RB Period 2 Casting

Hope there are no typos! I'd be grateful if those of you who have your About The House could check as I think I only have a very short window for editing.

Period 2 Casting * = role debut with RB at ROH

Firebird mixed bill

December 22

The Firebird: Cuthbertson*, Gartside*, Bhavnani*, Avis

In the Night: Lamb*, Nuñez*, Cojocaru*, Bonelli*, Pennefather*, Kobborg*

Raymonda: Act III: Yanowsky, Kish*, Arestis, Hirano*

December 29

1.30pm

The Firebird: Cuthbertson, Gartside, Bhavnani, Avis

In the Night: Lamb, Nuñez, Cojocaru, Bonelli, Pennefather, Kobborg

Raymonda: Act III: Cojocaru, McRae*, Crawford*, Cervera*

7pm

The Firebird: Galeazzi, Watson, Arestis, Marriott

In the Night: Cuthbertson*, Yanowsky*, Marquez*, Campbell*, Kish*, Acosta*,

Raymonda: Act III: Nuñez, Pennefather, McNally*, Whitehead

January 4

The Firebird: Marquez, Soares, Crawford, Saunders

In the Night: Lamb, Nuñez, Cojocaru, Bonelli, Pennefather, Kobborg

Raymonda : Act III: Yanowsky, Kish, Arestis, Hirano

January 9

The Firebird: Galeazzi, Watson, Arestis, Marriott

In the Night: Cuthbertson, Yanowsky, Marquez, Campbell, Kish, Acosta

Raymonda: Act III: Cojocaru, McRae, Crawford Cervera

January 11

The Firebird: Marquez, Soares, Crawford, Saunders

In the Night: Cuthbertson, Yanowsky, Marquez, Campbell, Kish, Acosta

Raymonda: Act III: Nuñez, Pennefather, McNally, Whitehead

Onegin

January 19, 23, 30 and Feb 2 mat: Cojocaru, Kobborg, Takada, McRae, Gartside

January 22, 25, 31 and Feb 5: Morera, Bonelli, Choe, Zucchetti*, Avis

January 26 mat, Feb 1, Feb 7 Nuñez*, Soares, Hinkis*, Trzensimiech*, Whitehead

Feb 2 eve, Feb 8: Lamb*, Hristov*, Naghdi*, Kish*, Hirano

Ashton mixed bill

Feb 12

La Valse: Kobayashi, Raine, Crawford, Hirano, Gartside, Maloney*

Thaïs pdd: Benjamin, Hristov*

Voices of Spring pdd: Cojocaru, McRae

Monotones I: Trzensimiech*, Maguire*, Takada*

Monotones II: Nuñez*, Bonelli*, Watson*

Marguerite and Armand: Rojo, Polunin

Feb 13

La Valse: Bhavnani*, McNally, McCulloch, Hristov*, Kura*, Whitehead

Thaïs pdd: Lamb, Pennefather

Voices of Spring pdd: Morera, Campbell*

Monotones I: Dyer*, Naghdi*, Pajdak*

Monotones II: Arestis*, Hirano*, Kish*

Marguerite and Armand: Yanowsky, Bonelli

Feb 15

La Valse: Kobayashi, Raine, Crawford, Hirano, Gartside, Maloney

Thaïs pdd: Galeazzi, Soares

Voices of Spring pdd: Choe*, Zucchetti*

Monotones I: Trzensimiech, Maguire, Takada

Monotones II: Nuñez, Bonelli, Watson

Feb 21

La Valse: Kobayashi, Raine, Crawford, Hirano, Gartside, Maloney

Thaïs pdd: Benjamin, Hristov

Voices of Spring pdd: Cojocaru, McRae

Monotones I: Trzensimiech, Maguire, Takada

Monotones II: Nuñez, Bonelli, Watson

Feb 23

La Valse: Bhavnani, McNally, McCulloch, Hristov, Kura, Whitehead

Thaïs pdd: Lamb, Pennefather

Voices of Spring pdd: Morera, Campbell

Monotones I I: Dyer, Naghdi, Pajdak

Monotones II: Arestis, Hirano, Kish

Marguerite and Armand: Yanowsky, Bonelli

Apollo mixed bill

New Wheeldon and New Ratmansky TBC

Apollo

Feb 22, March 9 Acosta, Nuñez*

Feb 23 12.30pm, March 7 Bonelli, Cuthbertson*

March 14 Pennefather*, Lamb*

Edited by John Mallinson

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks very much, Bluebird. Way too much to take in there (I thought the version I'd seen previously must be very incomplete), although a few things struck me:

So, Leanne Benjamin's no longer doing Firebird :(. Nor, for that matter, is Hristov, though he does benefit elsewhere.

