Ocs97

Hello, 

Does anyone know of any good adult ballet summer schools for this summer that you either know about or could recommend? I'm 20 and RAD Intermediate ballet. I am too old for most of the summer schools but still really wanted to do a summer course if it was possible. All help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance 

1 minute ago, Jan McNulty said:

I've added some tags to the thread.  

If you click on the "Adult Ballet" one it comes up with lots of threads that may mention intensives but in any event contain lots of useful information.

Thank you, I will have a look now 

There are still spaces for the July 15/16 retreat at Rambert in London but they won't last long, the waiting list for Leeds is quite long as I understand it, there will likely be another London and Leeds date added this year, If you're at intermediate level you'll find these both challenging and enjoyable.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sophie_rebecca said:

There are still spaces for the July 15/16 retreat at Rambert in London but they won't last long, the waiting list for Leeds is quite long as I understand it, there will likely be another London and Leeds date added this year, If you're at intermediate level you'll find these both challenging and enjoyable.

just to add the Leeds  in august  waiting list started in mid feb  (  i should know i'm on it  from  mid feb ) ... 

if you can make the  July  dates and there are still places  grab it while you can ...  as  the reports   all seem to be that  it's a fabulous  event and i'll be looking out if  dates later i nthe year are added. 

The RAD do a summer course in the evenings in Battersea. The format's changed this year but I really enjoyed last time round - https://www.rad.org.uk/events/adult-summer-course

I also did a variation summer course with Ballet for You last summer. Not sure what's happening this year but the dates have been announced - http://www.balletforyou.co.uk/ballet-blog/2017/3/24/summer-programme-dates-announced

20 hours ago, sophie_rebecca said:

Is there anywhere to stay nearby? Thanks 

Henry St Clair is holding an adult summer performance course on La Bayadere. So far I have heard that rehearsals will be in Fulham Dance Attic and performance at Greenwood Theatre at London bridge. 14-20 Aug (it might be extended to start on 13 Aug, waiting for confirmation):

https://www.balletagent.com/ballet-consult

Chelsea Ballet are holding their summer course at Pineapple in Covent Garden 31 Jul - 5 Aug:

http://www.chelsea-ballet.com/summerschool/

Laban's one is at Deptford 17-28 Jul:

http://www.trinitylaban.ac.uk/take-part/summer-schools/dance-summer-school

These are the ones I know of. Henry St Clair's is performance based (i.e. class is a means to warm up so you do the choreography and get a show together), Chelsea Ballet is more do class and get technically better, both geared towards adults. I have attended both and can recommend both, depends on what you want out of your course.

I went to the Laban one a long time ago (must have been 10 years ago now...! So I don't know if things changed recently), they accepted adults, predominant attended by teens.

Would be interested to hear of the other courses!

S

Edited by select*from
Added dates
  • Like 2

The Place holds several weeks of intensive classes for adults. You sign up for a series across the week. You could also build your own summer school by attending classes intensively at a big studio such as Danceworks. 

• Like 2

Here's the link to The Place ( Iwas on my phone last night):

http://www.theplace.org.uk/summer-dance-courses-2017

And thanks to whoever mentioned the Laban summer school - it looks wonderful! I'm very busy this summer (let no-one ever tell you academics have "long holidays") but maybe next year ...

Also, if you wamnt to combine a week of ballet with trave aer several well-regarded adult ballet summer schools in the USA - if you google "Sun King Dance" (or look for it on FaceBook) I think you'll find the information. SunKing are are the best known, but there are other ones - I think Boston Ballet runs an Adult Ballet student summer intensive as well.

Edited by Kate_N

Yes. I'm going to the one in June! 

http://sunkingdance.com

It's wonderful. This one really really hones in on the technique. Last year I went they dedicated a 1h15m session on head placement. And another one on port de bras alone.

Issue usually is air fare. From January I've been monitoring the flight prices and it's been at around £900 in economy. Recently it's dropped down to around £750 but I've managed to find around £550 in previous years. I'm feeling the weak GBP USD rate here... *sigh*

If you can afford it I highly highly recommend going to Sun King at least once in your lifetime.

Feel free to ask more questions either on here or PM.

S

Edited by select*from

21 hours ago, Ocs97 said:

Is there anywhere to stay nearby? Thanks 

I've not been to the London one yet so can't recommend any hotel but there's, 

Ibis - Blackfriars

Travelodge  - London Central Waterloo

Premiere Inn - London Waterloo

All in walking distance, Rambert is at https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Rambert/@51.5061265,-0.1156433,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x48760e6cbbcf9b61:0x847960275f647346!8m2!3d51.5061232!4d-0.1134546?hl=en

I do the Chelsea Ballet summer school regularly and it is useful in that you only pay for the classes you attend .....so you can do one or up to four a day ( five if you attend the Pilates class as well) so you can make your own daily programme for the week.

It's in the big Pineapple studio right at the top( get a work out just getting up there!) but it's a really nice big studio.

i know someone who attended this who stayed in a University Hall .....can't remember which one now though....for about £50 a day I think. 

There is also a new Cechetti based course running in August this year for a week .....up in Highgate North London which looks very good will post more details when I find the card!! 

Is that the recreation of Maestro Cecchetti's "Six Lessons" - gosh, I'f love to do that. But going into a pirouette from a grande plié in fifth ? Hmmm. I used to be able to do that, but it'd take me more than a week to recover the skill!

• Like 2

Yes Kate it is that course and Julie Cronshaw who is running it will be the best!!

She gave me some cards which I do have but have been away for a week and the fence man has FINALLY arrived this morning (of course) to do the fence in the garden ....but will post details later today......just doing the tea and biscuits!! 

Here is the course "Six Classical Ballet Masterclasses in the Cecchetti Method" 

Its from 7th - 12th August and mon-frid classes are 6.30-8.30 pm with the sat class from 1.30-3.30 pm.

it will be held at Highgate Ballet School, United Reformed Church, South Grove London N.6 6BA

Best way to get there is Archway tube (northern line) and then bus up the hill 271 ....which finishes there ....

and another bus which goes on to Golders Green ....may be 268 will check.

It does say that it's six Advanced level classes for dancers and teachers . It will follow the Physical Principles behind the Method throughout the week.

This would not be for beginners of course ....but could suit anyone from Intermediate level ( or grade 7/8 ....say have passed grade 6 exam or equivalent)   and up as everyone will be working at their own pace within the class. I know Julie would not have invited me to do this course.....as I will be on the lower end of this range.....if she did not think I could cope with it.

You would not necessarily have had to be already trained in the Cecchetti method though.

The classes cost £22 a class.

• Like 1

I will second Chelsea Ballet! I went for the first time last year and can't wait to go back. Exactly what I had been looking for, and such a lovely welcoming atmosphere and I learnt so much. Friends of mine go to the Ballet Retreat in Leeds (We're based in Yorkshire) and love it but I can't really afford that so Chelsea Ballet is perfect for me!

• Like 2