Royal Ballet Autumn 2017 Casting

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that Jeffrey Cirio is a wonderful dancer but what a weird message Tamara Rojo sends to the audience and her own company when she gives the part of the Messenger to a guest dancer !  :(   Come on she has so many wonderful artists !

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Updates to The Nutcracker casting:

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-changes-the-nutcracker-201718

"On 5 December (matinee), 20 December (matinee) and 23 December, Anna Rose O'Sullivan will replace Emma Maguire in the role of Clara.

On 28 December (matinee), 29 December, 1 January and 4 January (matinee), Tristan Dyer will replace Marcelino Sambé in the role of Hans-Peter/The Nutcracker.

On 3 January, 5 January and 10 January, Benjamin Ella will replace Luca Acri in the role of Hans-Peter/The Nutcracker.

On 4 and 10 January, Ryoichi Hirano will replace Valeri Hristov in the role of the Prince."

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, capybara said:

In The Nutcracker on 9th December, James Hay replaces Benjamin Ella as Hans Peter: http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-change-james-hay-to-dance-in-the-nutcracker-on-9-december-2017

In Sylvia on 11th December, Vadim Muntagirov replaces Federico Bonelli: http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-change-vadim-muntagirov-to-dance-in-sylvia-on-11-december-2017

Hope Bonelli is not injured - how I wish I had a ticket for the 11th!

• 4 weeks later...

McRae has explained his "injury" on his Instagram:

"THIS LOOKS DRAMATIC BUT IT IS NOT" (he's wearing a "boot" in the pic)

"I needed a little injection to help improve a long lasting niggle so unfortunately I won't be performing The Prince in The Nutcracker tomorrow 5th January at the @royaloperahouse - I will be doing some extra body maintenance over the next few weeks in order to be stronger and healthier for the exciting repertoire that remains this season!"

How disappointing for Steven McRae, I do hope he recovers quickly. And what an exciting opportunity for Benjamin Ella.

On the subject of which, I’m really interested to hear if anyone knows what the ‘contingency plans’ are when an artist is injured - assume they rehearse at least one or two understudies for each role of a production? I noticed a significant number of cast changes at The Nutcracker on Monday and was impressed that the quality was still of such a high standard when I anticipate they wouldn’t have had much if any time to rehearse with the rest of the cast. 

I’d assume that first choice in the case of injury in a leading role would be another principal/dancer already due to perform the same role eg Bonelli replacing McRae as Prince in The Nutcracker. But would understudies rehearsing for principal roles generally come from the first soloists/soloists? If my memory serves me correctly (which it may not!), am I right in recalling that Akane Takada replaced someone as the titular role in Giselle when she was a first soloist a few years abo?

Please excuse my ignorance. Eager to learn and understand more about how things work!

4 hours ago, Riva said:

I noticed a significant number of cast changes at The Nutcracker on Monday and was impressed that the quality was still of such a high standard when I anticipate they wouldn’t have had much if any time to rehearse with the rest of the cast. 

I believe that the cast sheets over the Christmas/New Year period are produced well in advance as the printers are closed, so what look like huge changes to us may well be simply regular events which we don't usually perceive as the cast sheets are printed much later, thus meaning that fewer changes are needed on the slips.  OTOH, if there's a bout of flu/stomach problems etc. in the Company that's a different question.