Bolshoi Ballet coming - summer 2013!!!

La Bayadere is really phantastic when danced by the Bolshoi imho - I've seen Zacharova / Tsiskaridze / Alexandrova and Vasiliev as the Bronze Idol. Felt like heaven - they can really display all their virtues in this one and every one from Nikia to the Corps members get their chance to shine

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strangely no Volchkov or Lantratov. Both have roles in this repertoir.

Lantratov was even in the first cast with Alexandrova in 'The Flames of Paris' when they opened in Paris 2 years ago,

And Volchkov dances all ballets as far as I remember.

At the moment it is only specutlation as to who threw the acid at Sergei Filin. Until proven I would not allow what might be false information to cloud my judgement about the company. I would love to have seen the Sleeping Beauty but will be away on holiday in St Petersburgh of all places.

I'm looking forward to a preview of the company's 'Bayadere' at next Sunday's live streaming. Can't remember who the cast is, but its one of my favourite ballets with its lush, exotic setting, exquisite choreography and dramatic storyline. I don't think we've seen a full list of which London cinemas it's being shown at yet, so I'm relying on jmhopton's useful posting on 23 December.

I'm looking forward to a preview of the company's 'Bayadere' at next Sunday's live streaming. Can't remember who the cast is, but its one of my favourite ballets with its lush, exotic setting, exquisite choreography and dramatic storyline. I don't think we've seen a full list of which London cinemas it's being shown at yet, so I'm relying on jmhopton's useful posting on 23 December.

Try that useful site you posted - but perhaps not yet: it seemed to be running a week behind itself.

This is full information on the Bolshoi's website about Galina Stepanenko who will be at the helm of the Bolshoi Ballet for the time being:

http://www.bolshoi.r...ons/ballet/115/

The teacher Marina Kondratyeva said: 'Sergei trusts her; he must do what he thinks is needed. He is in constant contact with her, gives her instructions, he is practically IN the theatre.'

Edit: The second para added.

Edited by Amelia

Also, note from that that, with two 25-minute intervals the ballet came in at around 3 hours 10 minutes.  I don't imagine it'll be an earlier start, so thought I'd mention it for those who have trains to catch.

• 3 weeks later...

Strangely no Volchkov or Lantratov. Both have roles in this repertoir.

Lantratov was even in the first cast with Alexandrova in 'The Flames of Paris' when they opened in Paris 2 years ago,

And Volchkov dances all ballets as far as I remember.

Volchkov is now listed on the Hochhauser website but sadly not Lantratov ...... disappointing if he doesn't come :(

I couldn't see any names of those coming on VH website now at all.

The names appear listed as "Principal Dancers ...." after the Flames of Paris picture. I suppose they could just be listing the company principals although Olga Smirnova is included in the women.

Thank you, Annamk, found with your help. Yes, 3 leading soloists - Nikulina, Stashkevich and Lopatin, and a first soloist Smirnova are listed as Principals, May be for the reason that they will dance title roles? Still…

Let’s hope that Lantratov’s name was omitted accidently.

The triple bill is now replaced by the full performance of Jewels (one assumes due to the McGregor Rite of Spring being pulled)  - according to the ROH Friends Newsletter today - HURRAH Jewels is one of my favourite ballets and to see it by the Bolshoi will be a thrill.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I personally think they will do the evening performances.  They are both doing 2 consecutive nights of Don Q in the Mikhailovsky run so with FoP 2 nights on the run and matinee they would need a rest in between so I think the matinee unlikely.  I could be wrong of course!

Do we know if there will be any form of casting before Friends booking opens on 12 March?  I can't see there being a stampede for tickets anyway at this stage if last time was anything to go by.

• Like 1

I would be surprised if one of the evening performances of Flames of Paris isn't given to Maria Alexandrova and Alexander Volchov, bearing in mind they, not Osipova and Vasiliev, danced the premiere in 2008.

Mind you, anything is possible, even after the casting is announced. Last time the Bolshoi were at the ROH, Osipova and Vasiliev's scheduled date for Don Quixote was switched at very short notice.

James

The triple bill is now replaced by the full performance of Jewels (one assumes due to the McGregor Rite of Spring being pulled)  - according to the ROH Friends Newsletter today - HURRAH Jewels is one of my favourite ballets and to see it by the Bolshoi will be a thrill.

Hope Andrey Merkuriev will be in Rubies...

I personally think they will do the evening performances.  They are both doing 2 consecutive nights of Don Q in the Mikhailovsky run so with FoP 2 nights on the run and matinee they would need a rest in between so I think the matinee unlikely.  I could be wrong of course!

