD at this school full time so not done this but heard it's great!)

BTW at Elmhurst Junior Summer School, several Australian girls there the 2 yrs my DD attended....& I think one certainly got offered a full time place whilst there!

ENBS (not sure of age though or if they can offer accommodation though expect they can provide lists of options) Not ever applied due to London accommodation costs

Tring (DD enjoyed Easter course here when aged around 10 plus attended several day courses which were always good)

Danceworks in London (though not residential - friends been & loved it)

Woodside Retreat in Kent

Tutugirl on here!

Some organised soul on here has probably go a wonderful spreadsheet listing them all with application criteria/costs etc...I'd pay good money (or kill :ph34r:!!) for that list :D

Actually, we were discussing major family holiday to Australia one year (both Hubbie & I have lived previous lives in Sydney) so any heads up you can offer Leotardmum on options 'Down Under' (NZ too?) would be great to hear about! I'm guessing most 'Summer Schools' there fall in December/Jan? I'd be interested to know of any options in your or our Summer or even Easter if you have any info you can share!

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peanut68 said:

Some organised soul on here has probably go a wonderful spreadsheet listing them all with application criteria/costs etc...I'd pay good money (or kill :ph34r:!!) for that list :D

Actually, we were discussing major family holiday to Australia one year (both Hubbie & I have lived previous lives in Sydney) so any heads up you can offer Leotardmum on options 'Down Under' (NZ too?) would be great to hear about! I'm guessing most 'Summer Schools' there fall in December/Jan? I'd be interested to know of any options in your or our Summer or even Easter if you have any info you can share!

Thanks in advance!

There are as you guessed a lot of options for Australian summer schools - in January.   For example: Australian Ballet School in Melbourne, Queensland Ballet Academy in Brisbane, International Summer School (ISS) in Sydney,  Bolshoi Ballet in Sydney & Melbourne, International Ballet Workshops (IBW), Claudia Dean Coaching Intensives, NZ Ballet School in Wellington....and the top full-time (private) ballet schools hold summer intensives.  Usually non-residential but have discounts or recommendations for hotels.

Sydney Dance Company (and similar in other cities) have many 2 day workshops covering non-ballet styles of dance

For other holidays the bigger private ballet schools still do non-residential intensives.  These are worth looking at as top teachers and more intimate.  You get a real flavour of what it is like during term-time.  2 examples are Annette Roselli Dance Academy, Brisbane, and Tanya Pearson Academy, Sydney.

https://www.instagram.com/tanya_pearson_academy/

https://www.instagram.com/annetterosellidanceacademy/

https://www.facebook.com/TanyaPearsonClassicalCoaching/

https://www.facebook.com/ARDAcademy/

Edited by DD Driver
word change

Wow - thank you DD Driver for this info! Guess it should be a possibility IF we can get funds together (& tie in with a business trip :)) to get classes sorted for DD (& maybe even one or two adult workshops for me too?)

I lived in Sydney for a year & too'd & fro'd for 4, back in the 90's....had some wonderful times & I'd so love to share places I love with my family!

6 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Wow - thank you DD Driver for this info! Guess it should be a possibility IF we can get funds together (& tie in with a business trip :)) to get classes sorted for DD (& maybe even one or two adult workshops for me too?)

I lived in Sydney for a year & too'd & fro'd for 4, back in the 90's....had some wonderful times & I'd so love to share places I love with my family!

Treat yourself!

Sydney Dance Company would be a good place to start for adult ballet.  There is an Open Class Timetable and Short Courses.

https://www.sydneydancecompany.com/

That sounds amazing! I just cannot believe that I didn't dance for 20 years of my life...left voc school with self esteem rock bottom (it breaks my heart to see such similar stories on here where some of our young people get similarly damaged even today) to never set foot in a ballet class again until almost 40! & it's taken me to reach 50 to finally have the guts to finally just go for it (yep - I even took an RAD Voc exam recently!) & do what I want (as long as it fits with funds & family of course....)

Got a lot of wasted time to make up for!

• Like 4

love this thread! so much info ....

yes i need to feedback info on summer schools etc over here in oz!

firstly my daughter had the most amazing time at RBS white lodge spring school...desperate to now attend full time /return next yr .... it was everything she had dreamed and hoped for !

we live in brisbane now  and oh my the dance world here is very well developed and set up  especially for competitions... i counted 25 competitions/eisteddfods just  this year  that kids can do with solos etc  just within a 2 hour radius of Brisbane...imagine this in UK !!!!!! this isnt including the group eisteddfods that the dance schools do aswell...... oh and the state/private schools also run dance programs and enter competitions also ..... 

that is for another thread iam sure....we are in our 2nd year of solo competition now ......

plus we have JMA RAD awards for brisbane region yearly .... Alana Haines in NZ ..... Asian Grand Prix ....... the list is endless it seems ..... 

compared to my ballet background that was strict RAD back in the 70-80s in northern england this is totally different for me as a mum!

ok holiday schools and summer schools..... info i have gleamed so far ( iam in Brisbane and i may be missing stuff due to location/age of my child etc so apologies list may miss some ) 

Australian ballet school  melbourne - non selective -just pay and go  it seems in summer and i think  most school holidays

IBW international ballet workshops- non selective -pay and go in the big cites in summer and winter breaks approx 5 day courses- seem to fill up very fast 

Claudia Dean runs courses - non selective -pay and go- seem to fill up quickly

Bolshoi Australia Summer Intensive in melbourne and sydney - selective via live audition or video submission only 

Queensland Ballet - summer schools-  selective via application forms/photo 

Local schools run own summer schools courses of course  and each city will prob have other stuff going on aswell .....

another thing going on here is youth ballet and contemporary  groups that you audition for and do a yearly performance  ...in brisbane alone we have Brisbane City Youth Ballet, Ballet Theatre Qld, i think now 4 contemporary groups are going now in the city ...... dance is just huge over here

compared to my dancing days  its crazy over here at times with what is available !!! xxxxxxx

• Like 3

• 5 months later...