Press Release: Birmingham Royal Ballet holds open auditions for young dancers to appear in The Nutcracker at the Royal Albert Hall

Jan McNulty

Birmingham Royal Ballet holds open auditions for young dancers to appear in The Nutcracker at the Royal Albert Hall

Does your child dream of being a ballet dancer, performing for thousands of people on the world’s most famous stage? This Christmas, Birmingham Royal Ballet could make this dream a reality. The ballet company are on the hunt for young boys and girls to appear in its enchanting new production of The Nutcracker, which is being performed for the first-time ever at the prestigious Royal Albert Hall in December 2017.

This brand new version of Birmingham Royal Ballet’s The Nutcracker, with its classic story, glorious dancing and ravishing Tchaikovsky score played by a full symphony orchestra, has been created especially for the Royal Albert Hall. State-of-the-art technology, ground-breaking projections and 75kg of artificial snow combine to conjure a vivid and magical winter wonderland.

Birmingham Royal Ballet is holding open auditions on Sunday 1 October at Urdang Academy. The Company is looking for sixteen children (eight boys and eight girls) to cast in The Nutcracker at the Royal Albert Hall, 28-31 December. There will be two teams of children, each performing in up to four performances.

In order to take part in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, children must be in school years 5, 6 or 7 (from September 2017). The maximum height for participants is 142cm (4ft 6”). Birmingham Royal Ballet is looking for boys and girls who enjoy dancing, have good musicality and love to perform. Previous ballet experience is an advantage, but not necessary.

The open auditions for The Nutcracker will include a dance and acting workshop delivered by a senior member of Birmingham Royal Ballet, as well as the chance to learn some of the steps performed in the ballet.

For further information, or to apply for an audition, please visit brb.org.uk.

Notes to Editors

AUDITION INFO
Audition date: Sunday 1 October
Venue: Urdang Academy, The Old Finsbury Town Hall, Rosebery Avenue, London, EC1 4RP
Times will be confirmed nearer the audition day, once applications have been received.
Link to applications: https://www.brb.org.uk/post/audition-notice-children-wanted-for-the-nutcracker-at-the-royal-albert-hall

LISTINGS INFO
The Nutcracker at the Royal Albert Hall
Kensington Gore, London, SW7 2AP
Thursday 28 December, 7pm    
Friday 29 December, 2pm and 7pm        
Saturday 30 December, 2pm and 7pm
Sunday 31 December, 1pm and 5pm
Tickets: £35-£85
www.royalalberthall.com / 020 7589 8212

NOTES FOR EDITORS

ROYAL ALBERT HALL
The Royal Albert Hall is the world’s most famous stage. Over the past 146 years, it has hosted everyone from Winston Churchill, Albert Einstein and Edward Elgar to The Beatles, Bob Dylan and Adele. Last year, its breath-taking auditorium presented 390 events by the world’s greatest performers – taking in rock, pop and classical music, dance, films, Cirque du Soleil and even tennis – with the magical setting and inspired artists creating amazing memories for audiences.

Opened in 1871 to fulfil Prince Albert’s vision of a central hall to promote the arts and sciences, the Hall is a registered charity that remains true to his founding ambitions within a modern context. It hosts over 800 events a year in its secondary space, the Elgar Room, and beyond, broadening the Hall’s appeal to incorporate younger and more diverse audiences.

Its Education & Outreach programme reaches more than 195,000 participants each year, working with schools, young people and the community, as well as other charities such as Music for Youth, as part of its extensive public benefit remit.

BIRMINGHAM ROYAL BALLET
Based at Birmingham Hippodrome since 1990, Birmingham Royal Ballet is the United Kingdom’s leading classical ballet touring company performing a range of traditional, classical and heritage ballets as well as ground-breaking new works with the aim of encouraging choreographers of the future.

The company’s Director is the award-winning David Bintley, CBE and Chief Executive is Jan Teo. Birmingham Royal Ballet performs at Birmingham Hippodrome for approximately ten weeks of the year and the remainder of the year tours throughout the United Kingdom and overseas.  

Thank you, this looks exciting! DD wants to sign up. (she is only just short enough!)

I wonder why they are doing open auditions this way and not using Elmhurst students?

Is it something they've done before? Just curious.

I imagine the response will be HUGE...

Normally they take 4 boys and 4 girls from Elmhurst associates, and 4 boys and 4 girls from royal ballet associates, to make up 2 teams for their Birmingham  production. They get auditioned on their first day back in September as associates. 

