Project Polunin at the London Coliseum, 5-10 December 2017

I have just received the following email from the London Coliseum, which may interest some:

We are delighted to share with you the news that Ukrainian ballet star Sergei Polunin’s company, Project Polunin, will present a mixed programme of new and revived work at the London Coliseum from 5 – 10 December 2017. The programme will feature an international cast and creative team, including Polunin himself. 

As an ENO Supporter, you are eligible for priority booking ahead of the general public – priority booking is now open. [obviously this email was addressed to me and I am a Friend of ENO... RSE]

With Project Polunin, Sergei aims to create new dance and ballet works for both stage and film, through the collaboration between dancers, contemporary artists, musicians and choreographers from all creative backgrounds. Project Polunin will strive to make dance accessible to people of all ages and to inspire, nurture and support young people to be more creative.

Full casting and details of the programme are to be announced later this year.

Edited by RuthE

Thanks, I can't access the Coliseum website and keep calling in, I'll look out for any leaflets, hope the Balcony is open, I keep trying to book for Amore but the Balcony is closed and I'm not booking the Upper Circle, I got a Balcony seat for Men in Motion okay though.

41 minutes ago, Mummykool said:

I agree, but its almost as if you have to get a ticket (in the cheap seats, I hasten  to add) just to see if it's as bad as the last time........

I'm not going to risk it - SW was just too dispiriting. But I very much hope that it will be better and that I will end up regretting my decision.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, capybara said:

Someone has just told me that there are tickets available at £400 each. Anyone? :)

I assume that includes a 'meet and greet' with the man himself?  Free bubbles and some sausage rolls in the intervals?   :)

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

I would want a dance lesson included.  Is there anyone deluded enough to pay for that, other than the Japanese department store whose ads he features in?

Seems to be, as some of those seats are sold on the seating plan!  Still have to pay the £1.50 booking fee too...

• Like 4

What a wonderful news! I watched Sadler's Wells hoping for new dates, but I'm very happy that he performs at the London Coliseum. Considering the speed at which seats are booked, I would say that the show promises to be sold out. Again. Perhaps British ballet critics live in a dusty eighteenth-century bubble, but not so the rest of the world. In any case, high-end tickets (such as special tickets for £400, which includes various extra, such as a tour behind the scenes, the possibility to meet the casts, etc.) have been almost all already taken. There is still some decent mid-range seat, but I don't think they will still be available for a long time.

On 4 agosto 2017 at 01:39, Bruce Wall said:

Same old; same old ... and agree ... after the SW debacle ...  two sticks in the formation of a cross will come in handy ... Must ward this one off with wariness.  

What a folkloristic concept of "debacle" you have in English: sold outs for all the dates, screaming applause, crowds of fans, photographic exhibits and books about a show that doesn't even have a year of life...My God, the successes in England must be something really stunning!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cat_D.B. said:

What a folkloristic concept of "debacle" you have in English: sold outs for all the dates, screaming applause, crowds of fans, photographic exhibits and books about a show that doesn't even have a year of life...My God, the successes in England must be something really stunning!

Polunin has great talent as a dancer and is becoming well known outside ballet circles, which is why he attracts audiences (at the moment). That doesn't mean that the programme at Sadler's Wells was a 'success' in artistic terms. I thought it was dismal, as did many reviewers and many posters on this forum.

• Like 7

The SW shows sold out before anyone had seen the show....not only because of Polunin, but also because of Natalia Osipova.  And Cat_D_B, please don't insult British reviewers because they didn't like this show.  They like plenty of pieces that are modern and different.  They just have to be good, or have some positive, redeeming features.  This show was panned by reviewers and dance lovers across the spectrum of age, experience and taste.  They can't all be wrong and "living in a dusty 18th century bubble.". These same reviewers and audience members gave huge praise to Khan's Giselle, Pite's Flight Pattern, McGregor's Woolf Works, et. etc.  Why?  Because they have artistic merit.

I wish Polunin well and I hope that his Coliseum show is successful.  I won't be risking it, but I hope I will regret that decision.

