What do people know about L'Elisir d'Amore ...

alison

Pretty traditional - and actually delightful - production. The show tends to be a banker so I am sure tickets will shift nearer the time (as has been discussed here in the past, London audiences are making up their minds later and later these days).

Also it has been on a fair bit in the last years - and of course Donizetti does not arose the interest of the truly obsessed audience members in the way that, say, Wagner does.

Hope you go as you should have a great time!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alison said:

Yes, but with Villazon *and* Alagna?!

I wouldn't fork out for Villazon these days, even if he weren't such a cancellation risk. And Alagna is on again in Turandot, which has featured less than the Donizetti recently (though you could argue that Nemorino is a better fit for him).

Agree it's a lovely, sunny production, though, and definitely worth seeing.

I'd just like to point out the performance on Sunday 11th June when the tenor is Ivan Magri, who I presume has been engaged for the whole run to cover the other two tenors, neither of whom is 100% reliable at turning up.  I attended Magri's recital at the Wigmore Hall last Monday and he should make a fine Nemorino - a nice warm timbre and appealing stage presence.

Edited by RuthE
  • Like 1

I would also recommend Pretty Yende very highly in the role of Adina - she has done two London recitals but this will be her UK opera debut.  I Heard her Pamina at the Met and her Lucia di Lammermoor in Paris.

• 2 months later...

Was anyone else at last Monday's amazing performance? Young Artist Jennifer Davis stood in for Aleksandra Kurzak for the second time and Ioan Hotea, in an ROH debut, was pulled up from the audience to replace Roberto Alagna after the thankfully short first act. All I can say is Wow! Every one of those audience bravos was richly deserved. Together they delivered the freshness and credibility that this production so needs. Amazing chemistry, note-perfect delivery and one of the best performances of Una Furtiva Lagrima that I have heard in a long time. Here's hoping the casting directors were present!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Maestri played Dulcamara in the 2012 run so knows the production. I saw him in that run & thought he was very good in the role. He had great stage presence. I'd seen on Twitter that Terfel missed the previous performance & was replaced by a singer I'd not heard of. Since tonight is the cinecast presumably they wanted a bigger name as the Dulcamara replacement - and Maestri counts as a bigger name in every sense of the word! His best known role is Falstaff, which he's sung all over the place including the ROH, Met & Wiener Staatsoper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

I was just checking on tonight's cinema relay of L'Elisir and see that Bryn Terfel has been replaced by Ambrogio Maestri - does anyone know anything about him, please?

Oh no....some friends of mine splurged on good tix at the ROH especially to see Terfel.  They almost never go to the opera.  

Apologies - I hadn’t noticed the dates until I got to ‘6 years later’.
I do recall hearing Pavarotti many years ago. Fabulous voice of course but he remained virtually stationary on stage with the other singers having to provide all the movement.

• Like 1

He'd never have fitted in this production, then!

I have to say, I'm not sure I've heard such sustained applause at the ROH for any performance as tonight's - at least, as far as I could judge from the cinecast.  It was certainly well deserved - and Maestri was a highly acceptable substitute for Terfel.  My only problem was the subtitles being out of sync, which made it pretty difficult to work out what was going on at times. 

• Like 1