Kobborg must be a debut in In The Night, too.

Didn't Watson and Arestis do Monotones II last time around, back in about 2001?

Damn. No Stepanek doing Lensky :( And yes, I find the absence of Ms Stix-Brunell's name in the casting a bit strange, too.

Good to have the secondary casting up front, though.

She'll surely be busy working with Wheeldon on his new ballet :)

Also, she's done a lot over the past six months..."burn-out" prevention maybe (?)

Too much too soon isn't always to the advantage of such young dancers, they also have to cope with huge mental and physical pressures, and as the audience we sometimes forget this (IMHO).

• Like 1

I'd like to add...

I am really pleased to see other young dancers are being nurtured too, and given opportunities Kevin O'Hare feels they deserve. Imagine RB had only nurtured Polunin when he and fellow dancers joined the company :)

She'll surely be busy working with Wheeldon on his new ballet smile.png

Also, she's done a lot over the past six months..."burn-out" prevention maybe (?)

Too much too soon isn't always to the advantage of such young dancers, they also have to cope with huge mental and physical pressures, and as the audience we sometimes forget this (IMHO).

Oh, I quite agree. But I thought she might have popped up in something, perhaps Monotones? On the other hand, I suppose she doesn't have much experience of Ashton as yet.

Delighted to see Mara Galeazzi cast as Firebird but less than amused to see she isn't doing Tatiana in Onegin.

Me too, now you point it out, especially since I always thought she was the best of the Tatianas made available to us. Unless Reid Anderson wanted to make his choice from dancers he could actually see, and she was still on maternity leave? But then, as I've said over the last 10 years, nothing would really surprise me about the Onegin casting.

Interesting to see Sarah Lamb cast as Tatiana (I admit I'm taking a particular interest as she'll be dancing it on my birthday and I plan to force my family to come and see Onegin - my favourite ballet - with me :) ) - I think I've only ever seen her in abstract roles. Has anyone seen her in, eg R&J/Manon (has she done them with RB? I don't even know...) or something similarly dramatic? I don't ever think of her as being a dramatic dancer in the style of Rojo, Cojocaru, Nunez et al - but maybe that's just because I've never seen her do it. I'm wondering if my birthday Onegin trip might be better placed the day before with the Nunez/Soares cast. I'll probably see both casts anyway but I'm determined that Onegin is going to convince my dad that ballets other than The Nutcracker are worth seeing! I feel like Nunez/Soares will be a safer bet for that...

Interesting to see Sarah Lamb cast as Tatiana (I admit I'm taking a particular interest as she'll be dancing it on my birthday and I plan to force my family to come and see Onegin - my favourite ballet - with me :) ) - I think I've only ever seen her in abstract roles. Has anyone seen her in, eg R&J/Manon (has she done them with RB? I don't even know...) or something similarly dramatic? I don't ever think of her as being a dramatic dancer in the style of Rojo, Cojocaru, Nunez et al - but maybe that's just because I've never seen her do it. I'm wondering if my birthday Onegin trip might be better placed the day before with the Nunez/Soares cast. I'll probably see both casts anyway but I'm determined that Onegin is going to convince my dad that ballets other than The Nutcracker are worth seeing! I feel like Nunez/Soares will be a safer bet for that...

Lamb's Manon with Pennefather was one of the finest I have seen. I had the pleasure of sitting next to Sarah Lamb at dinner a few years ago and she said that the role she most wanted to dance was Tatiana.

I fully agree with the comment above. Sarah Lamb's Manon was beautiful. I did not take to her easily in the past but she's changed my mind after I'd seen her dance as Manon. She took my breath away, honestly. I'll certainly be going to see her cast (Lamb/Hristov/Naghdi/Kish).

I've just realised that we've only been given two names for each of the Apollo performances in Period 2. If my memory serves me correctly, at his recent Ballet Association talk, Kevin O'Hare made a point of saying he believed in announcing detailed casting in advance.

I thought I remembered that all three muses have been announced in previous years. I therefore did a search and came up with the following, very detailed, casting announcement for the April 2003 Apollo (announced in late October 2002) Changes were made later (eg I think Lauren Cuthbertson was replaced) but we were, nonetheless, given a very good idea of what to expect

http://www.danze.co..../news/1538.html

Let's hope that Kevin O'Hare remembers his promise and gives us some more names before we have to book!

• 2 months later...

