leotardmum

UK ballet summer schools for 2018

1 hour ago, Fifi said:

My DD has received a No email saying she hasn’t been offered a place for Elmhurst Senior Summer School, but she applied for Junior Summer School (she’s 11). Is it worth calling them to check or shall I put it down to bad admin and assume they mean a No for Juniors? 🤔

I would ring them.  Personally I think it is incredibly poor that they are sending out the wrong information to students.  I would bring them to task over it.  It’s clearly not an isolated incident.  

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Harwel said:

I would ring them.  Personally I think it is incredibly poor that they are sending out the wrong information to students.  I would bring them to task over it.  It’s clearly not an isolated incident.  

Agree wholeheartedly.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tu2 said:

A yes for my DD for Elmhurst Junior summer school. So nice after a no to year 8 finals 😀

She deserves it , she works hard , she will have a blast x 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

...... It was a no :( the lady on the phone said "well, if it makes you feel better we'll put her on the waiting list but don't hold out much hope."

I don't expect to get in but ballet really is cruel sometimes. I've had 4 Nos and no Yeses yet this year 😓 Beginning to think that however hard I work and how much I love it I will never be successful. But at least I have Associates and my EYB audition this weekend . Thanks everyone. I am going to book a week at OPES and try to find another nice and small but good quality SS.

Oh no - that is awful - they should've been a lot more gracious!

Well done for staying positive!

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Skintdancemum said:

Has anyone else not received an email from elmhurst junior SS , or is it just me again , I always have problems receiving their emails . 

Email had gone astray again . Roll on summer school ! Did very happy 😊 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fifi said:

My DD has received a No email saying she hasn’t been offered a place for Elmhurst Senior Summer School, but she applied for Junior Summer School (she’s 11). Is it worth calling them to check or shall I put it down to bad admin and assume they mean a No for Juniors? 🤔

Did you manage to sort it all out ? Hope she got a place ! 

On 13/04/2018 at 16:04, Skintdancemum said:

Did you manage to sort it all out ? Hope she got a place ! 

Unfortunately not:-( They said they had sent out the incorrect rejection letter by mistake.

Congratulations to everyone who was successful! 

On 12/04/2018 at 16:06, ArucariaBallerina said:

...... It was a no :( the lady on the phone said "well, if it makes you feel better we'll put her on the waiting list but don't hold out much hope."

I don't expect to get in but ballet really is cruel sometimes. I've had 4 Nos and no Yeses yet this year 😓 Beginning to think that however hard I work and how much I love it I will never be successful. But at least I have Associates and my EYB audition this weekend . Thanks everyone. I am going to book a week at OPES and try to find another nice and small but good quality SS.

That is absolutely appalling. I would put in a strong complaint. 

• Like 3

On 14/04/2018 at 23:04, Fifi said:

Unfortunately not:-( They said they had sent out the incorrect rejection letter by mistake.

Congratulations to everyone who was successful! 

Sorry to hear that fifi. I have seen on here people saying they have been offered places further down the line even after a no . So you never know x 

• Like 1

Just wondered if anyone knew of any summer schools still open to applicants who also offer scholarships. 

Edited by Twoballerinas0004
Mistake

Well.... Out of the blue.... Elmhurst emailed offering a residential place off the waiting list!!!  I don't know whether to laugh or cry! But I very quickly said yes! 

Thanks all. 2018 has honestly been the best year of my life! 

• Like 18

Wow....many congratulations, Arucaria!!  I hope it is a wonderful experience for you.  Please let us know how you get on!  :)

7 hours ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

Well.... Out of the blue.... Elmhurst emailed offering a residential place off the waiting list!!!  I don't know whether to laugh or cry! But I very quickly said yes! 

Thanks all. 2018 has honestly been the best year of my life! 

congratulations  my Dear ! 

On 12/04/2018 at 08:52, ImgyA said:

Hi, I'm new here. My DD did Elmhurst SS last year (loved it, but teacher made sure we applied to different places this year to get experience of other schools) and has got a place on the ENB SS week B this year. Just wondering, because I can't work it out from the contradictory wording on their website and offer letter, do all applicants for ENB get offered a place or is this actually a big deal to be offered? Thanks in advance x

Just a quick update on this. As I mentioned previously DD1 has a place for Course B Week One and DD2 has been on the waiting list and receiving quite regular communications about this. We have just received a final communication saying that the courses remain full and that while some people have withdrawn from the waitlist there are still 66 dancers on it! 

