• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, Ellie, I also found the full details:

Dancer             Sergei Polunin

Video               David LaChapelle, Hana Productions 

Choreography  Jade Hale-Christofi 

Music               Hozier, Take me to Church 

I sent the link to a few friends. All of them were impressed but some complained about his tattoos. I would have needed HERE just one - for me they are a part of the anguish.

One of the friends responded: “I thought 'the angst is at having desecrated your God-given body'!“ He added that there were nearly half-million viewings to this clip in 3 days!!! 

What a performance! And IDEAL dancing, both classical and modern in one piece.

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 2

Jade Hale-Christofi was an extra member of ENB during last summer.

{Hope that isn't going too much off topic!]

I think, capybara, it is not off topic at all since Jade Hale-Christofi created choreography for the hero of this topic.

This video has already gained more than 1.8 million viewings since it was posted online earlier this week.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/moscow-ballet-star-sergei-polunin-in-stunning-hozier-video/515834.html

There are also media responses in The Independent and New York Post. 

This clip can be of good service to the popularity of ballet in general.

• Like 2

OK, I'm showing my age here. Is this song or singer really famous? 1.8 million views is a lot in four or five days.

Aileen, I've known the song for a while, but only because my children have been listening to it :) My daughter (who doesn't really like ballet) loved this clip though, so it obviously appeals to the youngsters ! And it is all over facebook - being shared by dance, and non dance lovers, so as Amelia said, it's a great service to ballet !

My 14 year old (ballet dancing) daughter has just watched this. She thought that Polunin was amazing in this and wondered whether he is more suited to contemporary dance than classical ballet.

This performance clearly demonstrated that Polunin is great in both.

Personally I am sure that no contemporary dancer could dance this piece as Polunin amazingly did because of his perfect classical technique. I long so much to see him in classical ballets.

• Like 4

I think that Jade H-C is to be congratulated for his choreography which shows Polunin to such advantage. Polunin is mesmerising in this and it takes me back to his stunning performance of Narcisse in the first Men in Motion programme. As has been said above, it blends the classical and the contemporary beautifully. I don't like tattoos at all but a huge number of young people of all social classes have them and there is something compelling about the juxtaposition of tattoos with an elite art. Nigel Kennedy certainly seemed to trade on his cockney, ragamuffin image to great effect. It would be great to see Polunin perform this piece in London but perhaps something would be lost in the gloom of a theatre.

Edited by aileen

The tattoos certainly serve him well, pretty much all the publicity around him calls him the "bad boy of ballet", and I'll wager this is this rather than his technique that got him hired for this video.

The video was shared by my step-sister on Facebook, she doesn't know the name of a single dancer, and I'm not convinced she now knows his.

Tattoos are becoming quite fashionable nowadays and even the British Army has recently relaxed its regulations:-

http://www.army.mod.uk/news/26584.aspx

Whether Sergei's would pass all the tests I do not know. The trouble is that they are more or less permanent and the more popular tattoos become the sooner they will become unfashionable.

• Like 1

A frog, I don't know any other dancer who could pull this off, and that's not just because of Polunin's tattoos. His physique is beautiful; he is a great dancer and he is suitably moody and angst-ridden. Most other dancers would look too classical, too prissy or too conventional.

• Like 4

According

A frog, I don't know any other dancer who could pull this off, and that's not just because of Polunin's tattoos. His physique is beautiful; he is a great dancer and he is suitably moody and angst-ridden. Most other dancers would look too classical, too prissy or too conventional.

According to this Marie Claire article, Polunin is 15% Millepied.   To wit:  "Danse classique oblige, Sergeï a forcément un peu de Benjamin Millepied en lui!"

http://www.marieclaire.fr/,qui-es-tu-sergei-polounine-danseur-hypnotique-du-clip-de-lachapelle,733351.asp

Go figure. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

What a ridiculous comment. Sergei is 100% Sergei and doesn't have, or need, anything of anybody else. He is unique, and a dancer whose ilk we see once in a generation, if we're lucky.

Yes, but Sim do you really think these comparisons were meant to be taken seriously (i.e., on a linear line)?  I certainly thought the intent was otherwise.  That said Millepied was a very fine dancer himself.  and on the basic terms of comparison only methinks - even on a relatively miniscule basis - you could do a lot worse.  Look at Woetzel - who in my book - and that of Baryishnikov - was one of those balletic 'once in a generation' talents - but who sadly only danced but one movement of one ballet in this country.  He is never drawn out in any lists here.  It is, I think, all about a certain kind of exposure - often away from the pure art form itself.  It was this that Balanchine famously said should be avoided at all costs.  Polunin has fought for this kind of celebrity.  He has lived in an age of it.  That no doubt helped to define his/our perceptions. That he has achieved it is unquestioned.  I think - if you read between its lines - THAT is what the Marie Claire article was focusing upon.  I do think they meant the absurdity to be pointed.  I may, of course, be very wrong.  The comment about Millepied was - if you take it at its face value - a dig at the local press for being parochial.  How often has than been the case in the 'best of' or comparison situations here?  'Enough said' I mumbled to myself when I saw this.  Certainly I smiled. 

