Press Release: Marguerite Porter stepping down from Yorkshire Ballet Summer School

Jan McNulty

- PRESS RELEASE - 

10 August 2017
YORKSHIRE BALLET SUMMER SCHOOL SEARCH FOR A NEW DIRECTOR, AS MARGUERITE PORTER MBE STEPS DOWN

Yorkshire Ballet Summer School, the UK’s leading independent ballet summer school, announced today that Dr Marguerite Porter MBE had chosen to step down as Director of YBSS at the end of the year.   YBSS, based in York and having now completed its 44th year, focuses on excellence in dance teaching by attracting a teaching faculty of the highest calibre to provide the best possible experience to its students. Under Marguerite’s guidance YBSS has been an essential feature of young dancers’ training.

YBSS will now begin the search for a new director to take over YBSS for the 2018 summer school, to build on Marguerite’s marvellous legacy and to meet the challenges of an evolving world of ballet summer schools.  Marguerite has agreed to remain in an advisory capacity to help with this transition.

Marguerite Porter commented: “It is with great sadness that I reluctantly step down as Director of Yorkshire Ballet Summer School. I have been involved with the school for over 30 years, first as a performer, then as a teacher, and finally as Director.  It has been a privilege to be part of this unique and special school, and it has given me inordinate pleasure to witness the success of many of our gifted and talented students.  To watch all of our students grow in confidence and follow their life’s dream to become fully fledged dancers is a gift, and I shall treasure it.  I want to offer my heartfelt thanks to YBSS’ loyal supporters. I know they will continue to support YBSS under its new director.  I would also like to thank the many extraordinary teachers who have given their time, experience and wisdom.”

Charles Glanville, YBSS board chairman, said: “Thanks to Marguerite Porter, YBSS is a unique summer school, providing dance training of a special character to all its students. Marguerite’s passion for dance and her eye for talent, in students and teachers, will be sorely missed.  YBSS will now focus on finding in its new director a dancer and dance teacher with the enthusiasm, skill and vision to take YBSS forward for the future.”

The YBSS board has begun the search for a new director, focusing on dancers and former dancers with a passion for ballet, with skill and experience teaching dance to young people, and with strong contacts in the UK and world dance scene to attract and retain the best teachers and on a strategic vision to renew and revise the school’s form to reflect the changing shape of dance summer school training and encourage and grow YBSS’ donor base.  YBSS encourages everyone interested in applying for the position as YBSS’ new director to contact YBSS at info@ybss.co.uk to request an application form and further information.

Yours Sincerely

The Trustees of Yorkshire Ballet Summer School

What a wonderful lady - she will be missed and an incredibly tough act to follow. I'm sure that many of us On this forum will wish her well and thank her for the passion she has put into YBSS - grateful that my DD benefited from this fabulous summer school and from Marguarite's  teaching.