UK ballet summer schools for 2018

leotardmum

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Balletmum55 said:

My dd did OPES for the first time last year and absolutely loved it. She was 11 and she made so many friends from around the country and abroad, all of whom she has stayed in touch with (the brilliant  side to social media!) She loved every one of the teachers who all gave something different and said they learnt such a lot, which was reflected by the showing of work at the end of the week being exceptional for the short time they had been there. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend xxx 

She also did the Elmhurst summer school and she thought Opes was better in terms of the amount of dancing they did, the social side in the evenings and fun they had in the dorms.   I would agree looking purely at the showing of work, which was better at Opes, but this is of course our experience only.

I hope your dd has a great time wherever she goes, once she does one summer school she’ll be hooked however and want to go every year so think long and hard 🙈🤣! 

Thank you so much.  Yes - she attended RAD last year and absolutely loved it.  Unfortunately, we missed out on getting a place for her this year as we were waiting for the result from RBS summer school (she was wait-listed). I think we are now committed to attend something every Summer! :) 

• Like 2

Funnily enough one of our emails arrived shortly after I posted (typical) and I'm going to be a live test of the theory that yeses get sent out first since we don't have an email for dd2 yet 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ReadyforCoffee said:

We are patiently waiting for ENB Course A results as well. 

Good luck to everyone and Happy Mother’s Day to all of the hard-working mums here. 

ReadyforCoffee

We had both Course B Week One emails on Friday in the end, exactly four weeks from the submission deadline: a yes for dd1 and waitlist for dd2 so much excitement in our household. Good luck to your dc for Course A, hopefully the wait won't be much longer.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

2 minutes ago, Sugarplummum said:

Hi,

Sorry to gatecrash 🙈

What's the process for applying for opes 2018?

I've completed the form etc but worried about sending it off and paying if there isn'

Oops...

If there isn't any spaces.

I have tried contacting them for the last 2 weeks with no luck 😣

On 11/03/2018 at 07:37, MAK said:

We had both Course B Week One emails on Friday in the end, exactly four weeks from the submission deadline: a yes for dd1 and waitlist for dd2 so much excitement in our household. Good luck to your dc for Course A, hopefully the wait won't be much longer.

My DD attended ENBS last summer in the 15yrs + age group. Can’t remember if that was A or B as we were there for two weeks! If you would like to know anything please ask. I will try my best to answer them for you. 😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sugarplummum said:

Oops...

If there isn't any spaces.

I have tried contacting them for the last 2 weeks with no luck 😣

I also had trouble getting hold of them - no reply to emails or phone calls. We booked Moorland instead. Had a lovely welcoming email back straight away and DD is really looking forward to going.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, balletbean said:

My DD attended ENBS last summer in the 15yrs + age group. Can’t remember if that was A or B as we were there for two weeks! If you would like to know anything please ask. I will try my best to answer them for you. 😉

15+ was Summer Course A.  My DD attended week 1 last year.

• Like 1

On 03/04/2018 at 17:24, Mnemo said:

If previous years are anything to go by, I'd expect to hear something next week.

Hi. Don’t forget Easter and therefore school holidays are earlier this year so it may affect the response dates this year. 🤞🏼  Places were still being offered in May last year. 😉

9 minutes ago, PenguinBoysMum said:

Does anyone know if any summer schools are still accepting applications? Elmhurst states apply by 9th March to secure discount but no mention of any other closing date. DS isn't old enough for Northern Ballet CAT summer school as he's only 11. 

My 11 year old ds will be going to the York Scholars summer school this year. Early bird discount if you book before 1st May.

https://www.yorkshireballetscholarshipcentre.com/summer-school/

19 hours ago, PenguinBoysMum said:

Does anyone know if any summer schools are still accepting applications? Elmhurst states apply by 9th March to secure discount but no mention of any other closing date. DS isn't old enough for Northern Ballet CAT summer school as he's only 11. 

I would phone Elmhurst and ask if they have any places left for the junior school. Same if you are waiting to hear about the senior course. IME they are very friendly and won't mind at all.

Edited by Guest
spelling

There's the Master Dance programme summer school held at Ibstock Place school in London. The principal used to be ballet principal of White Lodge and Elmhurst. Thoroughly recommended it and she gets in fabulous guest teachers from the Royal Ballet. Also highly recommended Woodside Retreat summer course which is residential. My DD absolutely loved the last course she did there. 

• Like 1