Edited by Bruce Wall

Yes, but Sim do you really think these comparisons were meant to be taken seriously (i.e., on a linear line)?  I certainly thought the intent was otherwise.  That said Millepied was a very fine dancer himself.  and on the basic terms of comparison only methinks - even on a relatively miniscule basis - you could do a lot worse.  Look at Woetzel - who in my book - and that of Baryishnikov - was one of those balletic 'once in a generation' talents - but who sadly only danced but one movement of one ballet in this country.  He is never drawn out in any lists here.  It is, I think, all about a certain kind of exposure - often away from the pure art form itself.  It was this that Balanchine famously said should be avoided at all costs.  Polunin has fought for this kind of celebrity.  He has lived in an age of it.  That no doubt helped to define his/our perceptions. That he has achieved it is unquestioned.  I think - if you read between its lines - THAT is what the Marie Claire article was focusing upon.  I do think they meant the absurdity to be pointed.  I may, of course, be very wrong.  The comment about Millepied was - if you take it at its face value - a dig at the local press for being parochial.  How often has than been the case in the 'best of' or comparison situations here?  'Enough said' I mumbled to myself when I saw this.  Certainly I smiled. 

I've just had a look at the article and think it is typical of a fashion magazine looking to fill its pages!  

Interesting Bruce that you chose to highlight the Millepied bullet point when perhaps the conclusion is more pertinent ... or were you trying to cause controversy and comment yourself?

I've just had a look at the article and think it is typical of a fashion magazine looking to fill its pages!  

Interesting Bruce that you chose to highlight the Millepied bullet point when perhaps the conclusion is more pertinent ... or were you trying to cause controversy and comment yourself?

No, Janet - nothing so focused, I fear.  It was only that it was the only bullet item that specifically addressed ballet itself ... which was, in and of itself, part of the parcel of this article i thought.  Perhaps even that - however - was giving it too much credit.  I don't know.  Sadly, I don't spend much time reading Marie Claire ... or such like .... so certainly I can't comment on the standard of such overall philosophies.    It was, I thought, - for the reasons I stated - amusing - otherwise I would not have quoted the link: Promise. Certainly I didn't think it was anything that anyone should take too seriously ... even though I did feel it apt for a section entitled 'Sergei Polunin - news' as he was the specific vehicle - the catalyst - for what I took to be the sting of their absurdity. This is decidedly Polunin 'news' in the lower case ... as itemised above.

Edited by Bruce Wall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vjPBrBU-TM

It was just typical glossy magazine article, but did show some thought had gone into it, saying that different facets of his appeal were shared by other popular dancers/performers.  I think the comment that he is 25% Maddie Ziegler holds up if you look at the clip from the link embedded there.

• 4 weeks later...

Polunin will replace David Hallberg as Natalia Osipova's partner in Giselle at La Scala on April 10 and 11.

http://www.teatroall...15/giselle.html

This is a shame in one sense as Natalia Osipova in a truly WONDERFUL and delightfully annimated BA interview  on Wednesday, 11.3.15 said that 'my heart belongs to David Hallberg' in terms of her partners.  She said it was just something that happened 'when our eyes meet'.  She said he was the only dancer to actually 'anticipate my thoughts'.  I am sure she will be well served by Polunin, however, and with any luck Hallberg will be back soon.  Hallberg too has publicly stated his affection for dancing with Osipova and he said her being with the Bolshoi was a major driver in his decision to join.  The irony was that by the time he had actually arrived Osipova and Vasiliev had departed the Bolshoi, their mother company - and one that Osipova called 'my first love' whilst gently placing her hand to her heart - and, of course, not all that long after Osipova was to leave ABT for the RB too.  This was to have been a year where Hallberg and Osipova made up for their lost time together and shared many performances at both ABT and La Scala.  Then, of course, came Hallberg's medical difficulties and delayed recovery.  Where there is a will, there must be a way.  I'm sure they will dance together again soon.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

David LaChapelle, 'Philomena' producers team on Sergei Polunin documentary.

... “Dancer”, currently in post-production, will offer an immersive and personal portrait of Polunin, the 25-year-old Ukrainian star, described by critics as “the James Dean of the ballet world” and “the most naturally gifted male ballet dancer of his generation”...

Read more:

http://www.screendaily.com/news/lachapelle-philomena-producers-team-on-sergei-polunin-film/5086842.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS&contentID=40562

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Russell Malifantom??!! Love it!

What I don't love is the ever increasing amount of tattoos Sergei is splashing all over his body.  I notice he has 'Natasha' tattooed on his left hand.....I hope they never split up!!  :)   He seems to have some very big and broad-ranging future plans, so I hope they come to fruition.  What I really hope is to see him dance on the ROH stage again, preferably with Natalia and preferably in Giselle.  Hey....a girl can dream, right?!

Interesting interviews, thanks John.

• Like 6

It is not surprising. As John wrote: “Translations are not exactly idiomatic”.

In both Russian and English texts the name “Malifant” is preceded by a preposition “with” (Russian “c”), which required the name “Maliphant” to be declined and used in Instrumental Case. Hence the ending “-om”. So, whoever translated it - a person or an online translator - the name was just copied in the inflected form. :)
  • Like 3