Royal Ballet cinema showings 2017-18

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I imagine Fonty used that word to demonstrate the (possible) attitude of those casting the presenters, rather than because that's what she thinks herself.

And possibly anyone casually finding this Forum and reading the remark could think it further proof that Ballet is elitist.

• Like 5

I would applaud the inclusion of Ore - he has done quite a few of these live relays now and also the online world ballet day broadcasts. He comes across as having a genuine curiosity  and admiration for ballet. This is exactly what the live screenings need. I'm taking a couple of friends who have only a passing interest in ballet to the screening of  The Winter's Tale. I'm pretty confident that the pre-performance/interval presentations will add to the enjoyment, not least because of Ore's infectious enthusiasm.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Vanartus said:

Plebs???!!! For heaven‘s sake - get a grip!!! 

9 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I imagine Fonty used that word to demonstrate the (possible) attitude of those casting the presenters, rather than because that's what she thinks herself.

You imagined right, Lizbie.  I would have thought it was obvious that I was making a joke.  Hence the winking smilie after I used the word.  That is standard on line forum etiquette that says I AM JOKING!!

4 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

And possibly anyone casually finding this Forum and reading the remark could think it further proof that Ballet is elitist.

Goodness me, I didn't realise that anyone could possibly take that inference from what was meant to be a light-hearted dig at those who deem ballet to be for "nobs" and "toffs" only.  Has everyone on this forum lost their sense of humour? :(  

Edited to add the definition of pleb: an ordinary person, especially one from the lower social classes.  Like wot I is....

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 2

I assume that the thinking behind this combination is that well known presenter and ballet newbie (Oduba) asks the kind of questions that ballet newbies ask and the ballet insider (Bussell) answers them and explains what we are going to see /have seen. Oduba is a very natural and relaxed presenter who can assist the much less relaxed Bussell and the message given is that ballet can be enjoyed by everyone (including the young(ish) and sports mad) and not just a tiny sub-set of the population. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Fonty said:

You imagined right, Lizbie.  I would have thought it was obvious that I was making a joke.  Hence the winking smilie after I used the word.  That is standard on line forum etiquette that says I AM JOKING!!

Goodness me, I didn't realise that anyone could possibly take that inference from what was meant to be a light-hearted dig at those who deem ballet to be for "nobs" and "toffs" only.  Has everyone on this forum lost their sense of humour? :(  

Edited to add the definition of pleb: an ordinary person, especially one from the lower social classes.  Like wot I is....

I did hope that was the case, Fonty! But I think the wink was slightly too subtle a way of qualifying the previous sentence and left it open to misinterpretation. But I'm glad it was NOT intended as it sounded!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

And I'd like to add that, at the age of 42 and often associating with exactly the kind of person imagined to use it, I don't think I've ever heard anyone other than the callowest prep school boy (soon put in their place) say the word other than humorously or ironically. As a term to express contempt I thought it had died out some time before the bowler hat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fonty said:

55 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

And I'd like to add that, at the age of 42 and often associating with exactly the kind of person imagined to use it, I don't think I've ever heard anyone other than the callowest prep school boy (soon put in their place) say the word other than humorously or ironically. As a term to express contempt I thought it had died out some time before the bowler hat.

Thank you for explaining what a pleb is Fonty for those of us, who unlike me, did not do Latin in school or have an interest in the Romans.  Everyone's humour is different and I'm afraid I did not find your comment in the least bit humorous and I found your explanation of a pleb patronising.  

Sadly not Lizbie1.

It is a fact that "a name" will bring people in to whatever art form it is.  I'm not her greatest fan but I don't have an issue with DB.  I rather like OO and he is a well known sports presenter.

• Like 2

I do actually quite like Oduba, and I find that he has become a better presenter for the cinema screenings since taking part in Strictly. He now seems genuinely interested and enthusiastic (I felt he was going through the motions a bit before) - probably he now has a true appreciation of the skill and hard work it takes to be a dancer.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Even if the intention is humorous or ironic, use of the word 'plebs' will always imply some level of value judgement in my view. A word best avoided!

Aside from this, please would it be possible for a moderator to move into a separate thread all  the discussions about presenters of cinema screenings, so that this thread remains focused on casting discussions? Thank you if so.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Josephine said:

Even if the intention is humorous or ironic, use of the word 'plebs' will always imply some level of value judgement in my view. A word best avoided!

I can't say I'd ever use it myself, but Fonty was only trying to illustrate the patronising mindset of a certain kind of producer.

FWIW I like OO and don't mind DB.

Edited to say: I'd be grateful to the mods if this post were moved as well as the others it refers to.

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Josephine said:

Aside from this, please would it be possible for a moderator to move into a separate thread all  the discussions about presenters of cinema screenings, so that this thread remains focused on casting discussions? Thank you if so.

Done!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So tonight I learnt that Sarah Lamb will be performing Manon on the next cinema live stream. I appreciate Lamb is a lovely dancer but she was Sugar Plum in December, she danced Perdita tonight and as I said she's the star of the next live performance. The RB have enough principle and First Soloists that they can surely share the roles. For those of us who don't get to the ROH too often it would be really great to see some of the other dancers in a lead role. I'm hoping to see Yasmine Nagdhi dance the lead performance - in a 3act - some day soon..🤔

• Like 1

Home from a virtually empty cinema tonight. But it was/is incredibly treacherous out there.

