UK ballet summer schools for 2018

leotardmum

21 minutes ago, TBG said:

Dd would like to do OPES this summer but can't find it advertised anywhere at the moment. Does anyone know when they advertise the dates and open applications?

My dd done Opes last year & is keen to do it this year again too. I don't think the applications are open yet as I remember looking not that long ago though I'm sure they won't be long. 

• Like 2

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks ... I too have been looking for OPES dates, as I 'think', going on last year's dates, it might be the only summer school DD can do this year! 

Why they all seem to be the end of July/ early August I don't know! 

Does anyone know of any at the end of August?!

1 hour ago, Aklf said:

Anyone have experience with ENB summer school for the middle group. 12-14yrs? Sounds great but don’t know anyone who has done it before. 

Yup my dd did it a couple of times and really enjoyed it.  We found it was mainly attended by the same people who were doing Elmhurst etc. Only flipside I can think of is lack of catering for the holiday courses - you have to take all your food and drink for the day as nothing is available and under 16's are not allowed out of the building (understandable). Its in a good location if you are staying up in town, I used to take my non d to the Nat Hist, V&A and Science Museums during the day.

3 hours ago, Aklf said:

Anyone have experience with ENB summer school for the middle group. 12-14yrs? Sounds great but don’t know anyone who has done it before. 

Would you DC be at the entry level or top end of this age group?

My DD only turned 15 the week before the SS, I sent a letter with the application form as I was unsure which group she should be in, and what their priority was, age or ability/grade when making their selection?  

They placed her in the 15+ course for the two weeks. 

I agree with mnemo, a few of the older ENBS pupils then appeared at Elmhurst a week later. 

If your dancer loves Contemporary as well as Ballet, the Rambert School senior summer school was wonderful last year.  My daughter loved every minute and the end-of-week showcase was outstanding, with amazing live musicians.  It's non residential and students have to take packed lunch.  Gorgeous facilities in St Margarets. 

• Like 3

On 1/25/2018 at 03:52, Aklf said:

DD turned 15 very shortly after ENB summer and was placed in the lowest level of the 15+ session.  She very much enjoyed the course and thought it well worth attending.  She has applied again for this year.

• Like 1

On 29/01/2018 at 16:08, Ballerina112 said:

When do the results for the elmhurst and English national ballets summer school come out?

10th March last year for ENBS for a place. 

31st March for Elmhurst, initally with a NO but then received an email out of the blue with an offer of a place on the 5th May. Maybe as a result of another applicant declining their offer, I didn't ask. Just said YES, thank you. 

If the results aren't what you had hoped for, don't give up, keep those fingers crossed and toes pointed. You just never know..........:)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, balletbean said:

10th March last year for ENBS for a place. 

31st March for Elmhurst, initally with a NO but then received an email out of the blue with an offer of a place on the 5th May. Maybe as a result of another applicant declining their offer, I didn't ask. Just said YES, thank you. 

If the results aren't what you had hoped for, don't give up, keep those fingers crossed and toes pointed. You just never know..........:)

Thank you, which one did you end up going to?

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

For anyone interested here is the link to York Dance Scholars (formally Yorkshire Ballet Scholarship Centre) summer school which is to be held near York at the beautiful Queen Margaret's School in Escrick. It is VERY child friendly and the pastoral care is second to none......as is the teaching faculty :) Please message any enquiries to the secretary: d.rosemary@btinternet.com 

Auditions for September 2018 entry to York Dance Scholars to be held in York in April. Closing date for entries is Tuesday March 20th. Please email the secretary for audition info: d.rosemary@btinternet.com 

https://www.yorkshireballetscholarshipcentre.com/summer-school/

• Like 1

Hello York Dance Scholars and welcome to the Forum.

In accordance with the Forum's Acceptable Use Policy could I please ask you to add a signature to your profile?

"Members who have commercial interests must indicate that by adding a Signature line to their postings, stating the name and type of their business and giving their website and/or business email address for enquiries. (You set up a Signature via Account Settings in the dropdown menu under your name. On a handheld device you select the three bars icon at top right, then Account Settings, then Signature.)"

• Like 2

On 30/01/2018 at 17:45, Ballerina112 said:

Thank you, which one did you end up going to?

Both!!! 

The experience, skills, knowledge, technique and friends she made was the best yet. Fortunately I secured sponsorship so that helped towards the overall costs but still worked out a very expensive summer. ;)

7 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

The Professional Dance Experience organisation is running a summer course in Leeds between 6th and 10th August:

http://www.professionaldanceexperience.org.uk/summerballetcourseleeds20151/

This is the one we have booked on to after ruling out YBSS on dates that didn't work :( and NYB as she doesn't want to be so far from home. Michael Berkin did a masterclass at my DDs dance school and she loved it and parents got to watch her what they had learnt over the hour and half....very impressed. So away we go there :) Also means she can see if she likes summer schools, and then she can go ahead and have a go at the audition required ones next year. 

Edited by sunrise81
  • Like 1

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 19:53, balletbean said:

Both!!! 

The experience, skills, knowledge, technique and friends she made was the best yet. Fortunately I secured sponsorship so that helped towards the overall costs but still worked out a very expensive summer. ;)

You never wanted to be rich did you? My dd did this (together with her own dance school's summer course) the year she decided that she wanted to apply for full time training. I figured that 3 weeks b2b dancing would either kill or cure her. An expensive but effective way to test the water.

A reminder of our 2 week summer school in West Yorkshire - culminating in a production of Swan Lake in the theatre .

