Royal Ballet Winter Season 2017/18 Casting

The casting for Giselle and The Winter's Tale has just been posted on the ROH website:

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/giselle-by-peter-wright

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/the-winters-tale-by-christopher-wheeldon

Edit: Age of Anxiety casting now added.

http://www.roh.org.uk/mixed-programmes/new-wayne-mcgregor-the-age-of-anxiety-new-christopher-wheeldon

It will probable be some time before we know the casting of the new works.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 3

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, John Mallinson said:

…and Osipova partnered by David Hallberg in two performances of Giselle!

My 'headlines' are the Giselle/Albrechts for Naghdi/Ball :)and Hayward/Sambe :)(plus, of course, the irresistible pairing of Nunez/Muntagirov :)).

Not sure why it is necessary to bring in Hallberg as a guest, although I do like his dancing.

• Like 5

Very excited for all the Giselles! I can see where my money will be going this year. Particularly excited for Naghdi and Hayward's debuts, but Osipova and Hallberg looks good as well, not to mention seeing Nunez and Muntagirov again. 

• Like 5

Good news - thank you Bluebird.  

Had hoped that Benn Gartside might be given another Leontes following his promotion to Principal Character Artist but I see he's in Age of Anxiety.  And Christina Arestes does dance Paulina.

• Like 1

Thrilled about the Naghdi/Ball and Hayward/Sambe Giselle debuts.  I am so happy that Kevin is nurturing those two wonderful partnerships.  I am also very pleased to see Akane dance with Steven again.  I thought they worked really well together in The Dream, so perhaps is this another partnership that is in its infancy!  Fingers crossed.

A pity that the younger principals are only getting one show each, but I guess the established ones take precedence.  Next time, hopefully....there will be such a scramble for tickets for the one show that many will be left disappointed.  

I am also really happy that David Hallberg is coming over to dance with Osipova.  My friends Stateside tell me that they are beautiful together in Giselle.  I have never seen him dance 'live' so am keeping everything crossed that I can get tickets to one, or preferably both, of their performances!

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Sim said:

A pity that the younger principals are only getting one show each, but I guess the established ones take precedence.  Next time, hopefully....there will be such a scramble for tickets for the one show that many will be left disappointed.

But rather nice that those two single shows are a Friday night and the following day's matinee!  For anyone coming from outside of London commuting distance, that can be done in a single visit and hotels are relatively cheap on Fridays ;)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sim said:

Yes - and the fact that one of these wonderful pairings will probably dance the General and the other may be cast for the Schools' Matinee doesn't really help the situation. However, pressure on ticket sales will hopefully convey a powerful message.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RuthE said:

Oooh! four casts in Winter's Tale.

Yes, but unfortunately without Bennet Gartside :(  I wish I'd seen more of his performances last time around - I certainly would have had I known they were to be his last.

It will be interesting to see what shaking up the casting does for the performances.  And of course I guess we'll all miss Zenaida Yanowsky's Paulina.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, alison said:

Yes, but unfortunately without Bennet Gartside :(  I wish I'd seen more of his performances last time around - I certainly would have had I known they were to be his last.

I agree that Bennet's performances as Leontes were extraordinary, especially at that moment when he was overtaken with the belief that the baby was Polixines'. For me, he transformed The Winter's Tale into something altogether more interesting.

But, of course, we also have him now in The Judas Tree in the autumn.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I've not seen Hayward with Sambe, but I thought she was establishing a partnership with Campbell?

She's been paired with both of them, with great success in both cases I think. I'm delighted that she and Sambé are doing Giselle together, but I would very much like to see Campbell do Albrecht too, which is my only disappointment in the casting. He has an innate stage presence and dramatic intelligence that is very rare (reminds me of David Wall, and I can give no higher compliment).

• Like 14

2 hours ago, capybara said:

I agree that Bennet's performances as Leontes were extraordinary, especially at that moment when he was overtaken with the belief that the baby was Polixines'. For me, he transformed The Winter's Tale into something altogether more interesting.