A wonderful performance of The Winter's Tale marred yet again for me by Darcey Bussell. The  'interviews' in the first interval with Wheeldon/ Barrett and, then, with Lauren Cuthbertson were all turned into an ego trip for Bussell. This is simply not fair. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, capybara said:

Home from a virtually empty cinema tonight. But it was/is incredibly treacherous out there.

A wonderful performance of The Winter's Tale marred yet again for me by Darcey Bussell. The  'interviews' in the first interval with Wheeldon/ Barrett and, then, with Lauren Cuthbertson were all turned into an ego trip for Bussell. This is simply not fair. 

Not fair on whom, capybara? I'm not being snippy, I promise - I'm genuinely interested.  After all, one assumes that KOH has some idea of (or even some say in) who the presenters will be.  

The chat with Wheeldon and Barrett seemed to flow well, as did the delightful and very interesting insight into Lauren Cuthbertson's preparations for the role.    I like Bussell and my teenage daughter is a huge fan, but to be honest the presenters neither make nor break a live stream for me.  Even Gok Wan only mildly irritated me when he presented Turandot. 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Winter's Tale at the cinema last night and was really moved by the final Pas de deux, however the sound when Ore and Darcey were speaking was really muted as though the microphones weren't switched on properly. Did anyone else find this? Also I was really worried at the start because first of all there was no sound, then the satellite link broke a couple of times and at one point we got a foreign news channel (possibly Norwegian), which made everyone laugh! Luckily it settled down when the ballet started.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anna C said:

Not fair on whom, capybara? I'm not being snippy, I promise - I'm genuinely interested.  After all, one assumes that KOH has some idea of (or even some say in) who the presenters will be.  

I felt that Darcey's "me, me, me" approach during their conversation wasn't fair to Lauren in particular. After all, it was she, not DB, who was the star of the evening.

Sorry, but I found this instance even more grating than usual.

• Like 3

In case anyone is planning on going to the Encore showing of The Winter's Tale at the Curzon Victoria on Sunday, and planning on using Southeastern trains to get there, be aware that there are no SE trains going into Victoria that day, so allow extra time for a tube journey!

On 01/03/2018 at 00:15, capybara said:

W

WEll sorry that you are disappointed by Darcey bussell - many people enjoy her presenting and she being famous etc is a benefit for many non- ballet knowledge people - I enjoyed her and ore idubas contributions and this added to my enjoyment of roh ballet on an otherwise cold and cheerless evening - apart from winters tale of course! Well done all staff and dancers for an amazing show despite the weather conditions

• Like 3

• alison changed the title to Royal Ballet cinema showings 2017-18
  • 1 month later...

By the way, if you were planning on going to see any of the Encore screenings of Manon, do double-check timings and dates: some cinemas have changed their usual patterns because of the Bank Holiday weekend.  (In particular, the one I'd been banking on going to as a backup has moved it to clash with the ROH Monday matinee performance I'd already booked for :( )

• 1 month later...

OK, so I swear I won't complain any more about Australian cinema's treatment of ballet, or a least not very much. I have read this thread with increasing horror. £20 for a ticket! £20! It cost me $20.00 (which is just over £11 according to Currency Converter) to see Manon a couple of weeks ago. And I complained bitterly because that was a steep increase following a change of cinema chains. True, we have lost Bolshoi all together, but we get RB, POB and La Scala, albeit rather late. And each performance is screened at least 3 and often 4 times, on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday at around 12.00 or 1.00. Screenings are now divided between 2 cinema chains. Until last year, all ballet (including Bolshoi) was screened by a chain of art house cinemas with cinemas in most capital cities. This year, a big commercial chain has taken over RB performances (hence the price rise), but performances are still screened in most capitals, as well as in some smaller cities. Audiences are usually small (about 20), but given the repeat screenings, not too bad.  And it's resonably easy to find out what's on where and when. So I am counting my blessings!

• Like 5

Unfortunately, cinemas are now charging whatever they think the market will bear. And since these showing are described as 'Events', and the grandeur of the ROH, the brilliance of the RB (or RO, or whoever), the thrill of the productions, the big name stars etc are all used to sell them, I suppose it's inevitable that cinemas will market them as exciting one-off opportunities and so charge more for them. Perhaps the ROH should in future use 'cheap ticket prices' as part of their promotion of these screenings too, and when contracting with cinema chains, use ticket prices as part of the t&c. I don't know how the economics of these screenings work in respect of the ROH, but since the most important aspect of them is the reach to a wider audience, ticket prices have to be kept as low as possible. They're a really important part of justifying the level of public funding that goes to the ROH.

• Like 2

We're very fortunate in North Cumbria as regards the cinema relays (and much else).  Tickets at Cockermouth, Keswick and Penrith are £15 or £16 and concessions £10 or £11.  One cinema offers supporters paying the £5 annual membership a £1 reduction off every ticket and a free drink.  There's a fair bit of choice for encore timings (I could have chosen an afternoon or evening encore yesterday or both), excellent venues and very appreciative audiences.

All the ballet 'live' screenings  I have watched have been very poorly attended. Does this impact the cost of a ticket? Is the cinema trying to make it worth screening the ballet to a handful of people? I would feel anxious complaining about the cost in case they stopped them altogether. Living hundreds of miles from London, I have always considered 15-20 pounds good value, as I am comparing it to train/flights/hotels etc combined. I feel a bit jealous hearing the you can really watch live for less than a cinema ticket! Still, we do get the interviews, and close ups at the cinema.

• Like 2