Bolshoi Ballet coming - summer 2013!!!

Staying away? Why should they?

Whether they should or not is clearly a matter of opinion.  But they might possibly feel that staying away is a more civilised, and even a more effective, way to demonstrate a degree of dismay at the parlous state of affairs at the Bolshoi than slashing tyres or countenancing acid attacks.  I'm with those who hesitated before booking for the London tour but decided in the end to do so.

• Like 2

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously its a personal decision but I fail to see how staying away solves anything.The attack on Sergei beggars belief and I'm sure the vast majority of dancers and staff at the Bolshoi were as appalled as all of us who frequent this forum.I will definitely be there to give them my support.

I also gave it some consideration prior to actually booking tickets for London. When SF was transferred to Germany for further treatment I sent an email to the Bolshoi wishing him well and letting them know how I felt about the horrible attack. I received a very friendly email back and they suggested they would find a way to let SF know about people writing in. So maybe letting them know people around the world still care and follow the investigations to get the guilty ones and to know the real story behind this attack will help them to introduce profound changes in their system of how they run the theater.

Reading the letter several dancers, musicians and other Russian people have signed I'm even more confused and unable to figure out what is going on.

• Like 1

Quote:

Definitely staying away - to indicate my opposition to Putin's regime that allows such lawless tyranny to flourish. 

Sorry, I’m of a different opinion. Following this logic hundreds of hard-working dancers and other workers of the Bolshoi Theatre are supposed to be boycotted as not worthy of continuing their professional life and earning an honest livelihood - because of the horrendous crime committed by 1 or 3 people and now, additionally, because of Putin’s regime.

Dreadful crimes do happen. Political regimes can be monstrous. But why to pick on a ballet company and make it pay for crimes of others?

There was a protest march today here in London, starting in the Holloway Road, Islington, about … we can read in papers what it was about. Whatever happened there I am sure that the protesters didn’t call to stay away from the performances of the top ballet company in London.
  • Like 3

I had no hesitation in booking tickets irrespective of the troubles - it's the Bolshoi the world's greatest ballet company - a no brainer for me.  What DID stop me booking was the horrendous ticket prices, so far I have just 2 tickets - La Bayadere and Jewels, and I found the seats on dates I wanted were gone in flash so had to settle for different dates mid week evening performance which is inconvenient for me being 200 miles away.  I think that more tickets sold this time than the last time they were here.  The lack of preliminary casting is a nuisance but it'll be good whatever.

• Like 1

My concern roots from that I would hate to applaude someone who was involved in planning and/or organising this horrible attack. I sincerly hope the case will be fully solved soon. I'm glad I purchased tickets mainly for The Flames.

• Like 1

I had no hesitation in booking tickets irrespective of the troubles - it's the Bolshoi the world's greatest ballet company - a no brainer for me.  What DID stop me booking was the horrendous ticket prices, so far I have just 2 tickets - La Bayadere and Jewels, and I found the seats on dates I wanted were gone in flash so had to settle for different dates mid week evening performance which is inconvenient for me being 200 miles away.  I think that more tickets sold this time than the last time they were here.  The lack of preliminary casting is a nuisance but it'll be good whatever.

Just how horrendous are the ticket prices, if you don't mind me asking?

Ismene Brown has posted available preliminary casting for some dates, not sure where she found it but gave cut & paste from her article thus morning.

Swan Lake - 29 July, Svetlana Zakharova/ Ruslan Skvortsov; 15 August Olga Smirnova/ Semyon Chudin

La Bayadère - 2 August, Zakharova (Nikiya)/ Maria Alexandrova (Gamzatti)/ Vladislav Lantratov (Solor); 3 August (eve) Smirnova/ Ekaterina Krysanova/ Chudin

The Sleeping Beauty - 5 August, Nina Kaptsova (Aurora)/ Ekaterina Shipulina (Lilac Fairy)/ Artem Ovcharenko; 6 August, Zakharova/ Smirnova/ Ruslan Skvortsov; 8 August, Maria Alexandrova/Smirnova/ Semyon Chudin

Jewels - Emeralds: 12 August, Evgenia Obraztsova/ Lantratov; 13 August, Kaptsova/ Dmitri Gudanov;

Rubies: 12 August, Ekaterina Krysanova/ Gudanov/ Shipulina; 13 August, Kristina Kretova/ Andrei Merkuriev/ Yulia Grebenshchikova

Diamonds: 12 August, Svetlana Zakharova/ Alexander Volchkov; 13 August, Olga Smirnova/ Semyon Chudin

The Flames of Paris - 16 August, Natalia Osipova /Ivan Vasiliev

• Like 2

Katherine....I didn't even bother looking at anything other than the lower end of the scale....but my standing tickets, which cost either £6.00 or £10 when the RB is dancing, cost £18 for the Bolshoi.  I mean, I know it's incredibly expensive bringing such a large company over here, but these prices will be offputting to many.  As it is I only bought for myself this time, but would have loved to have taken my daughter too.  Luckily, I don't think she's too bothered!!

I would point out that the Bolshoi seating and price plan available on the ROH website is inaccurate for the central amphi rows L-M, they are in fact £55/£60 and not £36/£42, the cheap seats (?) start at row N, £36/£42 will also get you a seat from about row J on the sides, the top amphi price of £66/£70 goes up to centre row H. I call these prices horrendous too.

Thanks for the casting, I'm tempted to book for Maria Alexandrova's Sleeping Beauty on 8th August!

