July 2017 software update

The update from version 4.1 to 4.2 of the forum software seems to have been uneventful. You'll notice that for those members without an avatar or image against their name they now have a tastefully coloured box with the first letter of their name. Let us know if you do or don't like this.

Since the change a few months back, the BCF site has been much slower to load on all my devices. That is a real frustration.

I think that the new "thanks"; "haha" and "like" could be confusing. There has been a previous debate about having anything different from a straightforward "like" and I would have preferred that we had kept it simple. Hearts imply love, after all!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, capybara said:

I think that the new "thanks"; "haha" and "like" could be confusing. There has been a previous debate about having anything different from a straightforward "like" and I would have preferred that we had kept it simple. Hearts imply love, after all!

Rather agree - I don't see the value of those.

A few problems:

i) I repeatedly get an error message when logging in (despite the log in seeming to be successful) - the error page asks for an email direct to administrators, so I sent one early this morning, but you ask for postings here, so I repeat.

ii) Anonymity of logging in seems not to work (ditto)

iii) I can't like any posts any more (the heart lights up but doesn't convert into a like)

iv) And when I like a second post, the first lit up heart goes off.

None of this happened until today. I should perhaps add that I am doing this on an IPad using not the fastest wifi connection.

The oddity that I've noticed with anonymous login is that although I can still see my name in the 'Who's Online' panel, if I click 'See Full List' it doesn't appear. I don't know if that means that others can see me.

I too find that 'like' doesn't work on my iPad though it does on the computer.

I'll contact you about the error message.

Alison:  I imagine that's a feature that will differ for users depending on when they last looked at a thread but, for what it's worth, there's a blue line on my screen three posts up, and I think all of those posts have appeared since I was last here.  From your question I assume we had that before - but I'd never noticed it.

7 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

John, Thanks for the deletions!  Could we try a round coloured disc for those initials?  I'm finding that solid square block of colour to be far more dominant than the avatar pics of the same size.

Round disks it is. What do people think?

• Like 3

On 02/08/2017 at 18:03, John Mallinson said:

The oddity that I've noticed with anonymous login is that although I can still see my name in the 'Who's Online' panel, if I click 'See Full List' it doesn't appear. I don't know if that means that others can see me.

I too find that 'like' doesn't work on my iPad though it does on the computer.

Experimentation shows that anonymous login is anonymous although the member can see their name in the panel on the  right of the home screen. 

'Like' does work ok on iPad and phone though it may take a bit of prodding, which mislead me at first.

• Like 1