• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

Well.... Out of the blue.... Elmhurst emailed offering a residential place off the waiting list!!!  I don't know whether to laugh or cry! But I very quickly said yes! 

Thanks all. 2018 has honestly been the best year of my life! 

congratulations  my Dear ! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/04/2018 at 08:52, ImgyA said:

Hi, I'm new here. My DD did Elmhurst SS last year (loved it, but teacher made sure we applied to different places this year to get experience of other schools) and has got a place on the ENB SS week B this year. Just wondering, because I can't work it out from the contradictory wording on their website and offer letter, do all applicants for ENB get offered a place or is this actually a big deal to be offered? Thanks in advance x

Just a quick update on this. As I mentioned previously DD1 has a place for Course B Week One and DD2 has been on the waiting list and receiving quite regular communications about this. We have just received a final communication saying that the courses remain full and that while some people have withdrawn from the waitlist there are still 66 dancers on it! 

Hello lovely ballet mums!

I have not been in here for ages and summer school is fully booked. 

But I do have spaces on my Back to Ballet course at the end of August.

Remember all ballet boost courses are aimed at a high vocational level but I always make everyone feel welcome and There is very much a strong mentoring approach so it becomes more than just another course. I remain a point of contact for support and guidance in this tricky world. 

My courses are supported by RBS as I know their forms get signed off by the school.

Wherever your children are I hope they have fabulous experiences xx

Hi All,

If you're in the Manchester area, you should definitely check out Centre Pointe. They have two summer schools:

• Junior summer school (Pre-primary, Primary and Grade 1) £150
  • Summer school (Grade 1 - advanced level) £190
    • Ballet
    • Contemporary
    • Musical Theatre

Both are 20th - 24th August.

Their facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/Centre-Pointe-Dance-School-Vocational-College-Manchester-465252896857645/

Tel: 0161 337 0300

Contact them for more info. My DD absolutely loves this school.

All the best,

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, richieN said:

Hi All,

If you're in the Manchester area, you should definitely check out Centre Pointe. They have two summer schools:

• Junior summer school (Pre-primary, Primary and Grade 1) £150
  • Summer school (Grade 1 - advanced level) £190
    • Ballet
    • Contemporary
    • Musical Theatre

Both are 20th - 24th August.

Their facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/Centre-Pointe-Dance-School-Vocational-College-Manchester-465252896857645/

Tel: 0161 337 0300

Contact them for more info. My DD absolutely loves this school.

All the best,

Just to second what RichieN - my dd did the Centre Pointe SS last year and absolutely loved it! 

Would very highly recommend X

• Like 1

Hello all,

For those who may still be looking for ballet summer schools in the UK, may I briefly tell you about our Danceworks Ballet Academy, which is holding its 4th International Ballet Summer School Intensive this 23rd of July. This unique two-week programme is for young dancers aged 6 and over, up to pre-professional level. Classes are taught by internationally renowned dancers from leading ballet companies - guest teachers this year include worldwide inspirational ballet star Michaela DePrince and former Royal Ballet Principal Ivan Putrov.

The course includes a dedicated technique class, performance classes, pointe work, boy's/men's ballet, and classes on pirouettes, petit and grand allegro. On the final day, our young dancers will perform at the Lilian Baylis Theatre.

The school is in Mayfair, London and a limited number of scholarship places are available. Check out a quick video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=162&v=wCLNAURtew8

Our programme is founded on the belief that the arts have power to motivate and engage your DD or DS to achieve excellence. We will seek to develop their talent towards the highest level of classical ballet. For more information and how to apply, click here.

I will endeavour to answer any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Danceworks

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So DD1 really enjoyed her week at ENBS summer school last week and its international ethos. We really enjoyed watching three classes on Friday too.

For anyone interested in auditioning for next year there have been a few changes as follows:

Entry is by audition (either live or video)

There is no longer a one week option. Students are recommended to attend for four weeks but there is also an option to attend for two weeks (any two of the four). 

