Friday's first night was also the first time I'd seen any of these ballets live and I also attended today's matinee. Although I may have a slight preference for the one or the other, I enjoyed all the casts and, in fact, every minute. I second Sim's husband - more Ashton please! The way his steps - and his pauses- respond to the music is simply masterful. Others have already said everything better than I could but...

- the 4 lovers in 'The Dream" seemed to me even better at the matinee, as if they'd completely relaxed into their roles after getting over the hurdle of the first night - wonderful timing

- Yudes magnificent

- the woman next to me at the matinee had backstage/RBS (?) contacts who'd told her to watch out for Joseph Sissens in Symphonic Variations, which she passed on to me. Yes!! I don't know much, but I had the same feeling as when I saw Marcelino Sambé in the Pas de Six in Giselle: someone who draws the eye. And Sambé now seems to be going from strength to strength

- Alessandra Ferri especially moving in M&A, somehow brought out even more that "last chance" aspect of the relationship.

- Bolle and Bonelli both impressed as young suitors even though both are rather "mature" in ballet terms. Wish I knew what "elixir" Bolle uses?!

- such great music, well-conducted and well-played (pianos)

Initially I didn't book for the evenings with Osipova/tbc and thought myself lucky to get returns when Polunin was announced. Very happy to see Shklyarov, but even happier to see Dream and Symphonic Variations again. 

• Like 6

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad other posters have helped me to identify Joseph Sissens, I was most impressed by him. I was talking to the lady sitting next to me who told me that she had a friend who refused to go to matinees ' because you don't get the top dancers'! I certainly don't feel I was short changed this afternoon. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

Glad other posters have helped me to identify Joseph Sissens, I was most impressed by him. I was talking to the lady sitting next to me who told me that she had a friend who refused to go to matinees ' because you don't get the top dancers'! I certainly don't feel I was short changed this afternoon. 

Yes- another 'one to watch'- quite a long list nowadays!

He caught my eye too- with that quality that is so hard to describe but, I think, is to do with making a very clear and definitely beautiful shape with every single move; but it is also evident merely in standing still.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

I saw Joseph Sissons at the Yorkshire Ballet Summer School in 2013 and he particularly (and Reece Clarke) really stood out back then. At that point Sissons was about to join the RBS to finish his training after being at Elmhurst. I found this out because I kept asking people who he was and eventually spoke to one of his relatives who was watching the demonstration on the last day. Reece was already at RBS then.

im going to this on Thursday evening ...so Ferri Bonelli cast ....so I do hope Sissons will be dancing that evening too.

Lin, I think you may be mixing up Joe Sissens and Joe Aumeer. Both are incredibly talented young men who graduated from RBS in the same year. Aumeer was at Elmhurst before joining RBS for sixth form and Sissons was at Tring before joining White Lodge in year 10. Aumeer is currently at Paris Opera Ballet. 

• Like 3

No it was definitely Sissens ....it could just be that I've remembered the school incorrectly and I know the boy I saw at YBSS joined the Royal Ballet eventually. This is because I went to see some graduating students in 2015 at the RBS and was sad to see Jo with his leg in a boot!! So he didn't take part in this performance. I recognised him immediately as the boy I'd seen two years before in York. But thanks for pointing out the school mistake. 

Tabitha you may well be correct!!

After looking at some piccies there is one in particular of a group,of boys dressed in turquoise blue and the boy in that picture looks most like the YBSS boy and that says Joseph Aumeer.

Maybe I'm also,a bit confused as I believe he was an Aud Jebsen dancer at the Royal for a while which may be why I thought he had joined the Royal! 

If anyone here is in the know about which Joseph at the RBS had his foot in a boot in June 2015 then that might help as that also looked like the boy I'd seen at YBSS!! 

So curiouser and curiouser........

• Like 1

However now I've just seen another picture of Zucchetti and Sissens in class and that looks just like him too!!

what I noticed in York was the wonderful carriage of the body this Joe had ....he had a very noble bearing was very graceful and had a great jump!!

probably applies to both of them no doubt.

