Press Release: From addiction to recovery to a first-class honours degree for one Fallen Angels Dance Theatre dancer as company prepares for UK Recovery Walk show

5988a006acf17_FallenAngelsLogo-1small.jpg.b02e8b7baabc83877ab58eba79b4bc62.jpg

Liverpool and Salford recovery dancers prepare to perform at national UK Recovery Walk 2017 in Blackpool

From recovery to first-class honours degree for one company dancer 

Media release: Monday 7 August 2017 – Following sell out shows at The Lowry and the Clore Studio at London’s Royal Opera House, Chester based Fallen Angels Dance Theatre is currently in rehearsals for Hell can wait, a brand new dance theatre production that retells stories of addiction and recovery. 

Before the work tours in 2018, a sneak peek can be seen at Blackpool’s famous Winter Gardens, one of Europe’s biggest entertainment venues, on Saturday 9 September 2017 during the national UK Recovery Walk 2017 event. 

Under the artistic direction of Paul Bayes Kitcher, Fallen Angels Dance Theatre (FADT) exists to support those in recovery from addiction to transform their lives, and to share the recovery journey with the wider public, through inspiring and thought-provoking dance, dance theatre, performance and creativity. 

Throughout the summer, Hell can wait has been developed through FADT’s unique practice of creating many critically praised productions (“What Paul Bayes Kitcher, former soloist of Birmingham Royal Ballet achieves is remarkable” said Jonathan Gray, Dancing Times). Starting with story gathering and dance workshops, the company members and participants from the Liverpool and Salford communities, have worked alongside dance professionals to develop the work to be seen in Blackpool.

5988a008405a0_sFallenAngelsDanceTheatre-dancerPhilipAshby-photoAndrewMillar.jpeg.4b1a7ef3c5053b7720938dfb8bcdf712.jpeg

FADT’s work helps to tell many positive stories of recovery. One of the company dancers to perform in Blackpool is Liverpool based Philip Ashby who recently graduated with a First-Class Honours Degree from Liverpool’s Hope University. Philip’s first experience of dance and theatre was with FADT in 2012 during his rehabilitation from addiction. Inspired by his experiences, Philip enrolled at Liverpool Community College before studying Dance and Drama at Hope University. In addition to his degree, Philip was awarded The Liz Bruen Prize for the Best Performing Student in Dance. 

Dr. Zoe Zontou, Senior Lecturer at Liverpool Hope University sites Phil’s achievement by saying: “We met Philip nearly five years ago when he was taking his first steps to recovery and his first steps in dancing with Fallen Angels Dance Theatre. We are so proud of all his accomplishments. This is a real example of the power of the arts to transform people’s lives.”

Paul Bayes Kitcher, Artistic Director of FADT, said: “We are delighted Philip has the opportunity to share his amazing creative and educational achievements whilst inspiring others embarking on their road to recovery. It’s estimated that over 5000 people will take part in the UK Recovery Walk 2017 so it’s a fitting day for Fallen Angels to share its work and the many positive stories associated with recovery. Philip’s story, and those of so many company members, proves that by accessing dance and the arts, it can have a positive effect to lives post addiction.”

Philip Ashby of FADT says: “Dance has opened a creative mind for me and I am no longer scared of the future, I am beginning a new and exciting chapter in my life. I have no idea what lies ahead for me but I am up for the challenge and will see what comes my way. The degree and the continued support of friends and colleagues at Fallen Angels Dance Theatre has helped me not to give up, but to push on and achieve my goals. I really hope my story can help inspire others too.”

-Ends-

NOTES: 

Saturday 9 September 2017 – a FREE, sneak peek performance of Hell can wait can be seen at Winter Gardens, Blackpool as part of UK Recovery Walk 2017.   For performance times check out the FADT website.

Photo credit: Dancer Philip Ashby in a Fallen Angels Dance Theatre performance. 

Fallen Angels Dance Theatre: Recovery through dance theatre - FADT provides a structured pathway to enhance recovery from addiction through:

Participation: workshops, projects and training- 

Outcomes of the activities we deliver are increased confidence and self-esteem, a platform for achievement and developing social networks, in a safe and caring environment.

Performance: live, recorded dance theatre and public speaking- 
Real life Journeys for and about people in recovery. We do this to raise awareness, breaking down barriers and stigma.

FADT’s vision is to provide high quality dance theatre experiences for people in recovery from addiction where they are accepted, valued, and realise their potential. We exist to support those in recovery from addiction to transform their lives, and to share the recovery journey with the wider public, through dance, performance and creativity.

FADT have a unique track record of engaging and sustaining relationships with people in recovery, enabling them to achieve things they never thought possible. Artistic Director Paul Bayes Kitcher in recovery himself and a former Birmingham Royal Ballet Soloist who has worked with renowned choreographers. Paul has delivered many arts projects within criminal justice, recovery and community settings since 2009.

Fallen Angels Dance Theatre North West: 
Company limited by Guarantee no: 8909000. Registered Charity: 1158251. Registered address: 18 Pearl Lane Chester CH3 5NX. 
Supported by: Arts Council England, Martin Geddes Trust, Paul Hamlyn Trust, Peter Kershaw Trust, Trusthouse Charitable Foundation.

5988a0077d535_sACElogo.jpg.220a297510744a5abe503de2c3e152a9.jpg

UK Recovery Walk #UKRW17
FAVOR | Charity Number SC043961 Faces and Voices of Recovery is a national charity, made up of individuals in recovery, their friends and families and Community Recovery Organisations. We are a policy advocacy movement that is taking on issues of discrimination, social justice and service access. A public and professional education movement, intent on challenging stigma. 

Edited by Jan McNulty
Edited to tidy formatting
  • Like 2