Royal Ballet Winter Season 2017/18 Casting

11 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Am disappointed that the filmed cinema cast is very similar to the first filmed cast in Winter's Tale. This also seems to have been done in Alice and possibly Nutcracker. Why film the same casts when there are other newer casts that the cinema audience can enjoy? it's not as if these ballets are likely to be ones ones that non- regular ballet goers will go for the casts, and regular cinema/ballet goers would love to see (for example) Francesca as Sugar Plum fairy or in Winter's Tale or Vadim in Alice or Winter's Tale. 

Yes, I had the same thought - it seems a wasted opportunity to see a different cast.

• Like 7

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/9/2017 at 19:36, Don Q Fan said:

Anyone wanting an Osipova/Hallberg  or any other cast ticket the loose seats have gone on sale.  I struck lucky late last night!!

Are these the tall balcony seats? Are they good? I was looking at getting one for Sylvia but ended up passing because of the note that patrons in front may obstruct the view. This may be an issue for me as I’m quite short. Has this been an issue in your experience?

I go for row B which is a loose chair and is on a high "step" so towers over row A not usually any problem unless someone in front leans forward. Row C behind has high stools with footrests, so people in front might be a problem I don't know as never sat in one. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saodan said:

Are these the tall balcony seats? Are they good? I was looking at getting one for Sylvia but ended up passing because of the note that patrons in front may obstruct the view. This may be an issue for me as I’m quite short. Has this been an issue in your experience?

It's pot luck, really, depending on who you have sitting in front of you.  The seats can be good, or not.  I've been known to get a booster cushion before now when things have been really bad.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 21:51, Don Q Fan said:

I go for row B which is a loose chair and is on a high "step" so towers over row A not usually any problem unless someone in front leans forward. Row C behind has high stools with footrests, so people in front might be a problem I don't know as never sat in one. 

Good to know.

• Like 1

Yes, the loose seats in B are terrific seats.  They're often out of my price range but I sometimes pick them up for dress rehearsals.  Given that the people in row A are sitting on a curve they do have a general tendency to lean forward, and I can vouch for the fact that they do not block the view from the row B loose seats at all, except very slightly for the very furthest ones round to the side.  At least, that's the case for me, an average-height woman.

• Like 3

On 7/24/2017 at 00:02, jmhopton said:

Am disappointed that the filmed cinema cast is very similar to the first filmed cast in Winter's Tale. This also seems to have been done in Alice and possibly Nutcracker. Why film the same casts when there are other newer casts that the cinema audience can enjoy? it's not as if these ballets are likely to be ones ones that non- regular ballet goers will go for the casts, and regular cinema/ballet goers would love to see (for example) Francesca as Sugar Plum fairy or in Winter's Tale or Vadim in Alice or Winter's Tale. 

However, like everyone am really looking forward to the Giselle debuts (and I too am really pleased about the Friday evening/ Saturday matinee combination). Just a pity as Giselle has been filmed so recently there will be no cinema capture of either of these what I'm sure will be, wonderful debuts. Also interesting to see Hallberg as I too have never seen him dance live, only the recordings of Sleeping Beauty and Marco Spada.

I quite agree - really don't want to see Lauren C as Sugar Plum again! I would love to see Yasmine N dance it since I was unable to get a ticket for ROH. The live cinema show is an opportunity for the company to show off the talented dancers and it's just boring to use the same dancers especially for us up north who don't get the opportunity to see many live performances.

• Like 3

On 7/21/2017 at 23:40, Tony Newcombe said:

Hangar Lane Premier Inn West London already booked by me for the Friday/Saturday Hayward  Naghdi Giselle . Easy trip in on Central Line. 1 night £31

Thank you for that Tony, I will need somewhere in Feb when I'm down to see Yasmine N in Giselle.

2 hours ago, Sharon said:

I quite agree - really don't want to see Lauren C as Sugar Plum again! I would love to see Yasmine N dance it since I was unable to get a ticket for ROH. The live cinema show is an opportunity for the company to show off the talented dancers and it's just boring to use the same dancers especially for us up north who don't get the opportunity to see many live performances.

Yes, they do do this rather frequently, I'm afraid: multiple cinema showings with very similar casts (Alice, Nutcracker, Winter's Tale ...).  For the productions which get broadcast regularly, it would be nice to rotate the casts.