Maybe the only way to check was which of them was at YBSS in 2013 as they definitely weren't both there!! 

• Like 2

I too went to the matinee yesterday and it was a wonderful afternoon.  The music is still going round my head.  Loved The Dream with Hayward and Sambe and I agree with the comments about  Yudes, a wonderful Puck.  Symphonic Variations is a favourite of mine - just felt sorry for Reece Clarke with his costume problems.  I agree with other posters, Joseph Sissons stood out for me.  Ferri and Bonelli were wonderful in Marguerite and Armand, a really amazing performance and I am looking forward to seeing the cinema performances on Wednesday.

Thank you zxDaveM for your wonderful photos.

• Like 7

I echo the comments about the matinee yesterday. The Dream was just glorious and my favourite piece of the day with Yudes as Puck being fantastic. He'll make a great Golden Idol in Bayadere. 

Certainly have been some costume malfunctions lately with Mayerling and yesterday Reece Clarke's top and then Ferri in M&A lost a piece of hair - it was quite interesting to see how the dancers coped:- one of the gentleman friends put his foot on it, slid it to the side and his neighbour picked it up very well handled! 

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 9

39 minutes ago, Don Q Fan said:

I echo the comments about the matinee yesterday. The Dream was just glorious and my favourite piece of the day with Yudes as Puck being fantastic. He'll make a great Golden Idol in Bayadere. 

Certainly have been some costume malfunctions lately with Mayerling and yesterday Reece Clarke's top and then Ferri in M&A lost a piece of hair - it was quite interesting to see how the dancers coped:- one of the gentleman friends put his foot on it, slid it to the side and his neighbour picked it up very well handled! 

And Sambé's wings kept getting caught on his crown. The dancers are brilliant in how professionally they deal with these things.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JohnS said:

My first post for four weeks and so difficult.  My wife Lynn had a catastrophic stroke Sunday 7 May and died the next day - completely unexpected and shocking (Lynn was only 58).  She'd had awful sciatica which had made it difficult at times at the Royal Ballet; indeed for Mayerling, her favourite ballet, she'd sent me to report back but had hoped to make the final performances.  I'd just come home from that wonderful Federico/Laura Mayerling and Lynn was just as enthusiastic as me.  I was very unsure about when I might return to London and the ballet; I'd sent back lots of tickets, including the Mahler 9 LSO concert with Bernard Haitink conducting.  We'd thought it might be one of the last opportunities to see him conduct: we have so many memories of him as the Royal Opera's music director.  But the concert was broadcast, sublime - do catch it on iPlayer if you haven't heard it, and helped me make my mind up to visit London sooner rather than later, let a number of folk know the news, and take in the Ashton Triple bill if I could.

First a thank you for the kindnesses of so many and particularly ROH Box Office, front of house and admin staff.  I've been able to reserve Lynn's favourite seat Stalls H3 in her memory.  Thank you also to the Ballet Forum - still catching up on four weeks of posts but have very much enjoyed the end of the Mayerling thread.  Thanks also (again) to Bangorballetboy for those wonderful curtain call photos - Lynn loved them.

And the Triple bill?  So good to see so many of Lynn's favourites delighting audiences.  Loved the fairies - dare I single out Anna Rose's Moth in the rehearsal and then leading the corp; Laura, Akane and Francesca were all lovely as Titania; Steven's Oberon was perfect - properly had the menace with of course his technical mastery of all the steps; David Yudes as Puck is a super talent; and you can understand why Akane would fall for Bennet's Bottom - no real need for any magic potion.  Symphonic Variations is surely one of the most sublime ballets, certainly had me in tears at the rehearsal.  For the opening night I was in the Balcony, central, unrestricted and so it's wonderful to see the patterns being formed  That position also highlights when symmetries are not perfect - distances between three dancers, different angles of arms.  And as many have said Joseph Sissens was a revelation.  I found the Alessandra/Federico performances absolutely compelling, with Gary as the father, and more tears at the matinee (not just from me).  I thought Roberto Bolle started rather tentatively on the opening night but wonderful to see Zenaida.  Will catch the cinema performance next week.