Maybe not an entirely appropriate place to add this, but it really didn't deserve a new thread:

On looking through the Period 2 brochure, I notice that the number of announced filmings of various performances, ballet and opera, ranges from 1 to 3 nights. They usually appear to do a backup for cinema broadcasts (apart from Nutcracker this time), but what about those performances where there either doesn't appear to be a broadcast, or there are 3 recordings? DVDs? TV? It would be interesting to know.

Interesting to see Sarah Lamb cast as Tatiana (I admit I'm taking a particular interest as she'll be dancing it on my birthday and I plan to force my family to come and see Onegin - my favourite ballet - with me :) ) - I think I've only ever seen her in abstract roles. Has anyone seen her in, eg R&J/Manon (has she done them with RB?

Sarah is probably the most intelligent dancer in the company (especially now Tamara Rojo left), and for me, brings a lot to her performances in the 'story' ballets as she gives them a lot of thought, as well as dancing them brilliantly (OK, i'll admit i'm bisased, as he is one of my fave dancers). Her Manon was sublime, her Juliet was wonderful, her Odette/Odile magnificent. So I have no doubt her Tatiana will be worth watching (oh - and watch out for Yasmine Nagdhi's 'Olga' too - a young dancer with a big future, I'm sure)

• Like 1

Thanks Dave. I suppose the downside to booking to see specific casts is that you end up (if, like me, you only see one or two) always seeing the same dancers and not giving the others a chance - and then come out with horribly biased assumptions like the one I made above :unsure:

Based on everything here I'm really looking forward to seeing Sarah Lamb's Tatiana - and have talked the family into it too, so hopefully she'll have 4 new fans!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't ever think of her as being a dramatic dancer in the style of Rojo, Cojocaru, Nunez et al -

Nunez? really? Maybe my dance training has coloured my view...love Nunez but she wouldn't be high up on my list as a dramatic dancer...

Jamdancer - thanks for posting after lurking for a few months (looking at your joined date). I've not got dance training but I have often been pleasantly surprised by dancers I wouldn't have expected to have been cast have proved me to be entirely wrong about my expectation. Let's hope that is the case this time.

Looking forward to more of your posts.

• 5 weeks later...

Tipped off by a posting on Twitter, I see that Fumi Kaneko is replacing Lauren Cuthbertson in her one public performance as the Sugar Plum Fairy on 15th January. I suppose that doesn't bode well for her scheduled Firebirds either, although she's still showing as cast for that one.

I *will* get to see Lauren as SPF one of these years ... Grrrr.

Itziar Mendizabal replaces Lauren in The Firebird.

That's such a shame - I was looking forward to Lauren's Firebird. Mind you, I've been really impressed with Mendizabal recently (particularly liked her in Concerto) so eager to see her interpretation. Any news on if Lauren with be doing In The Night in the same triple bill? It's such a shame Lauren's injury is taking some time to recover from (I'm guessing it's the same thing as her operation this summer) but hopefully by not rushing back she'll be fighting fit for later in the season - with Alice (inc a live relay), Bayadere and Mayerling she's got a very busy BP3!

I was wondering who might replace Lauren, it seemed only a matter of who, not whether. I have seen Itziar a few times but cannot remember anything about her. Is she likely to be a good replacement? I am really looking forward to this triple bill as I have not been able to afford to go to the ballet for a while. Does anyone know if there are any other cast changes in place or on the cards and why is the ROH website so woefully slow to update? I am particularly looking forward to seeing Zenaida in Raymonda. If she drops out I will scream.

I can't remember who the original In the Night casts were but it's now:

22 Dec mat, 29 Dec mat, 4 Jan - Lamb / Bonelli, Nuñez / Pennefather, Cojocaru / Kobborg

29 Dec eve, 9 Jan, 11 Jan - Maguire / Campbell, Yanowsky / Kish, Marquez / Acosta

At yesterday's Insight evening Emma Maguire rehearsed the 1st pdd with Tristan Dyer (Alex Campbell was at BRB performing in Cinderella). Also, Itziar Mendizabal was coached in The Firebird by Monica Mason who mentioned that Itziar has danced the role many times with Leipzig Ballet.

• Like 1

I can't remember who the original In the Night casts were but it's now:

22 Dec mat, 29 Dec mat, 4 Jan - Lamb / Bonelli, Nuñez / Pennefather, Cojocaru / Kobborg

29 Dec eve, 9 Jan, 11 Jan - Maguire / Campbell, Yanowsky / Kish, Marquez / Acosta

Yes, Maguire is replacing Cuthbertson. I did wonder if Mendizabal had danced Firebird elsewhere.