Hello lovely ballet mums!

I have not been in here for ages and summer school is fully booked. 

But I do have spaces on my Back to Ballet course at the end of August.

Remember all ballet boost courses are aimed at a high vocational level but I always make everyone feel welcome and There is very much a strong mentoring approach so it becomes more than just another course. I remain a point of contact for support and guidance in this tricky world. 

My courses are supported by RBS as I know their forms get signed off by the school.

Wherever your children are I hope they have fabulous experiences xx

Hi All,

If you're in the Manchester area, you should definitely check out Centre Pointe. They have two summer schools:

• Junior summer school (Pre-primary, Primary and Grade 1) £150
  • Summer school (Grade 1 - advanced level) £190
    • Ballet
    • Contemporary
    • Musical Theatre

Both are 20th - 24th August.

Their facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/Centre-Pointe-Dance-School-Vocational-College-Manchester-465252896857645/

Tel: 0161 337 0300

Contact them for more info. My DD absolutely loves this school.

All the best,

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, richieN said:

Hi All,

If you're in the Manchester area, you should definitely check out Centre Pointe. They have two summer schools:

• Junior summer school (Pre-primary, Primary and Grade 1) £150
  • Summer school (Grade 1 - advanced level) £190
    • Ballet
    • Contemporary
    • Musical Theatre

Both are 20th - 24th August.

Their facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/Centre-Pointe-Dance-School-Vocational-College-Manchester-465252896857645/

Tel: 0161 337 0300

Contact them for more info. My DD absolutely loves this school.

All the best,

Just to second what RichieN - my dd did the Centre Pointe SS last year and absolutely loved it! 

Would very highly recommend X

• Like 1

Hello all,

For those who may still be looking for ballet summer schools in the UK, may I briefly tell you about our Danceworks Ballet Academy, which is holding its 4th International Ballet Summer School Intensive this 23rd of July. This unique two-week programme is for young dancers aged 6 and over, up to pre-professional level. Classes are taught by internationally renowned dancers from leading ballet companies - guest teachers this year include worldwide inspirational ballet star Michaela DePrince and former Royal Ballet Principal Ivan Putrov.

The course includes a dedicated technique class, performance classes, pointe work, boy's/men's ballet, and classes on pirouettes, petit and grand allegro. On the final day, our young dancers will perform at the Lilian Baylis Theatre.

The school is in Mayfair, London and a limited number of scholarship places are available. Check out a quick video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=162&v=wCLNAURtew8

Our programme is founded on the belief that the arts have power to motivate and engage your DD or DS to achieve excellence. We will seek to develop their talent towards the highest level of classical ballet. For more information and how to apply, click here.

I will endeavour to answer any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Danceworks

• Like 1

So DD1 really enjoyed her week at ENBS summer school last week and its international ethos. We really enjoyed watching three classes on Friday too.

For anyone interested in auditioning for next year there have been a few changes as follows:

Entry is by audition (either live or video)

There is no longer a one week option. Students are recommended to attend for four weeks but there is also an option to attend for two weeks (any two of the four). 

The Repertoire performance at the end is only for those students who have attended for all four weeks.

There are also one week courses running in Autumn and Spring (application by photograph and form).

41 minutes ago, MAK said:

So DD1 really enjoyed her week at ENBS summer school last week and its international ethos. We really enjoyed watching three classes on Friday too.

For anyone interested in auditioning for next year there have been a few changes as follows:

Entry is by audition (either live or video)

There is no longer a one week option. Students are recommended to attend for four weeks but there is also an option to attend for two weeks (any two of the four). 

The Repertoire performance at the end is only for those students who have attended for all four weeks.

There are also one week courses running in Autumn and Spring (application by photograph and form).

Is it a residential programme? I’ve just had a look on the website but it’s not very clear xx

I believe they can assist in finding accommodation but it's not like some of the "properly" residential courses where you can stay on site.

31 minutes ago, Bellaballerina's mum said:

Is it a residential programme? I’ve just had a look on the website but it’s not very clear xx

ENBS has never been residential. We were lucky in that we could commute in every day when my dd attended. 4 weeks staying in London could get very expensive and I am sure it will deter some applicants. A shame because its a fabulous ss.