Royal Ballet Autumn 2017 Casting

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 19/09/2017 at 13:43, RuthE said:

Sadly he's only doing that single performance with what's now Anna Rose's cast - I have a ticket for her other one, when it's Calvin Richardson. No offence intended towards him but I am already seeing him on a different date, so would have preferred to see Sissens - I enjoyed both their takes on it at the recent Insight, and they were so different.  I can't make it additionally on September 28th.

Scheduling issues, presumably.

The casting has now been changed so that Sissens is dancing with both Anna Rose's casts, on the 28th and the 14th - hoping it stays that way for the same reason!

• Like 4

Oh, that's excellent news!

This means, in fact, that even though I am currently only planning to see it three times (four if my plea on the Tickets Wanted forum bears any fruit), I get to see all of the dancers who were featured in the Insight.  I was really hoping this would be the case as I find it fascinating to watch a dancer perform a role when I've seen them being coached on it.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 19:40, alison said:

Hmm, didn't take long for Yanowsky to "un-retire", did it? :)

Well, she is listed as a guest artist, so presumably that means she's going to turn up from time to time. And I suppose the Queen of Hearts is one of the roles we might expect to see her turn up in.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, capybara said:

Laura Morera replaces Zenaida Yanowsky in Alice on 27th September: http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-change-alices-adventures-in-wonderland-on-27-september-2017

Ah, maybe that's why we had a late cast change at the Dress Rehearsal today, the Akane as Alice cast, Claire Calvert replaced Laura Morera as Queen of Hearts.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, alison said:

Not any more, he isn't :(

I noticed as I sat down with my glass of wine!  My loud 'oh no' made the person at the next table ask me what was wrong!  Any idea what happened or was he miffed at that review that hinted his powers were declining?  Absolute rubbish.  James Hay was lovely but didn't have all the little Watson touches nor the distracted eccentricity.  Come back Ed - I will sort that critic out!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, capybara said:

I like James Hay in the role too.

They're keeping very quiet about Edward Watson being replaced, though, aren't they? Just on the cast list; no announcement. Hope he's OK.

Yes, it's weird.  I posted a comment about it on the ROH website and its been moderated out.  Has something happened?  

5 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

I tweeted him to ask if is okay but nothing so far which is also strange as he usually responds.  Does anyone have any idea?

I have no inside knowledge but I think at this point we should let it rest. If he wants anything known he'll respond.

• Like 7

ENB have now announced the Song of The Earth cast (in the order of Lead Lady, Lead Man and Messenger):

Tuesday 24 October

Erina Takahashi, Isaac Hernandez, Jeffrey Cirio

Wednesday 1 November

Tamara Rojo, Joseph Caley, Jeffrey Cirio

Precious Adams will dance in Élite Syncopations October 18 and 19.

https://www.ballet.org.uk/production/kenneth-macmillan-national-celebration/#cast-section

Edited to add that to get the Song casting, you need to click on "see casting for all dates"  Also, I originally posted this in the overall Royal Ballet 2017/18 season thread.  Maybe a moderator could remove the duplicate post from that thread?

Edited by Bluebird

Quite frankly I wouldn't have been unhappy with either of those Song of the Earth casts!  But I'm getting Tamara so will be especially happy to see her back on the ROH stage.

Is Elite Syncopations a cross-company production, then?  I'm afraid I've lost track of who's doing what!  I was watching that rehearsal on World Ballet Day with Yuhui Choe, Melissa Hamilton and Laura Morera from the RB, so I'd been thinking that one must be an RB performance.  Concerto is BRB on their own, isn't it?  I'm confused now!

I believe Elite has dancers from all the companies, although whether all in the same performance I'm not sure.

My best guess would be that a Northern Ballet male dancer will be in the Alaskan Rag as the other companies don't seem to have anyone short enough these days.  (I hate being heightist)

• Like 1

I believe that Precious Adams is dancing the Monica Mason solo. Some of the performances of Elite Syncopations have ENB in the mix, others not, so the casting is a bit confusing.

I wish that Ken Saruhashi, who has been with ENB since his time in the ENB School, had been given one of the shows as The Messenger. He was stunning last Saturday in Manchester - but more of that later on another thread.

• Like 4