Royal Ballet Winter Season 2017/18 Casting

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, aliceinwoolfland said:

Yes, I wonder why Hayward got three opportunities and Naghdi only one? (Not that I’m complaining as Hayward is my favourite dancer) 😍

Yes I found this strange  - i would have thought it would have been better to give Naghdi and Ball either the general rehearsal or the school matinee , rather than give both these to Hayward and Campbell, but I guess there were good reasons for this not to be the case.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Yes I found this strange  - i would have thought it would have been better to give Naghdi and Ball either the general rehearsal or the school matinee , rather than give both these to Hayward and Campbell, but I guess there were good reasons for this not to be the case.

To be fair, they got the Friends general because Natalia Osipova was poorly, so they were late subs

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I'd heard Wayne McGregor is using Chichester Psalms and I've seen public comments:

http://www.edmunddewaal.com/news/wayne-mcgregor-leonard-bernstein-celebration

Yes, it has been known for some time (I think since the season announcement last April) that the music for the new McGregor is the Chichester Psalms.  A lovely piece IMHO.

• Like 5

On 14/02/2018 at 17:42, alison said:

At least it will give Soares something to do: he doesn't seem to have been cast a lot this season.

There’s a very candid interview with Soares in the current Dancing Times where he discusses the changes in his repertoire and confirms that he intends to remain with the Royal Ballet for at least another three seasons.

• Like 4

On 21/02/2018 at 14:22, Vanartus said:

Re: Bernstein Triple - anyone got any news on casting for MacGregor and Wheeldon?

That piece in the Telegraph mentioned 3 dancers: "Matt", "Sarah", and "Olivia", so presumably Ball, Lamb and Cowley - and also an injured dancer, who I assume was Ed Watson.

• Like 1

Yes, fingers crossed it's nothing serious (she says hopefully, because I would not want to miss her Manon).  But two scratch pairings in two days is a terrible shame - perhaps it may turn out to be serendipitous? (again, she says hopefully)

• Like 1

:checks inbox AGAIN:

Nope.  Still waiting :(

This really is most discourteous.  It's bad enough not to do it for the company's own principals, but when it's a guest star of Hallberg's stature ...  Will he not even be given the courtesy of a footnote "replacing David Hallberg, who is injured", but just be eradicated from the scheduled casting, as has happened with all the other injured principals this season?  Do they hope people will be so blinded by the fact that it's Osipova, and Giselle, that they'll just go "Oh, Matthew Ball?  Did I know he was supposed to be dancing?  Wasn't it supposed to be someone else?"

• Like 1

Not only that, but there hasn't even been a public announcement.  There's one on the Giselle page for Lamb replacing Morera, but it would seem that Ball replacing Hallberg is not worthy of a mention.

5 minutes ago, alison said:

Not only that, but there hasn't even been a public announcement.  There's one on the Giselle page for Lamb replacing Morera, but it would seem that Ball replacing Hallberg is not worthy of a mention.

If there hadn't been a public announcement, we wouldn't have let it be reported on here (that would be a breach of AUP).

Okay, well, in that case the cast change hasn't been linked to on the Giselle page, which is standard practice: not everyone bothers keeping an eye on the News page just in case.

And I originally reported it on here because it had been sneaked onto the casting page seemingly without any, well, fanfare isn't quite the word I'd have chosen, but ...

I still maintain that it would have been courteous to email ticket holders in case anyone had been specifically wanting to see Hallberg rather than Osipova, so that tickets could potentially have been returned and picked up by those poor people desperate for tickets.

• Like 1

Just now, John Mallinson said:

Agree that it would be nice if ticket holders could be informed of major casting changes by email but that doesn't seem to be the way with ROH. I don't recall having had any such messages.

I've certainly had them in the past.

• Like 1

Shall we assume 1 cast for the McG and 2 for the Wheeldon and we'll have to take pot luck?  We know what we've extrapolated from insights and the Telegraph article, so will just have to hope there are no further injuries.

It seems to me that the whole 'Bernstein centenary' has been treated poorly by the RB. Until recently we had no idea what music was involved - still don't think we've had it for the Wheeldon- no titles were given until recently, the Insight has only just been put on You Tube and we still don't know who is dancing when. Doesn't seem a very good way to celebrate Bernstein to me. 

• Like 3