Have we?  I can't say I'd noticed - but then I'm still waiting for my Period 1 booking booklet to arrive, and I believe public booking starts next week?

Anyway, a Judas Tree doesn't make up for a Winter's Tale in my book, welcome though it is :(

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RuthE said:

But rather nice that those two single shows are a Friday night and the following day's matinee!  For anyone coming from outside of London commuting distance, that can be done in a single visit and hotels are relatively cheap on Fridays ;)

OTOH, possibly not so nice for people who need to arrange two lots of sitting.  Oh well, can't please them all, I guess.

3 hours ago, bridiem said:

She's been paired with both of them, with great success in both cases I think. I'm delighted that she and Sambé are doing Giselle together, but I would very much like to see Campbell do Albrecht too, which is my only disappointment in the casting. He has an innate stage presence and dramatic intelligence that is very rare (reminds me of David Wall, and I can give no higher compliment).

Agree. Hugely disappointed that Alex is not dancing Albrecht

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Marg S said:

Agree. Hugely disappointed that Alex is not dancing Albrecht

Ditto ... Also I would have loved to have seen James Hay have a go with Takada after his ravishing Florimund opposite her in Sleeping Beauty this past season.  T'was a performance of elegant size and detail.   Perhaps with KIsh now back he will lose some of his previous opportunities.  Not for too long I hope.  We shall see.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

I'm afraid I have to disagree with Alison re Nehemiah Kish's Albrecht.  I thought he didn't engage in the 'loves me, loves me not' play and his placing of flowers on Giselle's grave I found perfunctory.  In Act 1 I guess one interpretation is that Albrecht is simply toying with Giselle but surely in Act 2 he realises he loves her and would show this in positioning the flowers with as much tenderness as possible?  I was however very impressed with much of his dancing but it was undoubtedly Akane who made the performance truly memorable. 

On 7/20/2017 at 16:08, RuthE said:

Err have you booked a hotel in London for a Friday recently? Friday and Saturday THE most expensive! Sunday is the cheapest night. If you know something I don't, please do tell ?

• Like 2

That's a good price for a Friday night but I know can be cheaper when booked well in advance ....have no idea yet which month the Giselle is being performed though....haven't looked at the season yet!! 

Ah just seen Giselle isn't until after Christmas in the Jan to March period. Well London is busy all the year round but this is probably one of the quieter periods comparatively speaking.

can you book Premier Inns more than six months in advance then? I thought there was some sort of limit ....in that it won't come up with deals that far ahead.

On 21/07/2017 at 09:15, capybara said:

I'm shocked by this casting decision for The Winter's Tale. For me Bennet Gartside and Marianela Nuñez together delivered the performance of a lifetime. Very moving to recall. I agree that Bennet Gartside transformed Wheeldon's work, giving exceptional clarity and insight to his finely drawn portrayal. Even if partnerships are changed, it is extremely sad that he is not to dance Leontes at all next season.

Edited by Josephine
  • Like 8

Am disappointed that the filmed cinema cast is very similar to the first filmed cast in Winter's Tale. This also seems to have been done in Alice and possibly Nutcracker. Why film the same casts when there are other newer casts that the cinema audience can enjoy? it's not as if these ballets are likely to be ones ones that non- regular ballet goers will go for the casts, and regular cinema/ballet goers would love to see (for example) Francesca as Sugar Plum fairy or in Winter's Tale or Vadim in Alice or Winter's Tale. 

However, like everyone am really looking forward to the Giselle debuts (and I too am really pleased about the Friday evening/ Saturday matinee combination). Just a pity as Giselle has been filmed so recently there will be no cinema capture of either of these what I'm sure will be, wonderful debuts. Also interesting to see Hallberg as I too have never seen him dance live, only the recordings of Sleeping Beauty and Marco Spada.

• Like 8