Summer Variations - Elmhurst summer show 2017

Yesterday marked the end of term and the final show of this year, with the school taking the performances back to the school theatre after two years in the Rep. Over the years the format of these shows has changed from two different programmes over a ten day period and now has seperate lower and upper school shows with two mixed performances at the end of the run. I saw one upper school show and yesterday's mixed programme. I think I prefer the mixed shows, it is nice to appreciate the skills developing as the students progress through the school and the lower school parents being an enthusiastic audience that was missing at the upper school only show.  

I won't comment on the dancing as I'm not qualified to do so, we were told yesterday there had been a number of positive press reviews. But from my perspective most students seemed to enjoy performing and did so with energy and passion. A few teary eyes were noticeable in those that won't be carrying on at the school next year but somehow they still danced their hearts out. 

Pieces over the two shows I particularly enjoyed; Cuban Fusion (year 9), Flamenco (years 11, 12, 13), Another Day of Sun (year 14), Ashton's Explosion Polka (year 13) and the new Bintley piece, Comic Cuts (year 14). 

Comic Cuts was a Jazz style piece full of energy that looked as much fun to perform as it was watch. But should the graduates have to forfeit an one act ballet for this piece? From my recall this is the first time in the 8 years I've attended the shows that the graduates haven't done a costume ballet to show off their skills. A bit contradictory as we have been told numerous times this year how exciting it is the school reverting to the name Elmhurst Ballet school from school of dance. The piece the graduates did was beautiful but did miss the excitement of final grad ballets I've seen in the past. And a shame part of it was cut in the mixed show.

All the students should be proud of themselves it was an enjoyable show. For some students it's a shame they didn't have a family member to watch the final show of the year because some parents are greedy and don't stick to the request of two tickets per family and the school do little to police this. 

Was also disappointed by the lack of congratulatory words from Mr Parker at the end of yesterday's show and that for the first time in school theatre that the curtain didn't rise after defile for the audience to enjoy the student's excitement.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that the Bintley Premiere was fizzing and fun, but at the behest of not enough original ballet choreography being given an airing. The Upper school second year was especially short changed I thought, as the Ashton Explosion polka was over in under 2 minutes with a rotating cast.... there are so many well trained and good dancers at Elmhurst but the senior girls didn't get much chance to dance in the show this year. There were of course some of the top dancers still off with injuries ...

i definately think the Elmhurst Summer show should go back to being held at the Birmingham Rep, but with fewer shows and Lower and Upper school together. They deserve and need to be showcased in a more professional and sleek setting . 

Last year's Summer Extravaganza had far better programming in my view.