So very bitter sweet for me but I'm very pleased to have made the trip and I will be back.  Very fortunate to have a returned ticket for the Royal Ballet School annual performance and booking for Autumn opens shortly.

Our condolences to JohnS, and at his suggestion we have moved his original post and the sympathetic follow-ups to a new topic, Lynn RIP.

• Like 1

Thank you John - and to everyone for all your kindnesses; I am deeply touched.

I will read with great interest news of tonight's performance and of course Zen's final ROH performance later in the week - what a way to end a wonderful season for the Royal Ballet!

• Like 3

John, I'll send you my condolences elsewhere, but did you realise that Zen's last performance (plus the rest of the bill) is being screened to cinemas worldwide on Wednesday (with possible encore showings elsewhere)?

I saw the opening performance and thought I'd wait until I'd seen this Thursday's cast before posting but, on reflection, the moment will probably have passed by then - if it hasn't already.

So, impressions overall - well, I was pretty impressed. You could feel the love and it was well earned.

The Dream was gorgeous with McRae at his faultless best: dazzling technique with the perfect blend of fey, slightly malevolent imperiousness yielding to true rapture in the closing pas de deux. Takada, as usual, danced beautifully but I wasn't totally convinced by the chemistry between her and McRae and I did feel that she could - as I am sure she will in time - add to the characterisation. For me, there was just a little too much of the petulant schoolgirl and not quite enough of the beguiling fairy queen. And I felt that Zucchetti, so fabulous in Tarantella a few days earlier, had made a slightly better fist of Puck last time round. The lovers, all four of them, were pitch-perfect, as were all of the fairies. It is hard to pick out one name, they were all so good.

I loved Symphonic Variations.Beautiful performances from all six. Perfectly coordinated, perfectly interpreted, pretty much perfect all round.

Like many others, I confess that Marguerite and Armand has not been a favourite of mine in the past. Unlike some others, the Rojo/Polunin 'farewell' did not particularly change my mind but Friday's performance pressed an emotional button and I have to say that I absolutely loved it. Symphonic Dances a few days earlier and now a gut-wrenching Marguerite - what will we do without Zenaida Yanowsky?

• Like 9

On 6/3/2017 at 16:44, SPD444 said:

How was Frankie in the Dream

I'm finally getting round to replying to this!

Seeing Hayward's Titania, I was reminded of Ashton explaining that he had cast Sibley because he was looking for "freshness". I can't compare her to anyone else in this run, but that is exactly the quality I thought she conveyed above all others. I wonder how the other Titanias compare on this point.

• Like 3

I was lucky enough to see Sibley and Dowell in the Dream and it is going to be hard to better them but am hopeful that at least Hayward will be just right in this role. Sibley had a sort of gossamer quality among others and definitely the beguiling fairy queen!!

I was impressed a few years back with McRae as Oberon I thought then he did bring a bit of magic and other worldliness to the role but won't be seeing him this time round. 

• Like 3

Back from another wonderful evening at this best of triple bills, and reading the reviews, I was struck by Anna Winter's description of Nunez in SV that 'some secret sublime knowledge seems to inhere within her, shaping the profound sensitivity of her phrasing'

Exactly.

Together with Muntagirov whose equally sublime elegance takes on a new meaning in this piece, it must be my ballet performance of the year.

• Like 2

Such an interesting evening albeit one that has left me with mixed feelings about the performances. 

Morera was outstanding in the Dream but unfortunately Campbell had neither the stage presence nor the steps to convince as Oberon. The lovers comic timing fell rather flat, well short of the first cast and Acri's Puck probably suffered from being seen too soon after Yudes. 

Symphonic was a delight especially Nunez, Muntagirov & Hay. 

