Royal Ballet Promotions, Leavers, Joiners 2017/2018

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 16/08/2017 at 13:48, Anna C said:

Very sad; I remember his Tybalt which was excellent.  No mention of where he's going next?

No....he said on Facebook that he will be pursuing other interests and commitments and will keep us informed.  I wish him well.  

Who can possibly replace him as The Caterpillar in the upcoming run of Alice?!  😢😢

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

He sounds lovely.  I think he was just in the wrong company at the wrong time and Ai think he almost says this when he talks about people having their positions.  For me, his appointment seemed an unusual one given RB’s repertory and I think it was a rare mis-step from KOH. 

I am am more concerned to read that the wonderful Johann is doing a new DQ.  Does the world really need yet another version of this, for me, uninspired work.

11 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

He sounds lovely.  I think he was just in the wrong company at the wrong time and Ai think he almost says this when he talks about people having their positions.  For me, his appointment seemed an unusual one given RB’s repertory and I think it was a rare mis-step from KOH. 

At the time he, Matthew Golding, was hired, the RB needed a tall, male Principal but, then, unexpectedly perhaps, along came Vadim Muntagirov ;)

• Like 1

...they were looking in particular for “the one” for Osipova. High hopes which were dashed by her injuries...first Sleeping Beauty...then the fall in DQ. However I actually liked them together in Dream (I’m in a tiny minority here!) and he really did raise his game with her in Onegin. 

2 hours ago, capybara said:

At the time he, Matthew Golding, was hired, the RB needed a tall, male Principal but, then, unexpectedly perhaps, along came Vadim Muntagirov ;)

Yes, it was just bad timing really, I suppose.  But how nice that he appears sanguine and very much involved in his future career.

• Like 6

As a side note but leading on from capybara’s comment, how tall are Matthew Golding and Vadim Muntagirov? Are they substantially taller than other RB male principals? 

And now that Zenaida Yanowsky has retired, what range of heights is there amongst the female RB principal dancers?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, mimi'smom said:

Harrison Lee was interviewed yesterday during the Prix live stream and announced that he will be joining the Royal Ballet company I'm assuming at the end of the season. 

Looking at the recording on YouTube do you recall what day of the live stream Harrison is on please.

11 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

Looking at the recording on YouTube do you recall what day of the live stream Harrison is on please.

It was yesterday after the final in the break between the finals and the announcements. It isn't on YouTube yet. He was there as part of the choreography project but obviously of interest as a previous winner. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mimi'smom said:

It was yesterday after the final in the break between the finals and the announcements. It isn't on YouTube yet. He was there as part of the choreography project but obviously of interest as a previous winner. 

Thanks, I’ll look out for it.

• Like 1

The French site Dansomanie gives a link to a complete version of the programme on Facebook - no guarantee it will stay there for much longer.

The section with Harrison Lee starts about 2.01.

(Also at about 2.48 you can see Kristina Shapran and Xander Parish dancing the pas de deux from Diamonds.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hambleton said:

I think he's joining as an apprentice actually. Though I may be wrong ...

I had heard that also.

There are a few RBS students who seem to have been offered Aud Jebsen Young Dancer contracts but there has been no official announcement yet.