The Repertoire performance at the end is only for those students who have attended for all four weeks.

There are also one week courses running in Autumn and Spring (application by photograph and form).

41 minutes ago, MAK said:

So DD1 really enjoyed her week at ENBS summer school last week and its international ethos. We really enjoyed watching three classes on Friday too.

For anyone interested in auditioning for next year there have been a few changes as follows:

Entry is by audition (either live or video)

There is no longer a one week option. Students are recommended to attend for four weeks but there is also an option to attend for two weeks (any two of the four). 

The Repertoire performance at the end is only for those students who have attended for all four weeks.

There are also one week courses running in Autumn and Spring (application by photograph and form).

Is it a residential programme? I’ve just had a look on the website but it’s not very clear xx

31 minutes ago, Bellaballerina's mum said:

Is it a residential programme? I’ve just had a look on the website but it’s not very clear xx

ENBS has never been residential. We were lucky in that we could commute in every day when my dd attended. 4 weeks staying in London could get very expensive and I am sure it will deter some applicants. A shame because its a fabulous ss.

20 minutes ago, Mnemo said:

ENBS has never been residential. We were lucky in that we could commute in every day when my dd attended. 4 weeks staying in London could get very expensive and I am sure it will deter some applicants. A shame because its a fabulous ss.

Very true. The two week option is still available so may well be favoured by many for that reason. We got the impression that most of the dancers who had travelled (the majority in attendance) were doing two weeks this year. Dh did remark along the lines of: "just imagine how much dd would improve if she did a whole four consecutive weeks there" which I could not disagree with (although in practise I can't really see it happening for a number of reasons). The tuition we observed was exceptional.

1 hour ago, MAK said:

I believe they can assist in finding accommodation but it's not like some of the "properly" residential courses where you can stay on site.

We were provided a list of hotels and b&b’s  in the area. However, as all of the hotels wouldn’t take under 16’s without an adult we sourced a private flat to rent through TripAdvisor. Both options still work out costly if staying within walking distance of the school. Such a shame as even when they move they will still remain non-residential. Not many parents can commit to 2 or even 4 weeks during the summer to chaperone their DC. 

Dd did 2 weeks at the RCS summer school this year and loved it. Small classes, lovely facilities. She stayed in the Liberty Living accommodation, which worked well (you have to be 16+). 

Thinking ahead for next year - does anyone have any experience of more contemporary summer schools, especially abroad (NDT or similar)?

6 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

National Dance Company Wales have an excellent summer school. Entry is by audition. Dd went twice and stayed in Liberty Living in Cardiff.

The only thing I can find on their website is only for dancers who live or were born in Wales :(  It’s a shame because it does look very good. 

http://ndcwales.co.uk/national-youth-dance-wales

12 hours ago, BlueLou said:

Dd did 2 weeks at the RCS summer school this year and loved it. Small classes, lovely facilities. She stayed in the Liberty Living accommodation, which worked well (you have to be 16+). 

Thinking ahead for next year - does anyone have any experience of more contemporary summer schools, especially abroad (NDT or similar)?

Rambert Senior Summer School is 50:50 Ballet and contemporary and aimed at 15-19 year olds. It attracts many vocational students from all over Europe and beyond. Again not residential but the school can put you in touch with 'Home stay' families. I spoke to some parents whose children had stayed with local families under this scheme and they had nothing but praise for the service.

17 hours ago, MAK said:

How on earth can that work, logistically? I can understand if they offered "first two weeks" or "last two weeks", but surely one can't pick weeks 2&3 (or indeed, two non-consecutive weeks) as they would end up with the wrong number of students...

14 hours ago, balletbean said:

We were provided a list of hotels and b&b’s  in the area. However, as all of the hotels wouldn’t take under 16’s without an adult we sourced a private flat to rent through TripAdvisor. Both options still work out costly if staying within walking distance of the school. Such a shame as even when they move they will still remain non-residential. Not many parents can commit to 2 or even 4 weeks during the summer to chaperone their DC. 

