Sergei Polunin - news

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Digressing here a bit, I know, but I picked up a *tennis* book in the library this afternoon and was flipping through it when suddenly the name "Sergei Polunin" jumped out at me from the text. The guy gets everywhere! I'll have to read it now and find out what the reference was.

Thank you, toursenlair.

Is it known whose choreography it is?

In the comments someone stated that Sergei improvised it - if this is dance straight from his heart, what a beautiful and passionate heart he has Edited by Coated
  • Like 7

Sim wrote:

"His dancing is so wonderful here that I can just about forgive what he has done to that      beautiful body with those awful tattoos!"

I have a feeling, Sim, there is some thin link between the two - there is despair in this dance.

Thank you, coated. I have missed that comment.

What an amazing performance! The technique, the expressiveness, the soaring of the soul. What a remarkably compact body he worked out for himself! All this should be noticed by those who repeat that unkind "ballet's bad boy" label. In my view, nobody dances like him at the moment. Other dancers might remind/look like him but he is in the class of his own.

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 7

That building in Maui is stunningly beautiful.  The cinematography ain't no chopped liver either.  :)  Helps to have talented friends when you feel the need to improvise.  Funny, I usually don't like tattoos either ... but on Polunin they seem to suit .. given that they are his ... and we know he feels they are an integral part of his story.  Good luck to him.

• Like 1

My one recollection of Polunin is etched forever in my memory - his entry as Solor in the RB's 'Bayadere'  some years ago (at age 19 or thereabouts). From the moment he set foot on the stage, he simply owned it, surrounded though he was by older, more established dancers, he was unforgettable in his command, beauty and talent, as demonstrated so pointedly in toursenlair's clip.  

At the risk of overstating the case, I don't think we'll see his like again.

• Like 3

My one recollection of Polunin is etched forever in my memory - his entry as Solor in the RB's 'Bayadere'  some years ago (at age 19 or thereabouts). From the moment he set foot on the stage, he simply owned it, surrounded though he was by older, more established dancers, he was unforgettable in his command, beauty and talent, as demonstrated so pointedly in toursenlair's clip.  

At the risk of overstating the case, I don't think we'll see his like again.

I remember that performance too, Ann. Even in Lausanne in 2006, being just 16, he already danced as destined to be a Principal:

Edited: link added.

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 3

Thanks both of you!!

Ive just said on another thread that really anyone who takes part in the Prix .....winner or not....can have a career in Dance if they want it!

But candidates do mature at different ages I suppose .......anywaymust have been a brilliant lot that year if Polunin didn't win it!!

• Like 1

At the end of his first solo you can see Polunin slap Muntagirov on the shoulder (in a friendly way). Shortly after that the latter joined the RBS. I'm surprised that Polunin wasn't the ultimate winner. I thought that I had read somewhere that he had won gold and Muntagirov silver, but perhaps that was another competition. They are only a few months apart in age but I believe that when Polunin joined the RBS at 13 he was put up two years and so they were not in the same school year. Polunin must have joined the RB at 17.

Edited by aileen

Wikipedia says that Chengwu Guo won that year, now a principal with The Australian Ballet.

I've just watched the video of 2006 Prix de Lausanne: Chengwu Guo won the second prize and the contemporary one.

Polunin won the first prize and the edition of the prix, plus the audience prize.

Muntagirov was in 4th position. Trzensimiech was among the finalists.

• Like 2

The prix website has all the prize winners in year order, and it looks like in prize order. So first prize at the top of the year and so on. If that is the case, then Polunin came after Muntagirov. That's probably a more reliable source than Wikipedia.

This has just been talked about for this years Prix thread!!

There is a separate Contemporary winner.

An Audience Prize

Then six prizes(scholarship awards)

These are announced prize 6 then 5 then 4 and so on the person who gets announced last (no.1) is the main prize winner and gets the actual medal.

The main prize winner has the first pick of any schools he/she wants and then down to no6 ......who would have last pick ......But all,of these can still attend the networking day to speak to others who may be interested in them.

I agree it can be confusing as often the way it is announced it seems as if all the prize winners are equal.....but they are not quite

There are no gold or silver medals as such at the Prix de Lausanne ......that could be for other competitions.

Will have a look on their site for 2006........though three amazing names in the same year mentioned above ....all have had chance of brilliant careers if wanted.

Hmm not as easy to find out as one may think!!

On their website for 2006 ....it just lists the prize winners but doesn't say who got the actual medal as such.

Will keep trying!

Looking at the two videos though of Polunin and Muntagirov would say that on that day in 2006 Polunin was the better dancer I imagine he must have won the medal as they are both similar in age .......sometimes they seem to go for the younger students for the top prize probably something to do with schools wanting final training??

Chengwu Guo won the Contemporary prize......did he also win another scholarship prize then(someone said he came "second" in 2006

Is their an actual video of them receiving their prizes in 2006 as this is definitely not clear on the info part of their website.

It would be clear if could see them receive the prizes as the actual "winner" is the last one given out!!