Still Problems!!

Who knows: different bits of the internet and bits of software trying to be clever. Trying to work it out just leads to madness. I'd counsel waiting another 24 hours or so before investing any significant time in it. Yesterday my phone worked and my computer didn't. 

Edited by Colman

I think the secret when bookmarking at the moment is to store an open forum page ...eg Doing Dance or Even a Ballet Links page(with reviews on) 

It will open from a chat room as such but not if I just put the www.balletcoforum address in ....then just goes to that 123 Squish Ball page!

It does seem to be a homepage issue to me .....though I probably have the least IT technical knowledge of anybody but have just seen you can't get to the site at the moment from the URL address .....so still doesn't work from my address book!!

I guess the last thing to do every night is go into any Forum chat room and then it will still be there in the history etc the next morning so that's a  really quick way in without resorting to Google and finding a chat room title there or going through Bookmark Favourites!!

Are we talking Safari on desktop or iPad/iPhone?

I too use Safari on a Mac and apart from a couple of hours yesterday when the Bco address was stuck on 123Reg (via whom we lease the Bco domain name) I've had no trouble getting onto the forum. Have you tried emptying caches in Safari? On a computer you need to enable the Deveiop menu by going to Safari preferences, Advanced tab, then selecting Show Develop menu in menu bar. That menu has an Empty caches option.

Still don't understand where your list resides. Do you not use Safari bookmarks? I have a little row of Favourites across the top of the browser window – very convenient.

• Like 1

I'm definitely on an IPad 

I have been storing Balletcoforum in my address book under B 

i only have the URL address there of course but it's just the usual place where you keep people's addresses phone numbers and email etc etc.

Its been very quick accessing the Forum this way up till now as just had to open contacts go straight to B etc so with just two clicks was open.

Currently if I go to this URL from there it still is going to the 123 REG page.

But if have recently been on the Forum I can see it along the top under the address bar so is quick to get to from there but if haven't then need to access from my bookmark favourites where I stored it yesterday from the Doing Dance page...that works okay 

I did try retyping in the URL into my address book but it still takes me to the REG site.

I also tried turning off the iPad completely for five minutes but it made no difference. 

Perhaps I should turn itoff overnight!! 

Well this is interesting... the problem seems to be specific to my home broadband now. I've been accessing the site via my phone this evening without a hitch until I arrived home, at which point I got the 123 page. I cleared the cache to no avail, but as soon as I tried switching to 4G I got straight back onto the site.

For what it's worth I just tried re-starting my router and that didn't help. Anyone have any ideas? I'm fresh out of them.

Edited by Lizbie1

Well I've just been into settings and found safari and there it was ....."clear history and website data" 

But am a little afraid to touch this tab at mo .....as what will it do...will it cause problems for other websites I use if I clear it? 

Think I will deal with this one tomorrow now time to go to bed I think!!

As an experiment I installed a different, new, browser and got the same 123 page.  It looks like I and others are victims of ISP caching and we're pretty much stuck with it until our ISPs decide to empty their caches :(

Delving a bit deeper into it, the site DNS record might have quite a long TTL value set to it, which could explain why some of us continue to have problems - perhaps that's something to be reconsidered.

No change here on the 123 business, so that's 48 hours more or less now and it's increasingly clear that the problem lies upstream of us users.  I was unaware of 'ISP caching' until Lizbie's post, above, and have had a quick Google on the topic.  I don't pretend to any depth of IT infrastructure knowledge, but some of what I've seen suggests that such caching is generally short-term, measured in hours rather than days, and if that's what's going on here then the limits are being severely pushed.

I still cannot access the site from the URL address but have found a two touch way in so not too much of a problem!!

i will however take the iPad into the Apple shop in Brighton where the staff are exceedingly helpful and see if they can change anything as I am reluctant to go into a process like " clear history and website data" without knowing a bit more clearly exactly what will happen if I do!!