In Marguerite & Armand the weight of expectation on Shklyarov showed in a slightly nervous first solo. Once that was out of the way we were left in no doubt about his quality.  He has the most beautiful lines, terrific charisma and is a superb dancer & partner. Osipova did as much as she could for a relatively young ballerina cast in a role that probably should be the preserve of a considerably older dancer - or maybe I just saw her too soon after Ferri.  

Nonetheless, I left thinking Shklyarov is about as perfect a partner as I can imagine for Osipova & in my dreams he will come to dance at the Royal Ballet where I think, at least at the current time, there are better vehicles for the two of them than M & A : just for starters Romeo & Juliet, Manon, Giselle .....

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

Like many others, I confess that Marguerite and Armand has not been a favourite of mine in the past. Unlike some others, the Rojo/Polunin 'farewell' did not particularly change my mind but Friday's performance pressed an emotional button and I have to say that I absolutely loved it. Symphonic Dances a few days earlier and now a gut-wrenching Marguerite - what will we do without Zenaida Yanowsky?

I thought Yanowsky was wonderful in M and A and I also enjoyed the ballet more than before (I never saw it with Fonteyn and Nureyev) She will certainly be missed at the ROH.

Edited by Darlex

I couldn't disagree more about Alexander Campbell. I thought he had tremendous stage presence and authority, and danced really impressively with great control and strength. He was an exceptionally regal king and also superbly conveyed the strangeness of his kingdom. Whereas I found Morera wholly human - excellent dancing, but human. I do agree about SV though - a wonderful performance, full of peace and light. And I thought that Osipova was a tremendous Marguerite, but obviously far too young which really made it a different story altogether. On that basis, it worked beautifully and the ending was agonising. I enjoyed Shklyarov's performance and thought the partnership was very effective.

• Like 1

I thought Osipova and Shklyarov were superb tonight.  Yes, they are young, but that gave a kind of ardour to the physical side of the dancing that translated into the emotional aspect.  I couldn't take my eyes off either of them, so my binoculars were swinging wildly from side to side the whole time.  His 'entrance solo' did have a couple of wobbly bits, but I put this down to the passion of his dancing.  He hit the ground running, and this laid down the gauntlet for the rest of his performance, which I loved.  I found Osipova totally mesmerising, especially in the 'leaving' pdd.  She knew this was it, her first and last real love being denied her, and her pain was clearly evident.  I felt that she was forming a physical and visual photograph of Armand for her to keep with her and remember when he was no longer hers.  It was visceral and heartbreaking, as was the last scene.  I can't wait to see it again.  Shklyarov was a wonderful partner for her, emotionally and dramatically, and I too would love to see him come back and dance with her again.  

Morera was once again a wonderful Titania, with the right combination of comedy and imperiousness....and we all know what a great Ashton dancer she is.  I quite liked Alex Campbell, but Steven McRae is a very tough act to follow and of course this is Alex's first go at this most difficult of roles.  I would call it a work in progress....and he has great potential.

SV was the same cast I commented on above, so suffice to say that I really enjoyed seeing them again.  

• Like 10

Ah, so it was Campbell's debut, was it?  I wasn't sure whether he'd danced it with BRB.

Not connected with the above, but I found myself hoping once again that we'd get a bill featuring The Dream which didn't require Vadim Muntagirov to be dancing anything else, so that we could finally see his much-delayed debut as Oberon (he was supposed to dance it as his graduation performance, and that was years ago now).

• Like 3

My thoughts after tonight. I, too , was slightly disappointed in Alex Campbell's performance, but I can't quite put my finger on why - he danced well. Perhaps  because Luca Acri' s Puck was so good? (Not seen David Yudes so can't comment). But Acri seemed made for the role, his mischievous facial expressions and dancing creating the character effortlessly. And I love Laura Morera - her performance was fantastic.

