EYB Casting Day Question

poodle

I wonder if anyone can let me know what happens at the EYB casting day.  I have read the other threads and can't find the answer to my specific question so thought I would start a new one I hope that is OK?

DD got through the audition which I watched along with the other parents.  The casting takes longer than the audition and runs from 4pm-8pm and I wondered if parents are expected to stay during that time to watch the proceedings or whether the expectation is that parents drop dancer off and then leave?

Thank you :)

There is a short talk and then the children are taken off for a class. After the class they have a short break and then casting and press photos are taken. Parents are not allowed to watch the class or casting. You don't have to stay, if you want to there is usually somewhere for you to stay. 

A word of warning if you leave, depending on how far a way you live will make a difference to when your child finishes. So if you do go home or off somewhere I would arrive back earlier than the predicted finishing time. 

• Like 1

Thank you, can parents take photos when the do the press shoot ie when they are all in their EYB t-shirts?

DD is hoping to be one of Aurora's little friends but I am prepping her as convinced she is going to be a monster :)

Krs

No, parents can't take photos at the casting day, though you can buy copies of the photos taken by EYB staff if you want. Parents do get the opportunity to photograph their children in costume on stage in between the matinee and evening performances on the last day though. In my opinion those are much nicer than the ones in the T-shirts anyway.

• Like 1

There is only one photo opportunity for parents and that is after the performance on the Saturday afternoon. Here you can take photos of them in their costumes. You will be able to the press photos and buy a copy of them if you want to but you won't be in the room when this all happens. 

What ever part she gets she will have a fantastic time. DD has performed with EYB three times now and has loved them all. 

• Like 1

Thank you.

Even at the audition you could see they were being grouped, DD was put in a group of 5 or 6.  One girl was taken out and another put in her place and they were made to repeat a dance together and looked really good and all the same height so you could see she had something in mind for them as a group.

9 minutes ago, Pointetoes said:

That sounds like the scholarship group. 

I was just thinking that too though at the one dd done there were 8 called forward & made to repeat a dance a few times. Then from that group of 8 they split it into 2 groups of 4 to see the dancers more closely but no one was ever taken out or another put in their place. 

Hi there

No it deffo wan't the scholarship group.  Those selected for that were great and it was all explained.  DD was not part of the scholarship group :-)

After the general class in rows they got each row to do a dance together.  Then everyone say down and they called certain numbers and groups up.  DDs line was called up but one girl taken out and a girl from another line put in and they did the dance together again with the new girl and they danced really lovely together and were similar heights.  There was a little bit of this going and I am guessing they will do similar at the casting?

• Like 1

On 08/06/2017 at 09:29, poodle said:

Thank you, can parents take photos when the do the press shoot ie when they are all in their EYB t-shirts?

DD is hoping to be one of Aurora's little friends but I am prepping her as convinced she is going to be a monster :)

Krs

My dd is doing EYB for the second time. She's absolutely loves it. She's made lots of friends and learning so much. She finds the casting days quite difficult though. She's very tiny for her age so felt she was never given the same opportunity for some if the roles as the girls the same age/ability who are taller. I know they have to consider costumes etc but definitely makes my dd more self conscious about her height. 

Some of the best photos I have from EYB are what the kids have taken themselves during rehearsals. Kids look so happy (though sometimes sweaty/red faced from working so hard ?).

• Like 1

I can relate to that Sarah2203 as my dd was short for her age and only got considered for "shorty" parts and didn't get a chance to audition for other parts. It was made a little worse by a few girls who were a bit smug around her that they had better parts! But ... she still insisted she loved the actual training and the chance to understudy other dances/parts regardless of height! She came back to her local dance school so much stronger, aware of a lot more terminology and made loads of friends. 

shes now doing eyb as a senior and was extremely chuffed to be selected for scholarship round at last two auditions and is so looking forward to her pointe part now (3 years after first doing eyb)

• Like 1

Ahhh, how horrible that "shorty" parts are not considered as good as the rest by some people.  I was reading a post about this elsewhere in the forum and just can't see why the parts for smaller girls are any different to any other part?

DD is quite tall for her age and as mentioned above I am preparing her so she is not disappointed if she is a monster haha.  I think every little girl wants a tutu but we know that doesn't always happen :-)

• Like 1

My DD did EYB last October. She is quite diddy for her age and was cast as Lady Songbird and the White Cat. Lovely roles although maybe not on stage as much as others but she loved them and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. Other girls we knew were Guests, Friends and Monsters. In fact the Monsters also danced as jewels in the second act to they had lovely tutu costumes too. In fact most of the cast had two roles and therefore two costumes, other than the Friends & Guests. So no matter the role, your DD bound to have at least one pretty costume!!