July 30 th - August 11th

small classes

amazing faculty

best value for money - 2 weeks from just £450 

scholarships for boys 

Full details on a previous thread .

regards

tutugirl

Masters of Ballet Summer Intensive at Sadlers Wells has some amazing teachers on the Faculty.  The studios are wonderful and there’s no need to pack a lunch or snacks as the food in the backstage cafe is amazing, with very healthy hot and cold options.

I think there are also spaces left on their Easter Intensive in their Studios in W3.  Nathalia Barbera, 1st Year Women’s  teacher at English National Ballet School will be teaching Senior Ballet:

https://www.mastersofballet.org/

Edited by atacrossroads
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Asking for a friend as DD too young to attend. 

Do you need to audition for Northern Ballet (Manchester) summer school, or is it 'first come first served'? 

Also, does anyone know about the supervision of dancers outside of summer school and if any evening events are planned? 

Thanks x

On 12/02/2018 at 12:30, Mnemo said:

You never wanted to be rich did you? My dd did this (together with her own dance school's summer course) the year she decided that she wanted to apply for full time training. I figured that 3 weeks b2b dancing would either kill or cure her. An expensive but effective way to test the water.

Oh yes. Darling DD also took part in her own schools summer workshop. Couldn’t stop her. Fortunately, now with a full time place in Sept sorted by bank account won’t be hit this year for SS’s but just fulltime instead. Don’t we just love ‘em. 

On 26/02/2018 at 14:25, Pixiewoo said:

Asking for a friend as DD too young to attend. 

Do you need to audition for Northern Ballet (Manchester) summer school, or is it 'first come first served'? 

Also, does anyone know about the supervision of dancers outside of summer school and if any evening events are planned? 

Thanks x

Hi there Pixiewoo.  You don't need to audition for Northern Ballet Manchester summer school.  My 15 year old daughter (then Y10) decided to attend about 2/3 weeks before the start date last year.  I just phoned up and the Staff were very helpful, booked her in and sent me the paperwork.  They stayed at the YMCA nearby which was absolutely fantastic bright clean and modern.  It is about a 20 minute walk to the school and they all walk together with the Chaperone.  My daughter is a fussy eater but breakfast and evening meal was fabulous she said and she tried (and now likes) lots of foods, eg lasagne, sausage and mash, cottage pie etc not just chips.  My daughter shared a room with 3 other girls & they had ensuite facilities & bunk beds.  When we arrived we were greeted by the Chaperone and her daughter who grouped the girls together and then they took their bags to their room.  She was really friendly and more than happy to answer many questions and explained the course of events for the week.

There are lots of activities planned during the evening if they want to attend eg trips to cinema, shopping etc but my daughter & room mates were so tired as it is a full on day,  they were happy to chill out at the YMCA as there is lots of recreational space & bean bags to make themselves comfy.  I packed my daughter with drinks, sweets etc but there are lots of vending machines.  At the end of the Chaperones talk, my DD had got to know her room mates really well and we left her happy and excited.  The staff at the summer school are the normal teaching staff and were very disciplined and professional, so the week really does gives them a taste of what it would be like if they chose this career path.  On the Friday afternoon parents are invited into the Dancehouse (the schools own professional Theatre) to watch a production and showcase the dances choreographed over the week (Chicago/Cats etc) She hadn't done much tap dancing but looked very confident and she actually enjoyed being outside of her comfort zone.   There is a snack bar at the school and she used to have a toastie or sandwich for lunch.  Once again the staff were really lovely knowing that this might be the first time they had been away on their own.  In fact when she 'reluctantly' came home she was extremely fit, healthy and happy.  Her local ballet school staff & principal noticed a real positive change in her dancing and attitude towards dance so much so that last November she auditioned for a place on their 3 Year Trinity Diploma Professional Dance Course (her first ever audition) and was lucky enough to be accepted and starts in September 2018.  

Edited by helbow345
  • Like 5

Dd has done both, twice.

She really enjoyed Moorland and it gave her a bit of a confidence boost after a tough year.  It was a lot smaller than OPES and quite personalised.  She was a bit behind in technique in certain areas but they encouraged her to choreograph a contemporary style solo for example, working to her strengths.  There were a lot of full time Moorland students on the course but she got on very well with them all.

OPES is a lot bigger with more students but the standard of teaching is very high.  Dd liked to do it to help her technique.  She felt that there could occasionally be a bit of favouritism but that was offset by the excellent teaching. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

Dd has done both, twice.

She really enjoyed Moorland and it gave her a bit of a confidence boost after a tough year.  It was a lot smaller than OPES and quite personalised.  She was a bit behind in technique in certain areas but they encouraged her to choreograph a contemporary style solo for example, working to her strengths.  There were a lot of full time Moorland students on the course but she got on very well with them all.

OPES is a lot bigger with more students but the standard of teaching is very high.  Dd liked to do it to help her technique.  She felt that there could occasionally be a bit of favouritism but that was offset by the excellent teaching. 

Really useful feedback - thank you so much! ❤️

My dd did OPES for the first time last year and absolutely loved it. She was 11 and she made so many friends from around the country and abroad, all of whom she has stayed in touch with (the brilliant  side to social media!) She loved every one of the teachers who all gave something different and said they learnt such a lot, which was reflected by the showing of work at the end of the week being exceptional for the short time they had been there. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend xxx 

She also did the Elmhurst summer school and she thought Opes was better in terms of the amount of dancing they did, the social side in the evenings and fun they had in the dorms.   I would agree looking purely at the showing of work, which was better at Opes, but this is of course our experience only.

I hope your dd has a great time wherever she goes, once she does one summer school she’ll be hooked however and want to go every year so think long and hard 🙈🤣! 

• Like 4