Do we know if there will be any form of casting before Friends booking opens on 12 March?  I can't see there being a stampede for tickets anyway at this stage if last time was anything to go by.

Very frustrating not having the castings!   Don't want to book tickets until I know who's dancing what!   If you aren't a Friend of RoH,  join the Victor Hochhauser mailing list and you will be able to get priority booking at the end of March.

Edited by Caspermil

Hope Andrey Merkuriev will be in Rubies...

Andrei M in ANYTHING would suit me he's such a fab dancer!

Yep got the VH mailing today thank  you and am Friend as well but I agree I want an approximate casting before booking although with no O&V in DonQ I am not too worried who I see!  In a way it is nice to be able to book to suit ME this time rather than whichever dancer is dancing.   That said I would like to catch a glimpse of Olga Smirnova, Maria Alexandrova with Alexander Volvhkov, Andrei Merkuriev, Evgenia Obratsova, Vitaly Bikitimirov(sp) Ekaterina Shipulina and I hope that the character artist who plays DonQ (his name escapes me right now) will be a King in something!!  The Bolshoi will be good whatever.

Edited by Don Q Fan

Does anyone know when casting by performance will be made available?

Email received from Victor Hochhauser this morning:  

The casting for the Bolshoi Ballet’s summer season is still not confirmed, but at present,

Andrei Merkuriev is scheduled to dance in Jewels: Rubies on 13 August 2013.

Even when confirmed, casting is always subject to change; we would suggest checking

the Royal Opera House’s website www.roh.org.uk/bolshoifrom time to time, where the casting

will be published, once confirmed.

If they have the preliminary casting ... as seems to be the case by the appearance of the above notation ... I wonder if they might not share this with us ... given a provisio that it most likely MIGHT change ... (Just a suggestion, of course).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello - introducing myself again as I've just joined this forum. 

In answer to jmhopto above, no casting info for the Bolshoi at ROH this summer was given on the opening of Friends booking on Tuesday 12 March and I'm a basic friend of ROH (or whatever they call the ones that are not super premium ones).

I've booked for Bolshoi La Bayadere in August but it's been a tough decision for me as a ballet lover. In the light of the attack on Filin, it's been hard to decide what to do. I think I've sort of come to the view that the incredible artists of the Bolshoi need support now. Gosh it must be so tough for the Bolshoi dancers right now.

I have to say though, when Friends booking opened for Bolshoi, well frankly ticket sales are poor......

Welcome Nottsballetlover, and thanks for posting...looking forward to hearing more from you!

Like you I had to think long and hard before buying  Bolshoi tickets, but finally decided on Flames of Paris and a  couple of others.

Hi Sim. Thanks for your welcome. I'm very tempted to splash out on Flames of Paris as well.

I'm interested to know what people who love ballet are feeling about buying tickets for Bolshoi this summer. I personally feel we should support the company in this difficult time. 

• Like 2

Congratulations to you, Nottsballetlover and Sim, for buying your tickets. I have to confess that I bought my tickets, all standing, for every single performance and it has not been a tough decision for me to make. How can I miss seeing those gorgeous soloists and excellent corps!

I pray for Sergei Filin’s recovery but this dramatic event cannot stop me loving ballet, and the Bolshoi Ballet in particular. Yes, Sergei is the Artistic Director and there are over 200 dancers in his company. How can it help the recovery of Sergei’s health and spirit if ballet lovers start to hesitate about buying tickets for the Bolshoi’s performances? Sorry, The Bolshoi’s dancers are as strong as ever. That was them who were paying tribute to classics at the Coliseum last Sunday: La fille du pharaoh, Les Sylphides and Diamonds (in all fairness, the Danes did good pdd too).

I am personally looking forward to the Bolshoi’s season with excitement. Of course it would be wonderful to see ‘Le Corsaire’, ‘La fille du pharaoh’, ‘Esmeralda’, ‘Coppelia’, ‘Raymonda’ and ‘The Lost Illusions’ as well. But perhaps some of them will come here in 2015!

• Like 4

I was hoping that a statement would have been announced by Sergei Filin or the Bolshoi Ballet about the London Season, but in the end I too went ahead and booked hoping that I'm helping the dancers and staff who must be worried that everyone will stay away. I have to say that the lack of casting and the (as usual) very high upper amphi prices didn't help, I can't afford my usual seats, so there is bound to be less advance booking than usual but I was still quite surprised at the slow sales.

Everything seems to be carrying on as usual in Moscow, in fact tomorrow night Maria Alexandrova and Nikolai Tsiskaridze dance Sleeping Beauty, it would be interesting to know if the ballet-lovers there are staying away?