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2017 at 16:34, capybara said:

Someone has just told me that there are tickets available at £400 each. Anyone? :)

I am quite happy with my seat in Row A at the Balcony bought at the box-office for £20.
Only out of curiosity I clicked on the only remaining £400 seat in the Stalls for the opening night: https://londoncoliseum.org/whats-on/project-polunin/
Hoped to find some information on what is offered for this over the top price. No information appeared but the Total was obligingly served without delay: ‪£‬401.50. Had to cancel the order. :)

• Like 6

10 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Is it wise for a dancer to give six back to back performances, including two in one day or is Sergei not intending to be on stage very much?

Plenty have and still do, from Nureyev down.

• Like 2

It is always a risk but many are prepared (or have) to take it.

Although I only started ballet watching towards the end of his career, I understand that it was unheard of for Nureyev to miss a performance during his seasons at the Coliseum.

Of course these types of schedule are usually mixed programmes and you would not necessarily expect the "star name" to appear in every piece (depending on what is being performed).  However many years ago Canadian dancer Jonathan Renna performed every single performance (7) as Heathcliff in Northern Ballet's Wuthering Heights in Milton Keynes due to all the other Heathcliff's being injured.  It is a demanding full-length role.

• Like 4

Nureyev was known in the trade as 'Neveroff', he would dance nightly, frequently flying to his next venue, his scheduke was quite frankly unvelevable.

Dancers today are more prone to injury because they are required to dance in styles other than classical, but dancers in touring companies that don't perform other than in classical rep do dance full length roles every night, the most well known of these being Irina Kolesnikova.   Polunin is just dancing for a week.  It won't kill him.

Edited by MAB
typo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

It is always a risk but many are prepared (or have) to take it.

Although I only started ballet watching towards the end of his career, I understand that it was unheard of for Nureyev to miss a performance during his seasons at the Coliseum.

Of course these types of schedule are usually mixed programmes and you would not necessarily expect the "star name" to appear in every piece (depending on what is being performed).  However many years ago Canadian dancer Jonathan Renna performed every single performance (7) as Heathcliff in Northern Ballet's Wuthering Heights in Milton Keynes due to all the other Heathcliff's being injured.  It is a demanding full-length role.

Wow!

Now it may be that things are different for soloists/principals, BUT .... the Corps has to go on.  In RB Touring Company days, eight shows a week was pretty much the norm.  My wife will tell you of Saturday afternoons when, having done Act II of Swans and the various national dances with all the costume changes involved, they got to the end of Act IV and are bouréeing like mad, forcing feet through a pain threshold ....... all the while knowing that they'll be doing it again that night.  As they used to say in the Services, "Get some time in!"

• Like 8

Meanwhile, Sergei Polunin is all over the news in Japan because some promoter has set up what seems to be a hoax tour of him and his agent denying that he signed any contract for this. The promoter apparently has not finalized any concrete plans

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jp/harunayamazaki/sergei-polunin

http://news.tbs.co.jp/newseye/tbs_newseye3144864.html (news footage, not sure if this is viewable overseas)

This performance is very weird, consisting only of his performance of Take me to Church and a few more solos, venue not suited for dance and with talk and handshake session at a high price. Website looking very amateur, and the promoter urging ticket buyers to pay the money by bank transfer as soon as possible, thus looking like a scam case.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Naomi M said:

Meanwhile, Sergei Polunin is all over the news in Japan because some promoter has set up what seems to be a hoax tour of him and his agent denying that he signed any contract for this. The promoter apparently has not finalized any concrete plans

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jp/harunayamazaki/sergei-polunin

http://news.tbs.co.jp/newseye/tbs_newseye3144864.html (news footage, not sure if this is viewable overseas)

This performance is very weird, consisting only of his performance of Take me to Church and a few more solos, venue not suited for dance and with talk and handshake session at a high price. Website looking very amateur, and the promoter urging ticket buyers to pay the money by bank transfer as soon as possible, thus looking like a scam case.  

It could only happen to Sergei!   Interesting thought, though.  I suppose there really is nothing to stop anyone doing something similar here.