• Like 3

The team at EYB are brilliant. My dd wasn't disappointed at casting day just very self conscious about her height.  My dd was given a little solo section during rehearsals though so shes very happy, the made it harder to go with her capability (I'm yet to see it so probably only seconds long ?). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dancefanatic said:

My DD did EYB last October. She is quite diddy for her age and was cast as Lady Songbird and the White Cat. Lovely roles although maybe not on stage as much as others but she loved them and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. Other girls we knew were Guests, Friends and Monsters. In fact the Monsters also danced as jewels in the second act to they had lovely tutu costumes too. In fact most of the cast had two roles and therefore two costumes, other than the Friends & Guests. So no matter the role, your DD bound to have at least one pretty costume!!

Well actually thats amazing then as a character part plus a tutu part - win win.  Thank you :-)

2 hours ago, Sarah2203 said:

The team at EYB are brilliant. My dd wasn't disappointed at casting day just very self conscious about her height.  My dd was given a little solo section during rehearsals though so shes very happy, the made it harder to go with her capability (I'm yet to see it so probably only seconds long ?). 

Those parts sound gorgeous and DD would not be disappointed with those :-)

• Like 1

On 08/06/2017 at 09:29, poodle said:

Krs

Pps most monsters had jewel roles too so got beautiful tutu to wear too . All will be well ?

• Like 1

Well after an extremely tiring weekend my dd has finished her run in EYB. Been awful being backstage in this heat so no idea how they manage to dance! Super proud of my dd as she received the junior award from Miss Lewis at presentation. She's delighted at being chosen from so many talented children.

• Like 7

On 2017-6-10 at 08:35, poodle said:

Ahhh, how horrible that "shorty" parts are not considered as good as the rest by some people.  I was reading a post about this elsewhere in the forum and just can't see why the parts for smaller girls are any different to any other part?

DD is quite tall for her age and as mentioned above I am preparing her so she is not disappointed if she is a monster haha.  I think every little girl wants a tutu but we know that doesn't always happen :-)

Dd1 also short but did play Aurora's friend. Not sure how old your dd is but the friends are usually on pointe. Dd was 11 and most of her friends were cast with her. At the time they were all around inter foundation grade. There were about 7 of them that did the friends. There were quite a few more monsters- some young and some older girls that were not on pointe. The older girls also did a nice russian dance.

• Like 1

Thanks Twinkle Toes

DD is 10 next week and tall.  She is not en pointe.   She looked at EYB rehearsal videos on FB and liked the look of the Friends dance but they were not en pointe. maybe she got it wrong and they were not Friends haha !

Never mind, I am sure she will be delighted with any part and I am pleasantly surprised she got through the audition :-)  

Aurora's friends do one dance en pointe and one in flats. 

As you say no matter what part she gets she will have a great time. 

DD audioned for EYB last night and is going to be in Coppelia in October, her 4th production with them. She was 1 of 8 in quiet possibly the best senior  scholarship group I have seen ( DD has auditioned 6times) Sadly she didn't get it but we could all tell they couldn't decide and kept asking them to do more and more, which I have never seen. 

• Like 1

On 20/06/2017 at 10:00, poodle said:

Thanks Twinkle Toes

DD is 10 next week and tall.  She is not en pointe.   She looked at EYB rehearsal videos on FB and liked the look of the Friends dance but they were not en pointe. maybe she got it wrong and they were not Friends haha !

Never mind, I am sure she will be delighted with any part and I am pleasantly surprised she got through the audition :-)  

My dd was a Friend a few years back and her group was on pointe - they were all about 12/13. I think whether the Friends are on pointe or not depends on what happens and who is available at the casting for that particular production, as they need a specific group who are all about the same height, so once the parts are cast, then EYB will decide. 

• Like 1

Just now, taxi4ballet said:

My dd was one of Aurora's Friends a few years back and her group was on pointe - they were all about 13. I think whether the Friends are on pointe or not depends on what happens and who is available at the casting for that particular production, as they need a specific group who are all about the same height, so once the parts are cast, then EYB will decide. 

On 6/20/2017 at 11:14, Pointetoes said:

Aurora's friends do one dance en pointe and one in flats. 

As you say no matter what part she gets she will have a great time. 

DD audioned for EYB last night and is going to be in Coppelia in October, her 4th production with them. She was 1 of 8 in quiet possibly the best senior  scholarship group I have seen ( DD has auditioned 6times) Sadly she didn't get it but we could all tell they couldn't decide and kept asking them to do more and more, which I have never seen. 

Well done to your DD?

• Like 1

Hello, my dd has been cast as one of Aurora's Friends, which sounds fantastic . Could anyone kindly give an insight into music, costume etc.  Have seen one of the rehearsal dances on FB and wondered what their second dance is. Any information gratefully received. Many thanks.

• Like 1