Adult Ballet Intensive UK (The Ballet Retreat)

sophie_rebecca

Just thought I'd share this as adult focused intensives are rare, The Ballet Retreat is run by Hannah Bateman (Of northern Ballet) and David Paul Kierce (Currently at Ballet Central), They are normally operated two or three times a year & book up quick! Venues are Northern Ballet & Rambert Dance, they just added another Rambert Dance weekend due to high demand (15th & 16th July ) https://www.theballetretreat.com/

I went to the January one at Northern & had the most amazing time, the morning classes are group / company classes the afternoon breaks into learning a variation, in Jan it was a bluebird variation, everyone was so friendly & helped each other out, David has a wonderfully fun teaching style & manages to cater right the way through ability levels.

If you fancy a full weekend of dance I can highly recommend it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Here is a link to the Ballet Retreat website:

https://www.theballetretreat.com

The Leeds weekend at the end of August is showing as "sold out" but they may have a waiting list.

I booked into the Leeds one in back in Jan & I believe there was already a waiting list in Feb :( I don't know how long the list is but I do know they're planning to add more dates, the 15th / 16th was just announced today hence I thought I'd share it.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Here is a link to the Ballet Retreat website:

https://www.theballetretreat.com

The Leeds weekend at the end of August is showing as "sold out" but they may have a waiting list.

They do have  a waiting list and   that waiting  list started in mid Feb ! 

i don't think it's  in any way  'bad'  ( other than  being on the list  rather than  having got in while there was still  normal places) that there is a waiting list ... 

Edited by mph
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...
9 hours ago, Miss Sparkle said:

I've signed up for the October Ballet Retreat in London - let's see how I get on!

as Jan points out there;s a number of threads on  TBR  on here   and    quite a few of the TBR  regulars including facualty are  social media savvy  - we can be found on  twitter  and in various of the  ballet groups on facebook 

• 1 month later...
  • Jan McNulty changed the title to Adult Ballet Intensive UK (The Ballet Retreat)
  • 2 months later...

This may not be the right place to post so mods please move if necessary. I am hoping to celebrate my graduation from law school with a big trip to Europe and the UK. Does anyone know of any adult ballet intensives that either are running, or are likely to run, in mid to late January 2019? I know it's a bit of a weird time but I have a few weeks to kill either in England or France before I'm due in Germany and I thought, why not spend it dancing?

48 minutes ago, Viv said:

This may not be the right place to post so mods please move if necessary. I am hoping to celebrate my graduation from law school with a big trip to Europe and the UK. Does anyone know of any adult ballet intensives that either are running, or are likely to run, in mid to late January 2019? I know it's a bit of a weird time but I have a few weeks to kill either in England or France before I'm due in Germany and I thought, why not spend it dancing?

depends what you  define as  'mid' january ...   as TBR have run  a 2 day (weekend) retreat in Leeds  early to mid January  for the past couple of years . 

from 2 or 3 year in the first year of TBR,  2018 saw / sees  the following

January 2 day  in Leeds 
March 2 day  in London 
May 1 day  Corps  in Leeds 
June  2 day in London 
August  3 day in Leeds 
October 2 day in London 

and to  clarify  again i have  no commercial interest in TBR, just a very satisfied  customer  and part of the  TBR 'family' 

Edited by Nicola H
  • Like 1

My sister is leaving me in London on 16 Jan and I'm meeting a friend either in France or Germany on 2 February, so really anywhere in those two weeks. Any part of England (and I suppose anywhere west of Germany!) would work.

Just now, Viv said:

My sister is leaving me in London on 16 Jan and I'm meeting a friend either in France or Germany on 2 February, so really anywhere in those two weeks. Any part of England (and I suppose anywhere west of Germany!) would work.

i see 

the January  2018 TBR was  the  weekend 'before' that ...  and  based on previous Form  the dates for Jan 2019 will be released   at the beginning of September 

Is there a London October 2018 one? 

Got confused with the dates above as realised the May posts were May 2017!! Then wondered why February comes after May etc before I clicked!! So the October date referred to above for London is that for 2018? I've been attending some classes at the Rambert Studios in the past few months and the studios are fab!

Many thanks

Linda 

Thanks Janet have just had a look and you have to email them before booking so have just sent of an email.

It doesn't say sold out by it at the moment but it may depend on how often they update the website etc etc.

Ive been meaning to do one of these for a while as I really love David Kierce and having someone of the quality of Hannah Bateman should be great but only the dates for the three days ones have been okay so far and I think may be a bit too much for me these days but the two day ones should be okay. Hopefully if still places on the October one will finally make it!! 

Just now, LinMM said:

Thanks Janet have just had a look and you have to email them before booking so have just sent of an email.

It doesn't say sold out by it at the moment but it may depend on how often they update the website etc etc.

Ive been meaning to do one of these for a while as I really love David Kierce and having someone of the quality of Hannah Bateman should be great but only the dates for the three days ones have been okay so far and I think may be a bit too much for me these days but the two day ones should be okay. Hopefully if still places on the October one will finally make it!! 

There's some info on their Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/theballetretreat/ 

From May 24th "Our June Retreat is now fully sold out but there are still places on our August Three Day Retreat"

I'd take from that that October has some free dates, Hannah is pretty good at responding to e-mails at the end of the day as I think she's in the studio a lot of the time.

Soph

• Like 2

That's good ....you also second guessed me as the next thing I was going to ask is how long usually is the response to emails!!

will definitely book October if places are available anyway.....unless I'm too old already😊

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Viv said:

Does anyone know of any adult ballet intensives that either are running, or are likely to run, in mid to late January 2019?

Viv, could you do a DIY intensive by a week of a range of classes in London? Danceworks for ballet, The Place for cOntemporary - try also floor barre with Nina Thilas-Mohs, and maybe some expert PiIates? 

You could easily do 2 -3 classes of various genres each day in a really integrated way.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Viv, there's a contact form on TBR website - you could try asking if they have the dates for the January retreat yet:

https://www.theballetretreat.com/contact-us-and-booking  (scroll down).

The  dates and venues are to a greater or lesser extent in the hands of others  , hence the reason   the May  1 day  corps  day  was 'across  the road' at  Yorkshire Dance  rather  than  at Northern  ( YD's studios  are  pretty  fab as well  - as  @sophie_rebecca  and others who did  the may 1 day  or have been involved in other things  there will attest )

as Sophie  points out   Hannah does sometimes  respond to  the emails at  'strange' times  -  but it has to be remembered that  TBR is  (at present and for the forseeable)  a side  project for her -  and that there isn't  a admin minion  - it's all Hannah /David /Gavin / Andrew  doing their  bits around their  'day jobs' ... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LinMM said:

I do hate sending emails from inside websites though as you have no record of having sent it! I'd much rather a proper email address was given. 

'proper' email for TBR

hannah@theballetretreat.com  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Many thanks Nicola will try this one as well!! ( Not heard yet)

Northern  are in Manchester Salford this week 
Hannah is one of the Janes  and  Gavin  is dancing  as well ( and  doing  some digital stuff   with a take over the the Lowry's insta and  twitter feeds )

• 1 month later...