Does anyone suffer from Arthritis?

Lisa O`Brien

Looking up symptoms online [ yes, I know you're not supposed to as it can give you all manner of weird and wonderful things], but I think i've had Osteoarthritis in my right thumb for over a year. Peeling spuds almost daily is incredibly painful. Yet the moment I stop the pain goes away. I've just had to adjust the button on Sean's work trousers and take it out as he's put a bit of weight on around the middle. The pain while sewing on that button was exactly the same as when I peel the potatoes. I almost cried it was that bad. Told him i'm going to teach him to sew so I don't ever have to do it again. A little bit in the palm of my hand too, but predominantly in my thumb. The fact it goes away the second I stop the activity, according to various websites, leads me to think it is OA. I'll be 50 in November so maybe that has something to do with it too. Is it really worthwhile annoying my doctor with? Or should I just soldier on and buy some Ibuprofen? Any advice? Thanks.

He's just walked back in the door after getting out of the taxi[ the school is in a remote area]. He sat down in the taxi and the damn button came off. I literally couldn't sew for any longer. Obviously it wasn't sewed on enough. His other good pair of trousers are in a crumpled heap on his bedroom floor, where he left them after taking them off last night. [ Typical]. So he's gone to the school wearing a nice shirt and a pair of black track suit bottoms. 

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

Do go to the doctor to get it diagnosed. A friend of mine has been having terrible trouble with her thumbs for the last couple of years and is now seeing a consultant.

Relying on pain killers is not a wonderful idea.

• Like 3

It's a common area to get it; both my sister and I have it in the base of our thumbs. It can feel like someone has stuck a knife in there. Mine only emerged after an injury to both thumbs during karate (went for three claps in the air in a press-up session at karate, landed on my outstretched thumbs and ripped them backwards.....) while hers just came on with age.  She has had surgery recently to remove a small bone at the base of each thumb, which seems to have worked well. I just live with mine, but I had to give up karate as a result.  It's worth getting the doctor to check it as there may be changes in diet etc that can at least alleviate it / avoid aggravating it.  

• Like 2

Definitely worth a visit to the GP, Lisa - I hope you are given good advice on treatment and management. And  also a very good reason for Sean to sew on his own buttons (he will need to know how when he goes to university) and to take over the potato peeling (that will also be needed when he goes away!).

• Like 5

I suffer in the winter with arthritis in my fingers. Sometimes it's so bad I can't hold things for long. The distinct lack of heating where I live doesn't help. I wear think woolen gloves inside which does help. They are thin enough so that I can still use the keyboard and sort of hold a pen. No pain killers though.

My knees suffer too - too many motorbike accidents in my younger days. It's worse in the winter. I find keeping them moving helps reduce the ache and ballet class helps in this regard, although there are days I have to forgo the grande plie.

I'm 60. Usually my knees are better than they were a decade ago and my fingers worse, although it can vary. I hate winter! I think I need to move to a warmer climate (like back home to Australia).

• Like 2

Lisa you're still a pup at 50, but OA is not a nice thing to have, wherever it turns up. Like a lot of contact sports persons, I've had more than my share of injuries, and it's as though the arthritis is just waiting to attack the injured part. I have anti inflamms on repeat, but try not to take unless absolutely forced to, or when I'm going somewhere when I need to be fit, such as a holiday etc etc. The strange thing is, you just never know when it's going to rear it's ugly head and strike, as everyone knows it can be extremely painful.

• Like 2

Ibuprofen gel or Voltarol. It is better to apply gel than to take tablets apparently. Gets to work in the right place. Works a treat on my hand - very old injury and they warned me at the time I would get arthritis there.

Do get it checked out by a doctor though, a relation had what he thought was the beginning of arthritis and it turned out to be gout! 

• Like 3

I'm not an expert but I'm 

17 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

Ibuprofen gel or Voltarol. It is better to apply gel than to take tablets apparently. Gets to work in the right place. Works a treat on my hand - very old injury and they warned me at the time I would get arthritis there.

Do get it checked out by a doctor though, a relation had what he thought was the beginning of arthritis and it turned out to be gout! 