..but my standing tickets, which cost either £6.00 or £10 when the RB is dancing, cost £18 for the Bolshoi.  I mean, I know it's incredibly expensive bringing such a large company over here, but these prices will be offputting to many.

I (and my wallet) feel much the same - OUCH - but when cinemas in London are charging £23 for the live relays it is, I think, hard to argue.  (Call it a sign of our times.  Ah, well ... Just wait until NEXT time, huh ... ) 

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 1

Just how horrendous are the ticket prices, if you don't mind me asking?

Balcony Centre A-C tickets - where I like to sit - £97 and £85 - Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty are the dearer ones the other ballets the lesser ones.  DG Tier are £120 and £110 as are top Stalls and Front row centre Amphi are £70 for some perfs OMG!

Edited by Don Q Fan

Well, since it appears that Friends of Covent Garden have got in ahead of mailing-list members, I doubt there'll be any cheap tickets left by the time I come to book, so the issue may be decided for me.

There aren't that many sold it's the like of standing tickets that go quickly.  I believe that ROH restrict seats available to Friends and save some for VHH and general booking or is that a figment of my imagination?

20% of the House, as I understand it, is held for general sale as a condition of the £21 million subsidy to which we all contribute to.  Of course that may well be different with the Bolshoi as it is a private rental.  That said, last time there were plenty of seats/spaces for weeks before they came.  

Just out of curiosity I checked a few performances and there are still plenty of tickets available in all categories. Even The Flames on Friday where everybody is betting on Osipova/Vasiliev still hold 50+ and 100+ tickets in the different areas. With Hochhaeuser mailing list access everybody should still be able to purchase their tickets (I guess).

There aren't that many sold it's the like of standing tickets that go quickly.  I believe that ROH restrict seats available to Friends and save some for VHH and general booking or is that a figment of my imagination?

For visiting companies I don't think that the ROH restricts seats available to Friends. I've always had the impression that they release virtually all seats at the start of Priority Booking (although they presumably hold some back for VIPs and critics)

As a matter of interest,  I've just checked and there are a number of stalls circle standing left for some Swan Lake performances but I couldn't see any for the other programmes. 

Balcony Centre A-C tickets - where I like to sit - £97 and £85 - Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty are the dearer ones the other ballets the lesser ones.  DG Tier are £120 and £110 as are top Stalls and Front row centre Amphi are £70 for some perfs OMG!

Those are pretty much standard ticket prices to see the National Ballet of Canada in Toronto! When the Bolshoi comes here, they charge even more. While you're reeling from Bolshoi sticker shock, be thankful you have access to ballet at less than that most of the time.

• Like 2

For visiting companies I don't think that the ROH restricts seats available to Friends. I've always had the impression that they release virtually all seats at the start of Priority Booking (although they presumably hold some back for VIPs and critics)

As a matter of interest,  I've just checked and there are a number of stalls circle standing left for some Swan Lake performances but I couldn't see any for the other programmes. 

I thought there was a maximum of 9 tickets for Friend's Bolshoi, but either they have relaxed that rule due to low sales, or it is 9 per peformance!

I thought there was a maximum of 9 tickets for Friend's Bolshoi, but either they have relaxed that rule due to low sales, or it is 9 per peformance!

9 per performance has been the Friends' allocation for Hochhauser performances for quite some time.

Those are pretty much standard ticket prices to see the National Ballet of Canada in Toronto! When the Bolshoi comes here, they charge even more. While you're reeling from Bolshoi sticker shock, be thankful you have access to ballet at less than that most of the time.

Out in the provinces it is cheaper I agree, but London isn't "that" cheap either.  I wasn't being ungrateful I would have just liked to buy more but the prices made that less possible than in the past.  C'est la vie.

I and all my friends who are Friends read the letter accompanying AtH as setting a maximum of 9 for the entire Bolshoi season, but the box office told me it was 9 per performance.

Out in the provinces it is cheaper I agree, but London isn't "that" cheap either.  I wasn't being ungrateful I would have just liked to buy more but the prices made that less possible than in the past.  C'est la vie.

Everything is relative. I know Royal B is more expensive, but top price for ENB's mixed this April is 67 pounds (and they have a 2-for-1 deal as well!). That works out to about $107.  For that in Toronto, the closest you get is the 4th balcony.  Our "stalls" seats are the equivalent of 110 pounds, and we don't have cheaper prices for mixed programs. Ironically, people in London are getting to see NBOC in Ratmansky's R&J next month for 45 pounds top price ($72) when we just finished paying more than twice that much to see it here last week.  And we support the company through donations, too!

• Like 1

I'm not surprised.  Having just received the summer booking tome from the ROH, I've just finished pencilling the dates into my diary, and was horrified to see quite how many Swan Lakes there were.  Not to mention Beauties.  Having seen them on-screen, neither are high-priority for me.

Some Russian publications informed their readers of the new wave of rumours that ballet lovers in England are prepared to boycot the forthcoming Bolshoi’s performances at Covent Garden in July-August for being allegedly indignant with the barbaric methods of solving ‘industrial disputes’ in the  celebrated theatre.

Some journalists asked the distinguished critic Clement Crisp to comment on these rumours. His reply was long and contained such words:

‘We loved the Bolshoi since 1956, when it first arrived in London for the tour, which did so much for relationship of Soviet Russia with the rest of the world that no any politicians could do... And no one, I assure you, none of the English ballet lovers intends to change their attitude to the theatre because of the problems experienced by famous troupe today…

… Many have already booked tickets for the upcoming tour…”
  • Like 1