• Like 10

Thanks for the advice on seats everybody. With the cost of a train ticket as well, I don’t really want to risk a bad view. Will be careful with row C.

10 hours ago, Sharon said:

I quite agree - really don't want to see Lauren C as Sugar Plum again!

I agree, it would be nice to have a little more variation in cinema casts, but I thought Sarah Lamb was dancing the Sugar Plum Fairy this year. It will be three years in a row for Hayward and Campbell though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As has already been stated on the Winter casting thread (because it also affects Nutcracker), Steven McRae is out of Giselle, replaced (opposite Takada) by Benjamin Ella in his role debut.

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-changes-the-nutcracker-and-giselle-2018

I'm curious now.  If at this stage the first cover (Campbell replacing Sambe) has now been formally committed to a cast, and the second/replacement cover (obviously Ella) is now also officially on, does that mean the company will start rehearsing a "spare", or that any later cast changes are likely to be fulfilled by a member of an existing cast?  I'm not intending to stoke gossip, just curious as to how that's likely to work, if anyone knows.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 1

I'm pleased that KoH has chosen to give a promising soloist an opportunity in such a major role. Ben Ella danced and acted his recent Hans Peter very well indeed and at the time I mused that it would be interesting to see him dance something substantial - I didn't for a moment see it coming this quickly though. Best of luck to him ! 

• Like 4

James Hay is - at least in my lights - a VERY special talent ... who I believe deserves to be cherished.  I am somewhat surprised that he didn't get this assignment especially after the triumph of Hay's Forimund opposite Takada's Aurora in last season's Sleeping Beauty.  (This is to take nothing away from Ella of course.  A very worthy dancer indeed.)  That said too, I just read in a snippet from a London Times article wherein Takada identifies Ella as 'her boyfriend' so this may well make for a very special relationship in this production of Giselle.  (To quote exactly:  "She has a boyfriend in the company — first artist Benjamin Ella — and hangs out with the other Japanese dancers every so often “because we miss speaking Japanese”.)

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 7

I do fully agree with the comments about James Hay - he is a wonderful dancer.

As regards Benjamin Ella now partnering Akane Takada, my first thoughts were what a very special occasion that will be for the two of them and I wish I had a ticket.  I remember Akane's fabulous Giselle last time but found Nehemiah Kish's Albrecht brusque to say the least, not really playing the 'she loves me, loves me not' scene and dropping the flowers on Giselle's grave without any thought.  I'm sure Benjamin will be properly attentive!

I know Akane/Benjamin do regularly dance together in galas etc and I wouldn't be surprised if they have performed some Giselle scenes but I'm afraid I dont know.

It's also not clear who has been understudying Albrecht.

Whilst the ROH website gives the change of cast news, only 20 January has been updated.  5 February still shows Steven McRae as dancing but I assume this is still to be updated.  A number of top price tickets have also been released for 5 February.

• Like 1

About the Albrecht understudies: as Sambe was (IIRC) already injured when the Giselle casting was made public, I'd guess that his Albrecht was announced more in hope than expectation and KO'H will have planned accordingly. Though that may just mean that Ella was already lined up as an understudy when he might not otherwise have been.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

As regards Benjamin Ella now partnering Akane Takada, my first thoughts were what a very special occasion that will be for the two of them

Yes, mine too.  I didn't see this coming - but then I didn't know that McRae was injured.

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

I see Steven McRae is injured - I hope he quickly recovers.

Not just Nutcracker but Giselle where Benjamin Ella will partner Akane Takada - I'm sure that will be very special for them and wish I were going.

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-changes-the-nutcracker-and-giselle-2018

That's a very big opportunity for Benjamin Ella, and an emotionally involved one too. Albrecht has to be the biggest challenge of the 19th Century Classics for the male dancer.

58 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I see Vadim Muntagirov is ill and is replaced by Federico Bonelli for the opening night Giselle.  Do hope Vadim recovers quickly.

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-change-federico-bonelli-to-dance-in-giselle-on-19-january-2018

Nooooooooo! No Vadim 😢😢😢 !Gutted!! Sorry Fede but needed to see Vadim/Nela this time.....

1 minute ago, capybara said:

What's the picture of, please Ian? Such links are a mystery to those of without a Times subscription.

You shouldn't need a subscription to use that link (but the second picture is Hayward and Campbell rehearsing Giselle).  I didn't.

I like the hedgehog and the sauna too.

• Like 1