I had been looking forward to Symphonic Variations for a long time, having never seen it live - but particularly with Muntagirov and Nunez. I was not disappointed. The music, the steps, the costumes and backdrop, all combining in a sublime whole. Everyone performed well, but there is something about Muntagirov's exuberant grace and unique elegance, along with Nunez's inner involvement, and their chemistry , which makes this work on a higher plane. And that after dancing Swan Lake in Vienna only last night!

I was worried about Osipova's Marguerite as I thought she might "overdo" it - but I have to say she was wonderful. Very moving. She and Shklyarov obviously had chemistry - and he performed well - but I couldn't help but imagine Muntagirov in the role - surely he is made for it?? I do hope that he is given a shot at it next season.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Sim said:

I thought Osipova and Shklyarov were superb tonight.  Yes, they are young, but that gave a kind of ardour to the physical side of the dancing that translated into the emotional aspect.  I couldn't take my eyes off either of them, so my binoculars were swinging wildly from side to side the whole time.  His 'entrance solo' did have a couple of wobbly bits, but I put this down to the passion of his dancing.  He hit the ground running, and this laid down the gauntlet for the rest of his performance, which I loved.  I found Osipova totally mesmerising, especially in the 'leaving' pdd.  She knew this was it, her first and last real love being denied her, and her pain was clearly evident.  I felt that she was forming a physical and visual photograph of Armand for her to keep with her and remember when he was no longer hers.  It was visceral and heartbreaking, as was the last scene.  I can't wait to see it again.  Shklyarov was a wonderful partner for her, emotionally and dramatically, and I too would love to see him come back and dance with her again.  

Beautifully put Sim. You have summed up my feelings exactly!

Loved the cast for Symphonic tonight also. Great way to close out the season.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sim said:

Morera was once again a wonderful Titania, with the right combination of comedy and imperiousness....and we all know what a great Ashton dancer she is.  I quite liked Alex Campbell, but Steven McRae is a very tough act to follow and of course this is Alex's first go at this most difficult of roles.  I would call it a work in progress....and he has great potential.

SV was the same cast I commented on above, so suffice to say that I really enjoyed seeing them again.  

Sim you put this all really well & I agree with it, I didn't intend to sound down on Osipova ! As someone else remarked she didn't overdo it at all. I just couldn't get Ferri out of my head and the way her older face with life etched on it seemed to infuse Marguerite with a deeper tragedy than I've seen before. 

True also re McRae/Campbell. 

• Like 4

My first (of four plus hopefully cinema encore on Sunday) to this triple bill - and what a perfect programme to end the season. It was one of those evenings when I just sat for a few moments at the end and didn't really want to go home! 

Like some other posters, I felt that The Dream didn't fully hit the mark - for me it didn't quite have that magic ingredient and some of the performances seemed just a notch down from others I've seen in the past and hope to see later in the week. Having said that a 95% Dream is better than a whole lot of other 100% works!

I am not articulate enough to describe Symphonic - I don't know whether it's the apparent (although we know differently from hearing dancers talking about it) simplicity of the steps that create that feeling of having entered another, perfect, world. Someone said to me once it was 'just 20 minutes of perfection' and that's just what it is. Such a wonderful antidote to what is going in all around us in the outside world.

I, too, thought M&A totally mesmerising - from my seat way up in the amphitheatre it sounded as though Osipova was literally expiring before our eyes - and what a very welcome guest Shklyarov turned out to be.  Really interested to see this again on Saturday and whether Osipova changes her performance as is her wont! 

Roll on Wednesday - for what no doubt will be a very emotional evening.

• Like 7

I was in the amphi, and I think it was the quietest evening I ever remember- at least for about the last 10 minutes you could have heard a pin drop- just that sound of Osipova panting to her death,- (and her acting skills are such that I didn't think her youth mattered.)  It was really quite an eerie and very intense moment I will always remember. It's wonderful when you feel everyone around you sharing the moment.

I had a lovely view of Prince Charles who looked totally engrossed too.

• Like 10