You are right. The expense and the commitment of time is a very big deal, especially for families where there are other children. I also got the impression that only students doing the entire 4 weeks were eligible to take part in the work sharing - so a bit tough to give up 2 weeks and not to actually see anything of your dc's work. The other unfortunate aspect of doing 4 weeks, is that it can rule out experiencing other summer schools. In the past many aspiring US candidates have used the ss experience not only to improve their technique but to experience a taste of life at a school they are considering applying to (we certainly did ).

2 hours ago, BlueLou said:

The only thing I can find on their website is only for dancers who live or were born in Wales :(  It’s a shame because it does look very good. 

http://ndcwales.co.uk/national-youth-dance-wales

It must have changed.  When DD did it there were many dancers from their Associate programme but also others from all over UK (and maybe even abroad).  I would second Rambert as a suggestion.  One of my pupils went this year and had a great time.  Laban also run a summer school each year.

17 minutes ago, RuthE said:

How on earth can that work, logistically? I can understand if they offered "first two weeks" or "last two weeks", but surely one can't pick weeks 2&3 (or indeed, two non-consecutive weeks) as they would end up with the wrong number of students...

I'm sure they'll manage numbers though based on preferences expressed during the application process. This year, for the week DD1 attended, there were just over 80 students in total, and another 166 still on the waiting list at the time they closed it shortly before the course. 

It's obviously a new process for next year and they must have their reasons for introducing it but I can certainly see how it won't work for everyone.

DD1 would love to go again but she hasn't tried any of the other options yet so we'll have to see.

3 hours ago, Mnemo said:

Rambert Senior Summer School is 50:50 Ballet and contemporary and aimed at 15-19 year olds. It attracts many vocational students from all over Europe and beyond. Again not residential but the school can put you in touch with 'Home stay' families. I spoke to some parents whose children had stayed with local families under this scheme and they had nothing but praise for the service.

3 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

I would second Rambert as a suggestion.  One of my pupils went this year and had a great time.  Laban also run a summer school each year.

Dd is starting at Rambert full time this September, so was looking for something to complement that. Also heard lots of good stuff about the home stay, so that’s what dd is doing full time from September :) . Her current ‘dream job’ would be NDT, so we are considering their SS.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mnemo said:

You are right. The expense and the commitment of time is a very big deal, especially for families where there are other children. I also got the impression that only students doing the entire 4 weeks were eligible to take part in the work sharing - so a bit tough to give up 2 weeks and not to actually see anything of your dc's work. The other unfortunate aspect of doing 4 weeks, is that it can rule out experiencing other summer schools. In the past many aspiring US candidates have used the ss experience not only to improve their technique but to experience a taste of life at a school they are considering applying to (we certainly did ).

Ditto here. DD completed two weeks last year at ENBS SS. I was invited to both reviews on the Fridays. The experience certainly helped my DD when it came to the audition season. 

4 hours ago, BlueLou said:

Dd is starting at Rambert full time this September, so was looking for something to complement that. Also heard lots of good stuff about the home stay, so that’s what dd is doing full time from September :) . Her current ‘dream job’ would be NDT, so we are considering their SS.

Congratulations to you BlueLou and to your dd. Rambert is a fabulous school I hope she has a terrific time there.

slightly off topic ... but i didn't know where else to ask! 

DD is off to Tring on Sunday for the musical theatre summer school, and as we've got a long drive, i'm planning on heading off early and stopping for lunch and then maybe having a walk /afternoon tea/cup of coffee before dropping her off at 5pm. Any suggestions for places to go to eat/walk/visit? 

Thanks x

Wasdesdon Manor is not far - a National Trust property so free if a member. Or there’s Wendover Woods & the small pretty town which  I’m sure will have many places open. Ivinghoe prettt with a pub on canal I seem to recall....

In Tring itself The Akeman has always been good but pricey & more ‘young professionals’ than family in my experience on a Sunday...!

Edited by Peanut68
Typo