This is the first time BRB have performed Nutcracker at RAH i understand so I presume they want more local children to that theatre. They'll continue to take the children from the normal route I presume for the longer Birmingham run of the nutcracker, but this will be a separate opportunity. 

My dd was lucky enough to be a party child in the Nutcracker with BRB last year when she was a JA (and is on the photo ☺️) and it was the best experience of her young life. (Lots of travelling for all the performances and LOTS of rehearsals tho,, and for the Birmingham one you had to commit to every single one or couldn't take part) - exhausting as we don't live in birmingham, but in hindsight it was totally worth sitting on the m6 every night xxx 

• Like 1

Yes I guess it might be a bit of a trek for some Elmhurst JAs!

And I guess London-based RBS JAs will be busy with the RB Nutcracker?

The BRB isn't asking for any specific ballet experience, so I guess it'll all be fairly basic which is why they're opening it out...

It's a shame the auditions won't be held in Birmingham. Edit to say I thought the performances would be in Birmingham! I had already seen this on Facebook but didn't read it carefully !

Edited by Tatasmum

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Audition registrations for 8 October are still open

The audition will be a one-hour session

Specification for audition:

School years: 5, 6 and 7 (from September 2017)

Maximum height: 142 cm (4ft 8")

Rehearsal schedule

2 days intensive during autumn half term in London

Fortnightly rehearsals in London during November and the first part of December

18 and 19 December in Birmingham

• Like 1

200 today and 150 on 08.10 and the registrations are still open. It was a really lovely audition class today. 30-31 kids are going in every hour and half.  The panel will select 8 boys and 8 girls and results will be emailed in 2 weeks.   Good luck to everyone! 

• Like 3

This was  posted on FB just 45mins ago. (Fingers crossed my IT skillls work)   

Interesting that thry only ask for boys in their most recent post. 

AUDITION NOTICE: We're looking for talented boys to join us on stage in our brand new production of #BRBNutcracker at the Royal Albert Hall this Christmas with auditions being held in London this weekend. 

Applicants must be in school years 5, 6 or 7 (from September 2017). The maximum height for boys taking part is 142cm and ideally, we're looking for boys who enjoy dancing and love to perform. Previous ballet experience is an advantage, but not necessary.

Interested? Please email Katie in our education team by 5pm on Friday 6th October ( KatieMann@brb.org.uk) for further details.

• Like 1

I'm not surprised they are only asking for boys. SO many little girls!! 

With only 8 girls' places up for grabs (out of around 300) the odds are pretty low.

I'm not sure we would have spent the £25 audition fee plus £20 train fare though had we known so many were auditioning!

Still, DD said she really enjoyed the class. (And we discovered a branch of our favourite bakery just round the corner where they do the world's best cinnamon buns :P )

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Splitz said:

I'm not surprised they are only asking for boys. SO many little girls!! 

With only 8 girls' places up for grabs (out of around 300) the odds are pretty low.

I'm not sure we would have spent the £25 audition fee plus £20 train fare though had we known so many were auditioning!

Still, DD said she really enjoyed the class. (And we discovered a branch of our favourite bakery just round the corner where they do the world's best cinnamon buns :P )

I can sympathize with you over costs. DD has been invited to ENBS Audition workshop. Travel costs alone was going to be over £300!! And that was just for a workshop, with no 'prize' at the end of it!

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 09:14, MAK said:

Hmm, just re-reading initial brief: 142 cms does not equate to 4'6" (closer to 4'8") so I wonder which they need/meant!

Either way, looking forward to today's audition - all good experience 😊

Hope all went well with the audition.  This is bit late to respond and for anyone applying but I have only now come across this post again.  I remembering thing that the problem is a metric/imperial issue: 142cm is around 4.6 feet although that isn't the correct way for this to be presented as you don't present imperial measurements in metric so yes this was 4'8" which I take it was the maximum height they were looking at, not 4' 6" - I hope no-one was put of by this.  :unsure: Either way my daughter was too tall - pity it looked like a good experience for the £20 fee.

• Like 1

On 01.10 some groups (of 30) had 2-3 boys and some groups had girls only. It might equate to a 35-40 girls per place competition.  In any case the process was so well organised and the audition class was lovely.  All kids came out beaming with joy.    My DD is too tall, I checked online - 4 ft 8 in cm = 142.24 cm, but we went anyway.  She now has her ballet photo on the Albert Hall website, that was not expected, a nice memento from the audition. The fee well invested 

• Like 2