I'm pretty sure gout is another form of arthritis, now that IS painful. :(

1 hour ago, Vonrothbart said:

I'm not an expert but I'm 

I'm pretty sure gout is another form of arthritis, now that IS painful. :(

According to brother-in-law who had it, gout is something to do with excess uric acid crystals in the bloodstream working their way into the joints - sounds horrible.

• Like 2

It certainly is horribleT4B, I had a bout a few years ago, in my knee. It was absolute agony for around four days or more, I take the lowest strength Allupurinol, but after trial and error with my food, I was lucky to find I was eating too many nuts, so I have been considering knocking the tablets on the head. The problem with gout is what causes it for one individual, might not have any effect on someone else. It's interesting when you do a little research, eg, if you suffer with gout you shouldn't eat poultry legs but the rest of the bird is fine. There are more purines in the muscle apparently, useless info for most, unless -------------????

• Like 1

It might be best to get it checked out Lisa though often there is not a lot that can be done apart from pain killing anti inflammatories.

i have diagnosed arthritis in my left hip and Lumbar 5 area on the spine. 

The hip hasn't got really painful yet .....well I've never yet been in so much pain that I've cried with it....more of an annoying aching nuisance ...especially at night ...but when it does play up I just use Ibrufen gel or Ibrufen/levamenthol gel. This mostly works pretty well and if need be on occasions I will rest it a bit....but it's a balance of not getting too little or too much exercise! The lower back is always stiff in the morning but improves a lot when I start moving around. It's really awful after long car journeys as when I get out am walking around like I'm 90 something for a few minutes.....certainly never guess then that I'm into ballet!!  

The doctor hasn't put me on anything stronger because he said well does the gel work and I said yes it mostly does and he knows I'm not keen to have any medical interference unless absolutely necessary. He is keen on the ballet and the type of yoga I do so tells me to carry on and go back to him if I feel things have got considerably worse etc......and I would if it was making me cry all the time for sure! 

my Pilates teacher gives me exercises to strengthen the muscles around the hip joint to help support it.

Its all fairly unpredictable though as the doctor says it may just stay the same or may get progressively worse but doesn't think it's too bad for my age!! I can see a future hip job coming up but am really hoping it won't be necessary. 

Arthritis does often start in old injury sites so have probably got my left ankle ...my right ankle ..my left wrist... right knee and both elbows to look forward to!!! 

• Like 2

Hi Lisa, 

A simple blood test will reveal if you have arthritis, there are many types of arthritis and some worse than others. I was diagnosed after dd was born and although prescribed meds initially, I don't take anything now. I have learnt to live with it and when I have a flare up ibuprouen usually works. However my arthritis is mild so occasional ibuprofen is fine, but does have side effects if taken regularly and long term. I would recommend a visit to gp to clarify if you do have arthritis, and then gp can advise best treatment for you. Xx

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Yes, must make an appointment. The problem is, I keep forgetting !! You can only ring first thing on Monday morning. If you forget, by 10.30, they are fully booked for the week and you have to wait until the following Monday to phone all over again.

Yes I would get it checked. It certainly sounds like osteoarthritis (the blood test is for rheumatoid arthritis) or maybe even RSI related depending on your history. As people have said it's usually mainly treated with painkillers but you may be able to get other treatments like steroid injections into the joint. Also, there are loads of companies selling adapted tools/ implements for arthritic hands. I'd suggest you try and invest in some as it will take the strain off the joint. You need to cut down on the movements that cause pain and I feel sure there will be some sort of peeler etc to help you do this!

• Like 1

Lisa most doctors have emergency slots. Even if you have to exaggerate a little just say you have to see the doctor that week or at the very very least ask for a telephone consultation with the doctor. 

If you don't make it sound like something urgent that you can no longer put up with they will fob you off for sure so just be a bit more demanding ....not easy I know with some practice managers. 

I dont want want to go into it on the forum but I very recently have had a series of things happening that I knew needed the immediate attention of a doctor. But I can talk myself out of things if I'm not careful and initially she was going to offer a telephone consultation .....which I've had before and for some things are really great.....but I knew in this instant this would just actually end up being a delay. So I just repeated again what had happened and suddenly a slot for that evening became available!! 

And follow up has now been fantastic and immediate!!

• Like 4