Taking children to the ballet

Thinking back to some of the ballets I've taken my grandchildren and others  to, I always tried to write a short story of the ballet for them and find some pictures to go with it.  That makes it much easier for them to follow the story in the same way as the narrator does at the ENB shows.

• Like 2

During the first half of a matinee I went to a couple of years ago (can't remember which ballet, but one that would appeal to children), there was a woman sitting near us with a very small girl, probably about 4-ish. About halfway through Act 1 the little girl started to get a bit fidgety and said very loudly: "MUMMY, WHY AREN'T THEY TALKING?" and carried on asking the same thing over and over throughout the rest of the first half. They didn't return to their seats after the interval, so I suppose the mum decided it was a bit too much for her little one.

The first time I took my son the ROH he was 7 and we saw a matinee of Romeo and Juliet.  We sat in the stalls and he was amazed by the theatre, kept exclaiming about how beautiful it was, the lights, the red seats.  Before it started I walked him down to the orchestra pit to show him the instruments and explain that the musicians sat there.  When we went back to our seat I had plenty of people looking at me very disapprovingly, I clearly had a very busy, excitable, curious boy on my hands.  

I remember feeling quite cross by the incredibly stuffy people around and was really hoping it wouldn't be noticed by my son.  Anyway my son sat as quiet as a mouse all through, completely transfixed by what was unfolding on stage in front of him.  The interval was taken up with a tour around the auditorium, another trip to the orchestra pit and a chocolate ice cream. The disapproving looks of the other patrons had been replaced by  smiles, congratulations on good behaviour and wanting to know if son was going to a dancer one day.  Again, I remember feeling shocked at the response, couldn't quite believe people would think I would bring a child to the ROH, pay stalls seat prices and not know he would be well behaved.  

I guesss the point I am trying to make is, know your child.  If they are interested in ballet generally and can sit still through things they are interested in then the ROH is an amazing experience.  My son still remembers that day as a very special one (17 now) and I am so glad we shared it together, it added to my appreciation to see it through the eyes of a child. My other son who is 14 has never been to the ROH, he has watched ballet but still finds it hard to sit still through a whole performance, he'll just about watch his brother dance but then ask when will it be over. Horses for courses. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Harwel said:

Again, I remember feeling shocked at the response, couldn't quite believe people would think I would bring a child to the ROH, pay stalls seat prices and not know he would be well behaved. 

YOU might not, and I wouldn't either, but believe me, there are plenty who do...

• Like 2

The 2 1/2 year old sister of the 11 year old granddaughter had her first show outing recently at C.....'s end of year performance. She was quiet and engrossed especially when C..... was on stage. As C....'s number finished, the lights went down (children disappeared into the wings), lights came up waiting for the next number  and little sister in a very loud voice said 'WHERE'S C.... GONE' of course bringing the house down. A bit more training required before we venture to a proper theatre :)

Edited by GailR
finger trouble
  • Like 3

My first ballet was the full length Swan Lake, performed by the Sadlers Wells RB, in our local theatre.   I was 5 at the time.  I remember my parents telling me that I was absolutely entranced for the whole performance.  It certainly triggered a lifelong love of classical ballet.  My parents liked classical music, and often played the Tchaikovsky ballets, so I was already familiar with it.  This definitely helped, I remember.  If I was taking a small child, I would pick something with gorgeous music.

I've sat behind small children several times at the ROH, and they have always been well behaved and quiet.  Much better behaved than many of the adults I've had to endure over the years. 

• Like 3